Next by Gordon Pinsent

Other authors:George Anthony
Info:McClelland & Stewart (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Next by Gordon Pinsent

The Good Stuff

I was worried at first when I started reading this and just couldn't get into it, because I have mad love for Mr Pinsent. So I flicked on an episode of Due South, heard his voice, and voila, just needed to hear his voice to understand why I was having a difficulty. You must hear his manner of speech to understand his way of writing.
Classy
Very frank, doesn't hold back on some of his less than stellar moments in his life
Also likes to poke fun at himself
Interesting to learn about the life of a Canadian actor (especially the struggling days)
Love the way he talks about his wife
This better have an audio book version, because if so, I am totally buying it. I love the mans voice
Enjoyed hearing about his work with all sorts of actors, both world famous ones and those mostly only recognizable to Canadians
Got a kick out of the chapters on the hikes with Marlon Brando
The grief and stories about his wife are touching and beautiful

The Not So Good Stuff

It is a wee bit too slow paced
Would have liked way more photos
Won't lie it disturbed me that he gave up his children from his first marriage so easily. I have always thought of him as the very fatherly type. Still love ya though Gordon (and it was an honour meeting you last year and will always remember our little chat) was just a little shocked.

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"In those days people were not as open to friendships between men and women, but friendship was very important to me. And I was as good at chatting as I was at catting."

"Wait a minute, wait a minute," said Marlon with a disdainful squint. "You're going to Winnipeg? To do a twenty-year-old musical?"

"No," I said, "I'm going to Winnipeg to do a show for John Hirsch."

"Standing before a judge and agreeing not to see my children, so their mother could make a fresh start, was the lowest point of my immature young life. For the next two decades my children would see me only on television. Year later, thanks to their love and persistence, we would find each other again, and some thorny issues and unanswered questions would finally be resolved."

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

Perfect gift for a certain British Due South fan I love -- hmm guess what one of your gifts are going to be this year Angela
Fans of Pinsent will obviously enjoy -- maybe even better as an audio book (Must go look into if their is an audio version)
Also just a good read for fans of Canadian theatre, TV, movies -- yes American friends we do have an entertainment industry

4 Dewey's

I received this from Random House in exchange for an honest review ( )
  mountie9 | Nov 7, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 077107137X, Hardcover)

In this enchanting autobiography celebrated actor Gordon Pinsent revisits stellar highlights of his 60-year career and the high and low points along the way, including his work with fellow artists Judi Dench, Shirley Douglas, Olympia Dukakis, Norman Jewison, Christopher Plummer, Sarah Polley, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, and Julie Christie, among others. Throughout Pinsent offers his advice to young actors, writers, and directors on how to succeed in film and theatre. Engaging, entertaining, and light-hearted, Next is a must-read account of a fascinating life spent in show business.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:47 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible