The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

The Firebird (edition 2013)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (2)

Member:bookofsecrets
Title:The Firebird
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:paranormal, historical fiction

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

Another great book by Susanna Kearsley. I would suggest that you read The Winter Sea prior to starting this book, and you may want to read The Shadowy Horses as well. The characters interconnect these stories. I loved the ending here for the historical characters... But I can't say why without spoilers. This author really knows how to draw in her readers and get them invested in the dual time stories. And I love how historically accurate the story is, right down to the letters written by even minor characters (such as Rebecca Ogilvie). ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Okay. I am going to call it a day. I have read 31 % and am still not really involved in the story. I do not like the switches from past to now. Normally I do not mind but I do not care about the people in the now, both who can read minds, yes you'd think that would be interesting, but it is not.

Also I am not really into the past. I was wondering after a while if the author keeps on such a slow place with Anna, maybe in the end something will happen. Maybe on the last page? But I do not care anymore to be honest.
No, this is the first book I'd read by this author and although I did not like this one, I do want to try another book of her cause I've read some reviewers who said they were also disappointed with this book, but loved her other ones.

She just did not manage to engage me. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Reading this book, I found myself once again caught up in Kearsley's world. It wasn't until I started reading that I realized this was a sequel and features Rob from a different book in which he was a child which was a welcome surprise. Nicola has always known she was different and was taught to hide her gifts of psychometry which is the ability to touch an object and learn of its history and her ability to speak telepathically to some. Rob has always been encouraged to be proud of his abilities and has been able to hone them over the years. when Nicola comes across the Firebird, she glimpses a history behind it & is compelled to find out the history of the girl she saw in her vision. she enlists the help of Rob who used to be her boyfriend and finds that the more time she spends with him, the more she knows she never stopped loving him. Rob guides her along the way of the journey encouraging her to use her gifts and explore her potential. Eventually they both learn of the history of the girl and together also realize that they are better together than apart and sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and not let fears get in the way. I loved this book and can't wait to read her next one!! ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
As predicted, I loved this book! Historical fiction with that little bit of fantasy and romance woven into it. Susanna Kearsley has never let me down and this story definitely goes into my top five so far for this year.

There are two main characters in this story. The first one, Nicola, lives in the present and has the special gift of "seeing" the details of the items she touches. When an older woman in need of money comes to her with a small carving of a firebird, she hopes to find proof that it once belonged to Empress Catherine of Russia so that she can sell it, Nicola knows it is authentic just from touching it but has no proof but her "gift" of knowing. She enlists the help of a old boyfriend Rob, who has the same gift and they go on a journey that takes place both in the present and the past to find proof that the carving is indeed authentic. The other main character the story is Anna, whose life we see through the visions of Nicola and Rob as they try to unravel the mystery of this firebird.

Susanna Kearsley sucked me immediately into this story as she always does and I found myself completely engrossed in both of the female lead characters and in the details of the historical time period. If you read either The Shadowy Horses or The Winter Sea, you will notice that she bring a few of the minor characters from those stories and features them more prominently in this book. I love how she travels from past to present and back again without the writing being choppy or confusing for the reader. We read one chapter focusing on Nicola and Rob and then move back to the 1700's and join Anna. When I closed the book at the end, I was both satisfied with how each story ended but also sad that it was over. I will be eagerly awaiting Susanna Kearsley's next novel! ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
I liked the fact that this book was connected to the other two Kearsley books I have read. The winter sea introduced us to two figures in the past and now we see their daughters journey. But like her other books she also have people looking into the past. Those two are Nicola and Rob, and Rob we met in The Shadowy Horses, where he was a kid with the sight. Two books connected in this third one.

Like I said, it's about Nicola and Rob. She can touch objects and see their past but she is no where as good at it as Rob. They know each other from before and meet again when she needs to track down the origin of a statue. There is some hidden attraction there too. But Nicola is not as open with her powers as he is. Theirs is the journey from place to place, tracking down a woman named Anna who lived 300 years ago.

And here is the good part, I got totally hooked on Anna's story. It was so good, and sad and I just had to know! They track her from her origin and onward and I can't tell you much without telling it all. But that was a good story. I wanted the whole story as just one story, it was that interesting.

A book that got me hooked ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Successfully blending a contemporary romance with an historical adventure is no easy task, but in The Firebird, author Susanna Kearsley goes one step further, bestowing supernatural abilities upon her protagonist. ... As Nicola and Rob follow clues from Anna’s life, the novel’s focus shifts to the young girl, and the present-day love story is put on the backburner. The shift is so pronounced that scenes featuring Nicola and Rob in the second half of the novel seem jarringly out of place. The rich details of Anna’s story, which includes the appearance of several historical figures, carries the novel, while Nicola’s story pales in comparison.

Though I am old with wandering,
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone…
-W. B. Yeats.
The Song of Wandering Aengus
This book is for Lee Ann Ray, who first suggested I give Robbie his own story.
He sent his mind in search of me that morning.
I might have been mistaken when I thought I saw Rob give a nod of greeting to the empty air behind me. But I didn’t mistake the short laugh he gave, low, nor the phrase he spoke, not for my ears. And in Latin.
“Aye. And when your father was away and fighting and ye were a bairn, why did your mother hide ye with another family?”
“So the bad men widnae find me,” Anna said.
“Exactly.” Colonel Graeme’s voice was a deep rumble in his chest that offered comfort. “They were very brave, your parents. If the agents of Queen Anne had ever chanced to catch your father, he’d have stood through any torture they’d have tried to use upon him and he never would betray his king. But if they’d learned ye were his daughter, if they’d ever taken ye or threatened ye with harm… well, then.” The colonel did not specify what Anna’s father might have done then. All he said was, “Men can bear most hurts, lass, but there’s few of us can bear to see the ones we love best made to suffer for our sake.”
“But Queen Anne’s dead,” said Anna, “and my father, too. So who is left to do me harm?”
“Your father still has brothers, lass, and they still serve the king. And so do I.” His hand felt heavy on her hair. “Those men who sought your father would be happy to lay hold of any one of us and turn us to their cause, and they’d use any means to do it.”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140227663X, Paperback)

Nicola Marter was born with a gift. When she touches an object, she sometimes glimpses those who have owned it before. When a woman arrives with a small wooden carving at the gallery Nicola works at, she can see the object's history and knows that it was named after the Firebird-the mythical creature from an old Russian fable.

Compelled to know more, Nicola follows a young girl named Anna into the past who leads her on a quest through the glittering backdrops of the Jacobites and Russian courts, unearthing a tale of love, courage, and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

Nicola Marter was born with a gift so rare and dangerous, she kept it buried deep. When she encounters a desperate woman trying to sell a small wooden carving called "The Firebird," claiming it belonged to Russia's Empress Catherine, it's a problem. There's no proof. But Nicola's held the object. She knows the woman is telling the truth.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

190 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible