Hysteria by Megan Miranda

Authors:Megan Miranda
Info:Walker Childrens (2013), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:NetGalley Books

Hysteria by Megan Miranda

This book holds quite a bit of mystery. You never really know what's really happening to Mallory. Is she crazy, or are there really ghosts of the incident with Brian haunting her?

Mallory is a girl that is beyond confused. She doesn't remember anything but the blood the night Brian died. Not only is she stalked by his ghost, but also his mother. She also feels as though her parents are now afraid of her. They behave differently around her, and aren't sure how to show their support.

The story line moves pretty quickly. Most of the story is how she reacts to different situations. She's not sure how she's supposed to fit in at this new school filled with so many people who judge her without really knowing her. She seems to only have one person who wants to be around her, but she doesn't want to drag him into the place she is in now. She's terrified to let herself feel anything. Throughout the book she begins to remember some things from that night. Slowly things begin to piece themselves together. These memories just might break down the walls she has built around herself involving that frightful night.

Some of the times that Mallory feels the looming presence of Brian gave me the heebie jeebies. The sense of dread snuck up on her, and was very ominous. While this book didn't have the chill factor that I was expecting, I did enjoy the story line. It was easily digested. I also have come to love Miranda's writing. She has a way with words that just pulls you in. I am anxious to read more of her work.

3 1/2 ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Crazy, creepy good.

Hysteria is about a young girl trying to pick up the pieces after a tragic chain of events, that led up to her killing her boyfriend. She doesn’t remember much of what happened that night, and now has been sent to a boarding school to have a new start.
The main character Mallory is broken, and fighting through the guilt. You can’t help but to feel sorry for her, and want to help fix her. now going to a new school doesn’t help either, but she still pushes ahead. Mallory’s best friend was one that every girl should have. The one who sticks by you no matter what, and that is exactly what Colleen does. There were a few secondary characters that you just wanted to smack and some you wanted to shake some sense into. But the one that stood out to me was Reid. He was awesome. they have know each other since they were little, so no inst-love… He like Mallory, was somewhat broken and the sweet romance that built between them was one thing I really enjoyed.
The world building was done very well. Given small flashes of Mallory’s memories of the night she killed her boyfriend was addictive and makes you want to keep reading, so that you have all the answers. The boarding school setting, where secrets are a hot commodity was the perfect setting. It was thrilling and creepy, with hallucinations and bumps in the night keeping you on your toes. It was a excellent murder mystery with twists weaved in and was suspenseful till the very end.
Hysteria has a fantastic cover, characters, and a creepiness that sucks you in. This is definitely something fans of thrillers and mystery will devour, I know I did. I look forward to reading more of Miranda’s work. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
To anyone who's read this: Did the bloody, blistered hand print appearing on her shoulder ever get explained, since there was never any ghost, and all the stuff that happened to her at the boarding school was attributed to the mean girls or Dylan? ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
  scducharme | Sep 13, 2013 |
Caution - 'f'-word use (not much but it is there)

Mallory killed her boyfriend Brian in self defense, yet she has no memory of doing it. She has now moved to a prep academy/boarding school to start over.

Something strange is going on at the school and more lives are in danger. Mallory finds out what is really going on and how it is all tied together.

An okay suspense for teens. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 29, 2013 |
For Luis, who reminded me of the dream that I had forgotten.
My mother hid the knife block.

After stabbing and killing her boyfriend, sixteen-year-old Mallory, who has no memory of the event, is sent away to a boarding school to escape the gossip and threats, but someone or something is following her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,797,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible