The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

The Firebird (edition 2013)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (2)

Member:bookofsecrets
Title:The Firebird
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:paranormal, historical fiction

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

I found this book by accident and I am so pleased I read it. It is a time slip romance mixed with mystery, a touch of paranormal and a whole lot of wonderful Russian history. I was captivated from the start with Nicola's story, and gradually became hooked on Anna's story as well. It was so nice just to be swept up and taken on an adventure by a great book. I have always been fascinated with Russia and its past, and would love to visit Saint Petersburg some day. This is the first book by Kearsley, but after this one I will be looking for more by this author. ( )
3.5 stars

Generally enjoyable book involving a pair of psychics who view/experience the past in order to research a wooden firebird. The stories (the past one of a young girl losing and finding families in Jacobite Britain, France, and Peter the Great's Russia) parallel each other in some ways, mainly in the romance and personal discoveries. The appealing characters were the best best part of the book.

It was definitely necessary to suspend disbelief with the details of their psychic experiences (much more detailed than any psychic abilities I've ever heard of). I was able to do that for the sake of a story, but I'm not sure if everyone can.

Other frustrations: I feel that the novel would be improved by shortening or eliminating parts of the story, including some romantic parts. (The attractions were clear without more repetition.) I wish, too, that the author had explained the Jacobite Rebellions better (still briefly). I also don't think she needed to wait until the end to tie up all the loose ends. It moved relatively slowly and then quickly resolved everything.

The narration by Katherine Kellgreen was a little over the top; sometimes I got a little tired of the strong accents (Scottish, Irish, Russian). ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed this more in print rather than the audio version. It feels like a missed something. The plot twines around Anna's past and Nicola's present. The Firebird doesn't seem to figure into the plot except as a catalyst for Nicola to reconnect with an old friend, who later becomes a love interest. Anna's story doesn't seem to relate to the firebird at all other than that she is a relative of the current owner or the artifact. That's why I feel like I missed something. It was well written but the alternating timeline was hard to follow on audio. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |
Successfully blending a contemporary romance with an historical adventure is no easy task, but in The Firebird, author Susanna Kearsley goes one step further, bestowing supernatural abilities upon her protagonist. ... As Nicola and Rob follow clues from Anna’s life, the novel’s focus shifts to the young girl, and the present-day love story is put on the backburner. The shift is so pronounced that scenes featuring Nicola and Rob in the second half of the novel seem jarringly out of place. The rich details of Anna’s story, which includes the appearance of several historical figures, carries the novel, while Nicola’s story pales in comparison.

Though I am old with wandering,
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone…
-W. B. Yeats.
The Song of Wandering Aengus
This book is for Lee Ann Ray, who first suggested I give Robbie his own story.
He sent his mind in search of me that morning.
I might have been mistaken when I thought I saw Rob give a nod of greeting to the empty air behind me. But I didn’t mistake the short laugh he gave, low, nor the phrase he spoke, not for my ears. And in Latin.
“Aye. And when your father was away and fighting and ye were a bairn, why did your mother hide ye with another family?”
“So the bad men widnae find me,” Anna said.
“Exactly.” Colonel Graeme’s voice was a deep rumble in his chest that offered comfort. “They were very brave, your parents. If the agents of Queen Anne had ever chanced to catch your father, he’d have stood through any torture they’d have tried to use upon him and he never would betray his king. But if they’d learned ye were his daughter, if they’d ever taken ye or threatened ye with harm… well, then.” The colonel did not specify what Anna’s father might have done then. All he said was, “Men can bear most hurts, lass, but there’s few of us can bear to see the ones we love best made to suffer for our sake.”
“But Queen Anne’s dead,” said Anna, “and my father, too. So who is left to do me harm?”
“Your father still has brothers, lass, and they still serve the king. And so do I.” His hand felt heavy on her hair. “Those men who sought your father would be happy to lay hold of any one of us and turn us to their cause, and they’d use any means to do it.”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140227663X, Paperback)

Nicola Marter was born with a gift. When she touches an object, she sometimes glimpses those who have owned it before. When a woman arrives with a small wooden carving at the gallery Nicola works at, she can see the object's history and knows that it was named after the Firebird-the mythical creature from an old Russian fable.

Compelled to know more, Nicola follows a young girl named Anna into the past who leads her on a quest through the glittering backdrops of the Jacobites and Russian courts, unearthing a tale of love, courage, and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

Nicola Marter was born with a gift so rare and dangerous, she kept it buried deep. When she encounters a desperate woman trying to sell a small wooden carving called "The Firebird," claiming it belonged to Russia's Empress Catherine, it's a problem. There's no proof. But Nicola's held the object. She knows the woman is telling the truth.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

190 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,994,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible