The Lottery; The Haunting of Hill House; We…

The Lottery; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the…

by Shirley Jackson

Other authors: Joyce Carol Oates (Editor)

Great selections of Jackson's stories! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Click the link to read the review for this book at my blog, Opinions of a Bookaholic! http://opinionsofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2014/01/shirly-jackson-novels-and-shor... ( )
  M_Sawtelle | Apr 6, 2016 |
The Haunting of Hill House
not sure about this one. wish i could give ½ stars on Goodreads because this one is a 2.5 star story for me.

there’s something about this story that’s compelling but, on the other hand, much of the dialogue is really bubble gummy and tritely saccharin. the reasons for these people being invited and actually coming to stay in an old house with a horrible reputation are trumped up at best and simply ridiculous at worst.

however, some of the scary bits are really frightening and well-written. the mystery and atmosphere Jackson creates for the Hill House throughout most of the story is very descriptive and engaging but i cannot help but feel that at least some of it was written almost as a comedy. just a little tongue-in-cheek.

the thing that surprised me a little was its resemblance to lots of elements and the basic trope of Stephen King’s The Shining. Jackson’s story was published in 1959 so it predates King’s story by 15 years or so. i wonder if it influenced/inspired him? i’ve only read about that one old creepy hotel giving him the Muse.

i’m not sure what else there is to say. this story was awful and yet appealing in equal measures for me. parts were scary (the pounding on the doors), others were comical (Mrs. Montegue), and some were truly well-written (Eleanor’s internal voiceover). i think it’s worth a read but i’m not sure i would classify this as a great ghost story even though it is often cited as one.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle
this isn’t scary so much as it is a creepy peek inside the mind of a disturbed individual.

i have to admit that even though i did not like the story i found it thought-provoking and profound in a couple of different ways. Jackson’s portrayal of a young woman named Mary Katherine or “Merricat” who seems to be very simple-minded but also very imaginative feels very realistic. to put an APA diagnostic spin on it, she’s supposed to be paranoid schizophrenic, similar to Norman Bates.

BEWARE: BEYOND THIS POINT, THERE MAY BE SPOILERS
constant references to arbitrary social boundaries and rigid rules that seem to keep Merricat feeling safe and in control -living on the moon, imagining people dead, not being able to even go in Uncle Julian’s room- and sideways hints about her being a witch -creating barriers to strangers entering the property by burying things and nailing books to trees, ritualized consumption and secreting of daily “power words,” her constant companion being Jonas the cat- all eerily depict the mind of an innocent murderess.

the really brilliant turn in this story comes from another kind of “insanity” described by Jackson: that of social stigma, ostracization, and mob psychosis. the house catches on fire and the village fire fighters arrive to put out the fire but then proceed to wreck the house while chanting what i imagined to be childlike sing-songy refrains about the murders that caused Merricat’s family to become pariahs. very chilling and maybe even more disturbing than Merricat’s behavior.

the ending left me cold and wanting something more but maybe that’s the way Jackson wanted it
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
This jam-packed volume includes Jackson's short story collection, The Lottery, the aforementioned The Haunting of Hill House, We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and a set of other stories and sketches, some published during Jackson's lifetime and others published posthumously by her husband. Topping it all off is a chronology of Jackson's life and notes for all the collected works. I really really liked Jackson when I had previously read these two novels, I'm now a Jackson worshiper after reading her short stories. Jackson deals expertly and pointedly with issues of race, domesticity, gender, isolation, and depression. And no one does the creepiness of being an outsider in a small town or a rube in the big city quite like she does. So amazingly good.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2014/02/shirley-jackson-novels-and-stories.html ] ( )
1 vote kristykay22 | Feb 26, 2014 |
#1 favorite ever, but this "review" is mainly a reminder that Brittany has my copy of this. ( )
  amwsmith | Apr 1, 2013 |

Shirley Jacksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oates, Joyce CarolEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A compilation of the three books and various short stories written by Shirley Jackson. Some of the short stories have, until now, never been published in book form, others had not been published at all until this anthology was compiled.

Contents:

The Lottery; or The Adventures of James Harris
An anthology of previously published short stories tied together by one character
The Intoxicated

The Beautiful Stranger
The Rock
The Honeymoon of Mrs. Smith

Biography of a Story - Essay

The four visitors at Hill House-- some there for knowledge, others for adventure-- are unaware that the old mansion will soon choose one of them to make its own.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,181,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible