The Lottery; The Haunting of Hill House; We…

The Lottery; The Haunting of Hill House; We have always lived in the…

by Shirley Jackson

Other authors: Joyce Carol Oates (Editor)

This jam-packed volume includes Jackson's short story collection, The Lottery, the aforementioned The Haunting of Hill House, We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and a set of other stories and sketches, some published during Jackson's lifetime and others published posthumously by her husband. Topping it all off is a chronology of Jackson's life and notes for all the collected works. I really really liked Jackson when I had previously read these two novels, I'm now a Jackson worshiper after reading her short stories. Jackson deals expertly and pointedly with issues of race, domesticity, gender, isolation, and depression. And no one does the creepiness of being an outsider in a small town or a rube in the big city quite like she does. So amazingly good.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2014/02/shirley-jackson-novels-and-stories.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Feb 26, 2014 |
#1 favorite ever, but this "review" is mainly a reminder that Brittany has my copy of this. ( )
  amwsmith | Apr 1, 2013 |
I enjoyed taking my time with this great collection of Shirley Jackson's works; after hearing a radio piece about Jackson and her stories last year I finally got the 2010 Library of America volume of her novels and short stories, edited by Joyce Carol Oates. I found myself not wanting to read these straight through, so I read just a few stories or a section of a novel each afternoon and night. Creepy, wonderful stuff.

I like how Jackson's able to weave folklore, nightmarish fantasies, reaction to racial and religious bigotry (as well as just anti-"outsider"-ism), and pure shock value into her writing: combining those with well-crafted plots, memorable characters, and flashes of dark humor now and then, you get a collection of truly disturbing but absolutely riveting tales.

The volume opens with Jackson's collection "The Lottery: or, the Adventures of James Harris." The title story is Jackson's best known, and it is just as shocking as advertised. Many others in the collection are also extremely powerful: "The Daemon Lover," "Charles," "Seven Types of Ambiguity," "Of Course" and "The Tooth" were probably the ones I liked best from the bunch (plus "The Lottery").

The LOA volume also includes two of Jackson's novels, The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I liked both in their own way, the former for its brilliantly-crafted sense of suspense and atmosphere, and the latter for its gothic horror and frightening twists and rambles.

But there's more. The volume is rounded out with some uncollected and unpublished stories. Of these, my favorites were "The Summer People," the incredibly funny "The Night We All Had Grippe," and "The Possibility of Evil" (which just be the one I enjoyed most of all: it's simply perfect). And then there's Jackson's "Biography of a Story," a fascinating and very amusing prepared talk she wrote about the publication and reception of "The Lottery."

If you haven't yet gotten to know Shirley Jackson's writings, and you enjoy a good creepy story, take the time and savor them. They're worth it. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Oct 18, 2012 |
This was my first experience with Shirley Jackson, aside from reading "The Lottery" many years ago (and not remembering it particularly favorably, I suppose I should say). Yet, I devoured this book, moving from one volume into the next, and was consistently fascinated with her graceful prose and the vast range of her subjects, characters, and themes. I'd strongly recommend this full volume to any fan of contemporary American fiction, but I've written brief reviews of each of the three separate volumes below for readers who might want to pick up one of the single works. I do want to say, first, though, that each of these works is incredibly different, and a reader who dislikes one may truly enjoy another. On a last note, the further a reader reaches into the collection order-wise, the darker the stories get in a slow evelation toward themes that verge on horror, or at least psychological suspense. The transition occurs towards the end of the collection, and plays as a nice lead-in towards Jackson's longer and darker work that follows.

The Lottery and Other Stories: Each off these is a solid and graceful story, full and worthwhile in its own right. I found the ones which were a bit longer to be more to my taste, probably because they allowed more time for character development, but I'd go back to reread any of them in the end. I even found somewhat that I'd grown into "The Lottery", though I probably still hold over some prejudices on that one from highschool. Regardless, the stories here are masterpieces of short fiction, and it's not a collection that becomes tiresome from an author repeating similar structures, themes or characters. I'd see readers of both Raymond Carver's and Eudora Welty's short fiction as enjoying Jackson's very much, though I'd level the charge of repetition against both those writers to some extent--not Jackson though. These stories are packed, unique, and quietly explosive in an oddly contemporary fashion.

The Haunting of Hill House: A fascinating and gothic psychological tour, worth reading for those who enjoy either horror, ghost stories, or psychological suspense. The work is masterful and terrifying, even for me, who knew exactly what to expect subject/action-wise. It's a mainstay in the haunted house genre of works, and you can see the conventions here. Still, the book is put together in a genius fashion, and I'm still not sure quite how it sucked me in so completely. Highly recommended, even if you think you know exactly what to expect.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle: this is the only volume in the collection that keeps the full book from being a five star rating for me, but it was still well worth the read, powerful and jarring in every respect. My only criticism is that this book alone seemed as if it ran a bit long, and small portions of the narrator's thoughts might have been left out without any real disadvantage to the work. I can stylistically and thematically see why Jackson felt the need for the slight repetition that occurs, but it didn't work for me as well as the stylistic moves she made in other writings. As with her other work though, this final piece in the collection is well worth the time, graceful, and incredibly jarring in a decidedly powerful and contemporary nature of revelation.

All three are highly recommended if you want a quietly jarring read. ( )
4 vote whitewavedarling | Aug 10, 2009 |

Shirley Jacksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oates, Joyce CarolEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A compilation of the three books and various short stories written by Shirley Jackson. Some of the short stories have, until now, never been published in book form, others had not been published at all until this anthology was compiled.

Contents:

The Lottery; or The Adventures of James Harris
An anthology of previously published short stories tied together by one character
The Intoxicated

The Beautiful Stranger
The Rock
The Honeymoon of Mrs. Smith

Biography of a Story - Essay

The four visitors at Hill House-- some there for knowledge, others for adventure-- are unaware that the old mansion will soon choose one of them to make its own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible