The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell

The Water's Lovely (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Ruth Rendell

Member:DeltaQueen50
Title:The Water's Lovely
Authors:Ruth Rendell
Info:Crown Publishers, Inc (2006), Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:British Crime Fiction, TIOLI #2: Author's Name or Title contains the word

The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell (2006)

English (27)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
I thought this was going to be boring at first, it's set fairly recently but the writing doesn't lend to that. So many twists and turns, macabre humor and tone, I thought it was wonderful and not one of those predictable "happily ever after" books. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Ismay has always thought that her sister Heather was responsible for the drowning death of their step-father. Now that Heather is likely to be married, Ismay struggles with whether or not she should reveal her suspicions. This novel is more of a psychological thriller than a mystery like the author's Inspector Wexford series. This got off to a very slow start, but once it got going it picked up. Unfortunately, the ending was disappointing for me. If I read more Rendell novels, I think I'll stick to her Wexford series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 3, 2013 |
I have a long history with Ruth Rendell and she has the ability to either astonish and delight me, or frustrate and disappoint me. In The Water’s Lovely, she manages to do all four. No one is better at building a story, layer by layer than Ruth Rendell, and here she takes a group of people, some virtual strangers to each other, and weaves her magic, blending each character with one another, slowly exposing secrets, and eventually allowing the truth to emerge. You feel the tension mounting but are never sure if a murder has happened, if another one it going to happen, or even who will be the victim and who the killer.

I don’t want to discuss the plot in any way as I wouldn’t want to spoil it for a future readers, but be assured that Ruth Rendell is a master at the craft of psychological mysteries. The pacing is excellent as she brings the story to a slow boil, and her characterizations are spot on. Unfortunately, there were couple of flies in the ointment for me, firstly so much of the story revolved on people not talking to one another which would have been believable with some of these very private people, but using the same plot device with all her characters made me feel as if the author was being a little lazy. Secondly, I really hated the ending and felt she cheated the reader out of seeing certain characters get their just rewards.

So for me, a very good read and one that held my attention but even as I was willing to forgive her the repeated plot device, the ending just didn’t satisfy me. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Dec 4, 2012 |
Nine years ago Ismay Sealand and her mother came back from a shopping trip to find her stepfather drowned in his bath. Ismay and Beatrix provide a false alibi for Ismay's sister, Heather, who they think murdered her stepfather (who else could it have been?). Now Heather has a boyfriend she wants to marry. Should Ismay tell him?

A claustrophobic, suspenseful, unputdownable thriller with a rather disappointing ending. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 15, 2011 |
Rendel's books are enjoyable because they flow exceptionally well, have deeply developed characters, aren't formulaic, and are very compelling and readable. This one is no exception. ( )
  Bookish59 | Feb 21, 2011 |
Weeks went by when Ismay never thought of it at all.

When Ismay and Heather's stepfather was discovered dead in the bathtub nine years ago, the police concluded the drowning was an accident. But Ismay has always silently suspected that Heather might have had something to do with it. Now they're older and their lives seem to be moving happily forward. But when Heather becomes seriously involved with a man for the first time, Ismay's long-repressed memories can no longer be ignored. With painful inevitability, Ismay learns that she may not able to keep the dark truth hidden forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:25 -0400)

A decade after the killing of her stepfather, Ismay is still haunted by nightmares of his murder and of seeing his naked body floating in the bathtub and her sister, Heather, standing over him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible