The Vintage Teacup Club by Vanessa Greene

The Vintage Teacup Club (edition 2012)

by Vanessa Greene

Collections:Your library, History
Rating:**1/2

The Vintage Teacup Club by Vanessa Greene

A light and fun novel.
It had me glued to the page, and it makes me want to have a tea part wedding to !
It's not really the most realistic ending, but I liked it nonetheless.
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
I so wanted to like this book but I just couldn't. I was hoping for a heart warming story about friendship but instead I found chick lit drivel that I could hardly get through. The characters weren't well developed and some of the plot twists were just plain dumb and rediculous. I also don't see significant others who never met in the book coming together to boot sale shop for tea cups. Its just ridiculous. This book will be going back to the charity shop that I found it in. ( )
  sscarllet | May 30, 2014 |
In this debut novel by Vanessa Greene, we are swept away to England for a touching story of friendship and how a vintage teacup can bring three women together for a lifetime. The story begins with Jenny, a bride-to-be in search of teacups for her wedding reception. Upon finding the perfect set, she is surrounded by Alison and Maggie, who also have eyes on the exact same set. An argument begins, but ends with all three women deciding to share it. They agree to let Jenny use it first for her wedding reception, then Maggie will use if for her demanding bridal client's Alice in Wonderland wedding reception, and finally, Alison will use it to fill with her popular candle wax and sell like her other popular vintage tea set candles.

Jenny is about to be married and is having fun finding tea sets to complete her vision for a vintage tea party wedding reception. Out of the blue, someone from Jenny's past appears and brings back lots of painful memories. Jenny isn't sure she can move forward in her life and forgive all the damage that has been done.

Alison is married with two teenagers who are constantly challenging her parenting. Her husband, Pete, has been laid off work and Alison realizes their bank account isn't a full as she thought. The dream that she has been waiting for may not be able to happen and she wonders how her family will move forward.

Maggie has built up her flower business and this next wedding could be just the ticket she needs to make it "big time" and open her second shop in London. Someone from Maggie's past also appears and makes her question her future and the Alice in Wonderland themed wedding she is planning with a rude landscaper may put her business dreams out of the picture.

Of course, these women are of different ages and backgrounds but have been joined together by this tea set. All three women find that they are dependent on each other and each one of them guides the others through a crisis in their life. These women become a lifeline of support to each other through their ups and downs.

The book is set in a small village in England and the writing uses British words that those of us in America certainly are not used to using. It really makes you feel like you are immersed in the English culture with words like "flat" in place of house and "Mum" in place of Mom. Everyone, no matter the age or gender, is ready to share a cup of tea with you at any time of day.

Each chapter is told from the perspective of one of the women, with most of them from Jenny's perspective. This type of format always seems to make the story move along quickly and gives you the full picture of their thoughts and emotions.

I found THE VINTAGE TEACUP CLUB to be engaging, believable, and heartwarming. Even though each of the women were at different stages in their life, they were all able to support, encourage and offer just the right amount of guidance to each other. It reminds you of your own circle of friends and how you couldn't have gotten through life without them no matter what stage of life you met them in. I am sure Maggie, Jenny, and Alison will be friends for a lifetime. For all those teenage girls who read SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS by Ann Brashares in 2003, ten years later they can read a more grown-up version of unexpected friendships. ( )
  Staciele | Nov 6, 2013 |
A delightful and easy read.

Despite it taking me only a few hours to read, I really felt for each of the characters. The situations were believable and the realism throughout the book added to the story and the characters. I love realism in fiction and this was particularly believable.

A group of women brought together by chance who ultimately end up changing each other's lives in the most special way. What could be better than that?

This is a great chick-lit, chock full of tea (TEA!) and prettiness and conflict. ( )
  Corazie | Jul 25, 2013 |
This book was a disappointment to me, although it had the making of a good story. Three English women become friends as they all want to buy an antique tea set. They all want the tea set for different purposed and agree to co-operate in finding more vintage tea cups and in the process, they become friends. So far so good.

I thought the writing was a bit heavy handed and the plot somewhat simplistic, but for a chick lit this would not have been that bad. What frustrated me was the illogical alternation of point of view in narrators. About half-way in the book, when Jenny was in focus it was in first person- but whenever all the characters were there, it was in third person plural- so sometimes Jenny was the storyteller, but not always- and I do not see what the editor was thinking of?

Pity, the cover and the idea of the book have perspective. But for me, clearly a case when the cover is sooo much better than the book. ( )
  Bookoholic73 | Apr 15, 2013 |

At a car boot sale in Sussex, three very different women meet and fall for the same vintage teaset. They decide to share it - and form a friendship that changes their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible