Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye

Buddhist Boot Camp (edition 2013)

by Timber Hawkeye

Member:procker87
Title:Buddhist Boot Camp
Authors:Timber Hawkeye
Info:HarperOne (2013), Hardcover, 160 pages

Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye

"Timber Hawkeye is an Israeli-born citizen and resident of the United States. . .[H]is writing, interviews and public talks offer a secular and non-sectarian approach to being at peace with the world, both within and around us." Source: www.wikipedia.com "The chapters are short and you don't have to read them in order. . .He also writes about how simplifying his life enabled him to work less and live a richer life. . ." Source: www.thebohemianbuddist.wordpress.com
  uufnn | Sep 24, 2018 |
Timber Hawkeye starts by saying you can apply Buddhist principles to any life. Then quickly moves into the path to bliss is meditation, service and minimalism. I'm probably being unnecessarily harsh, but I actually thought I would learn something I could actually use in my rather ordinary, pedestrian life where I have commitments to other people. I was very disappointed to be subjected to unrealistic dogma. ( )
  dh-writer | Nov 16, 2017 |
Here's the good news: it's short. AND, the pages are blank (!) ...
...of anything that can be remotely construed as substance.

Maybe reading this after watching Mystery Men last week wasn't a good idea. Timber Hawkeye's (I don't have the desire to find out if that's his real name...) blathering is full of such gems as: "The past will let go of you if you let go of the past." No sh!t. He says LOTS of that crap in this comedic effort. Broad assumptions. Laced with logical fallacies. Misquotes (dude...you could have at least checked that Einstein never said that bit about a fish climbing a tree!)

And pith. This would have pithed me off if I had taken it seriously after the first page. I pithy the fools who think this is more than twitter prattle.

Deserves one star, but I'm being kind this year. Plus he made me laugh.

Want to learn about Buddhism? Read a real book, not this. Now I need to read something to regain the IQ points I lost. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
.. best little book you'll ever read :) ( )
  swampwoman | Jan 13, 2016 |
"Maggot drop an give me 100 push-ups while contemplating pain!"

"While on this 20 mile hike leave behind your desires!"

"You maggots will live in the NOW!"

" I want you too look at all this white space and contemplate the $12.00 you paid for this book"

"Your desire for a book to open the path to enlightenment has trapped you in a consumer mode!" ( )
1 vote misericordia | Feb 19, 2015 |

Buddhism is all about training the mind, and boot camp is an ideal training method for this generation's short attention span. The chapters in this small book can be read in any order, and are short and easy to understand. Each story, inspirational quote and teaching offers mindfulness-enhancing techniques that anyone can relate to. It is very possible (and perfectly okay) for people who are Catholic, Muslim or Jewish, for example, to still find the Buddha's teachings motivational. As the Dalai Lama says, "Don't try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are." There is absolutely no reason to argue over which religion came "first" or whose philosophy is "better". The important thing is to be kind, understanding, peaceful, patient and compassionate, which is actually fundamental in all religions. Whether it's Mother Teresa's acts of charity, Gandhi's perseverance, or your aunt Betty's calm demeanor, it doesn't matter who inspires you, so long as you're motivated to be better today than you were yesterday. Regardless of religion or geographical region, race, ethnicity, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, flexibility or vulnerability, if you do good, you feel good, and if you do bad, you feel bad. Amen! Hallelujah! And all that Jazz! If you agree that Buddhism isn't just about meditating, but also about rolling up your sleeves to actually relieve some of the suffering in the world, then become a fan on Facebook (and a follower on Twitter) to meet other like-minded-folks for beach cleanup events, feeding the homeless, caring for the elderly, community yoga, cooking classes, tutoring, or anything we can each do to help others. You're now a soldier of peace in the army of love; welcome to Buddhist Boot Camp!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

Buddhism is all about training the mind, and boot camp is an ideal training method for this generation's short attention span. The chapters in this small book can be read in any order, and are simple and easy to understand. Each story, inspirational quote, and teaching offers mindfulness-enhancing techniques that anyone can relate to.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,840,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible