The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell

The Water's Lovely (2006)

by Ruth Rendell

English (31)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (33)
Not among my favorite Rendell mysteries, but I did find the relationship between the various female characters very interesting. ( )
  Jcambridge | Dec 21, 2016 |
Compulsively readable "psychological suspense." I might even call it "quiet horror." Excellently written, with an entertaining cast of characters who range from the disturbingly quiet to the obsessively neurotic, "unrepressed criminal," and just plain crazy.

My first experience with this writer, and I'm not sure whether to recommend her or not. I found the novel enthralling, and missed reading it when it was over. Yet Rendell's vision is so dark, her world so sad, I don't think I'll plan on re-entering that world any time soon. ( )
  JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
Ruth Rendell is a fabulous author who writes wonderfully believable characters. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
An okay book, although I didn't like it very much. The story to me had not much of s beginning or an ending. It started somewhere and stopped at another point again.
What also contributed to the dislike, is the many complicated relationships described, something I didn't expect in a thriller.
And last but not least: the Dutch title seems to have no connection to the story at all. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jan 2, 2015 |
I thought this was going to be boring at first, it's set fairly recently but the writing doesn't lend to that. So many twists and turns, macabre humor and tone, I thought it was wonderful and not one of those predictable "happily ever after" books. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Weeks went by when Ismay never thought of it at all.

When Ismay and Heather's stepfather was discovered dead in the bathtub nine years ago, the police concluded the drowning was an accident. But Ismay has always silently suspected that Heather might have had something to do with it. Now they're older and their lives seem to be moving happily forward. But when Heather becomes seriously involved with a man for the first time, Ismay's long-repressed memories can no longer be ignored. With painful inevitability, Ismay learns that she may not able to keep the dark truth hidden forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

A decade after the killing of her stepfather, Ismay is still haunted by nightmares of his murder and of seeing his naked body floating in the bathtub and her sister, Heather, standing over him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,848,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible