Ghost Planet by Sharon Lynn Fisher

Ghost Planet (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sharon Lynn Fisher

Member:muddyboy
Title:Ghost Planet
Authors:Sharon Lynn Fisher
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2012), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Ghost Planet by Sharon Lynn Fisher (2012)

A really cool idea, strong start, and then it veered into something I hadn't expected and am not sure I liked. I lost my respect for the story, and my interest in it, somewhere in the last third. ( )
  LarissaGBrown | Dec 26, 2013 |
Full Review to be posted soon:

Quick review and thoughts.

I loved the unusual premise of an alien planet twinned with earth which holds copies of dead people who in some way are linked with the new colonists. Elizabeth who finds herself as a ghost copy after dying soon after arriving is linked with her boss, who has set out the Ghost Protocol which is to ignore the ghost copies. I loved how she never gave up and faded away like other ghosts have done and the romance between her and Murphy who is her boss and the human linked to her. It was sexy and sweet and had a fantastic build-up. In a lot of ways this reminded me a bit of Solaris which had a similar premise but this was much more engaging and I loved how the main plot progressed. It was definitely a surprising gem of a book and I will definitely be checking out Sharon Fisher in the future because Ghost Planet was a refreshing, unique and full of depth and I highly recommended! ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
I purchased this book because the premise intrigued me. I was not disappointed. The world-building is clever and well-done, the characters have deep and fullness, and I enjoyed the developing relationship between the two main characters. The secondary characters added complexity and the twist at the end was mostly unexpected. In particular, I was pleased at the romance. It wasn't instant and it had realistic struggles. I will read more from this author and I've already recommend this book to other people. ( )
  empress8411 | May 17, 2013 |
4 Stars for romance fans not science fiction fans. I really have to fight my biases on this one. Although the premise is creative and thought provoking and I had had hopes here romance trumps science fiction in this book. The book is about a planet in which every human is shadowed by a ghost of someone in there past. The planet seems to have plants that spring an want to participate in the action. So far so good. Whet killed it for me was that the two lead characters Elizabeth and Murphy paw all over each other constantly like two 14 year olds that just discovered sex. He ends way to many sentences referring to her as "Love" (gag) I swear I am romantic but this was way too much. I knew a couple like this when I was younger and they were divorced in three years. My stereotypical bias is that people who enjoy the Bachelor will love this book. The 4 stars is for them. ( )
  muddyboy | Jan 22, 2013 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.
allthingsuf.com

Imagine stepping on to a new planet to find yourself accompanied by the flesh and blood embodiment of a ghost. Human, emotional, totally unaware of their own death or your loss. From that premise GHOST PLANET caught my eye, and after two chapters I was entirely hooked. Having the story told from the perspective of a ghost gives a front row seat to the pain, panic, and uncertainty of their situation. It also makes it impossible to doubt that these resurrected loved ones are anything but real.

The “science” portion of this book’s “science fiction” genre has a lot in common with a good magical system. Well organized enough to keep me interested without becoming so detailed as to bog down the story. While not all of the details quite jive (I never felt that the psychological side effects of interacting with ghosts were resolved), Fisher created a very compelling world. Each human/ghost pairing, irrevocably tied together, was a risk for passion, abuse, and heartbreak. GHOST PLANET reads like a category romance, with a little more emphasis on the plot and not as much character development as I would have liked. I enjoyed how the romantic pairings developed, and would be interested to read how platonic pairs could balance out in the future.

Fans of Anne McCaffrey’s classic space colonization books will find much to enjoy in GHOST PLANET. Romance, space travel, and mysterious planetary forces combine to create a fun, light story.

Sexual Content: Non-explicit sex scenes. ( )
  Capnrandm | Dec 2, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765368978, Mass Market Paperback)

Psychologist Elizabeth Cole prepared for the worst when she accepted a job on a newly discovered world--a world where every colonist is tethered to an alien who manifests in the form of a dead loved one. But she never expected she'd struggle with the requirement to shun these "ghosts." She never expected to be so attracted to the charming Irishman assigned as her supervisor. And she certainly never expected to discover she died in a transport crash en route to the planet.

Reincarnated as a ghost, Elizabeth is symbiotically linked to her supervisor, Murphy--creator of the Ghost Protocol, which forbids him to acknowledge or interact with her. Confused and alone--oppressed by her ghost status and tormented by forbidden love--Elizabeth works to unlock the secrets of her own existence.

But her quest for answers lands her in a tug-of-war between powerful interests, and she soon finds herself a pawn in the struggle for control of the planet...a struggle that could separate her forever from the man that she loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:45 -0400)

As a ghost, psychologist Elizabeth Cole is symbiotically linked to her supervisor and the creator of the Ghost Protector, who is forbidden to interact with her, which prompts her to search for the truth surrounding her own existence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible