Hysteria by Megan Miranda

Info:Walker Childrens (2013), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:NetGalley Books

Hysteria by Megan Miranda

Crazy, creepy good.

Hysteria is about a young girl trying to pick up the pieces after a tragic chain of events, that led up to her killing her boyfriend. She doesn’t remember much of what happened that night, and now has been sent to a boarding school to have a new start.
The main character Mallory is broken, and fighting through the guilt. You can’t help but to feel sorry for her, and want to help fix her. now going to a new school doesn’t help either, but she still pushes ahead. Mallory’s best friend was one that every girl should have. The one who sticks by you no matter what, and that is exactly what Colleen does. There were a few secondary characters that you just wanted to smack and some you wanted to shake some sense into. But the one that stood out to me was Reid. He was awesome. they have know each other since they were little, so no inst-love… He like Mallory, was somewhat broken and the sweet romance that built between them was one thing I really enjoyed.
The world building was done very well. Given small flashes of Mallory’s memories of the night she killed her boyfriend was addictive and makes you want to keep reading, so that you have all the answers. The boarding school setting, where secrets are a hot commodity was the perfect setting. It was thrilling and creepy, with hallucinations and bumps in the night keeping you on your toes. It was a excellent murder mystery with twists weaved in and was suspenseful till the very end.
Hysteria has a fantastic cover, characters, and a creepiness that sucks you in. This is definitely something fans of thrillers and mystery will devour, I know I did. I look forward to reading more of Miranda’s work. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
To anyone who's read this: Did the bloody, blistered hand print appearing on her shoulder ever get explained, since there was never any ghost, and all the stuff that happened to her at the boarding school was attributed to the mean girls or Dylan? ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
  scducharme | Sep 13, 2013 |
Caution - 'f'-word use (not much but it is there)

Mallory killed her boyfriend Brian in self defense, yet she has no memory of doing it. She has now moved to a prep academy/boarding school to start over.

Something strange is going on at the school and more lives are in danger. Mallory finds out what is really going on and how it is all tied together.

An okay suspense for teens. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 29, 2013 |
*ARC received on November 5th 2012 courtesy of Netgalley*

Full review can be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

This was a very nice surprise! The suspense was very well done, I had no idea what was real and what wasn't, and at the same time, I wanted to take Mallory in my arms and hug her and tell her everything would be OK - even if I had no idea if it would or not.

Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
For Luis, who reminded me of the dream that I had forgotten.
My mother hid the knife block.

After stabbing and killing her boyfriend, sixteen-year-old Mallory, who has no memory of the event, is sent away to a boarding school to escape the gossip and threats, but someone or something is following her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible