Losing It by Cora Carmack

Info:William Morrow & Co (2013), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:new adult, 2012

Losing It by Cora Carmack

It was, obviously, a quick read. I enjoyed it, but it won't stick with me. It was sweet and fluffy, but not much more. I enjoyed it enough to check out the sequels and other books by this author, but it wasn't anything substantial. I wasn't laughing out loud or swooning over main characters. It was nice, so can't really complain about that. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
2.8 The story of a college student, virginal and completely self absorbed, filled with personal doubts, just isn't for me. It started out really cheesy just above high school drama, blech. I was ready to drop the book till a friend encouraged me to continue. Oh, very well, I finished. It did develop a more mature and fun story but it's still not something I enjoyed getting my reading feelings involved in. No more NA for me if I can avoid it ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Losing It
By: Cora Carmack
Published: HarperCollins Publishers
Released: 26 February 2013
Reviewed: KJ
The Word: down to earth romantic comedy with red-faced cringe-worthy embarrassing moments leaving you wondering how you went so long without reading this baby.

I don’t think words can ever express how much I love this book. I stumbled upon Cora’s work after recommendations from my favourite YA book reviewer. This was before Cora had signed on to a big and fancy publisher – I read the book in its perfectly raw self-published form and was hooked from the first page.

Bliss Edwards, bubbly outgoing theatre major is in her last year of college and has a secret – she is a virgin. After admitting it to her best friend Kelsey (you can read Kelsley’s story in book 3) the two decide to go out clubbing and pick a man for Bliss to lose her virginity to. After a rather unsuccessful start to their evening Bliss stumbles upon Garrick – an incredibly attractive Englishman reading Shakespeare (yes you read that right ladies, Shakespeare …… sigh) at a bar. One thing after another and Bliss and Garrick end up at her place and then…. cue hilariously embarrassing scenario involving cats!! Seriously the first time I read this I had to stop and take a moment, I had turned bright red with embarrassment. Even now when I read the book I feel like I should read peering through my fingers as if that will save me and Bliss from the hilarious cringe-worthy moment.

Bliss figures that she will never have to see the handsomely sexy Garrett again only to uncover that he is her new College Professor – seriously you can’t make this stuff up people! As you can imagine the two play a game of cat and mouse trying to deny their feeling for each other with a few road bumps… ahem gorgeous Cade… who get in the way.

The book is full of hilariously embarrassing moments that make Bliss a down to earth very loveable character. She has a strong friend base while she navigates the stress and uncertainty of her final year of college, trying to uncover what she wants to do in the future and her true romantic feelings.

Garrick is the stuff of dreams – I swear every time he said ‘love’ I melted into a puddle on the floor. He is smart, well-educated, and a little possessive at times, but grounds Bliss really well. He speaks his mind and puts Bliss off kilter by being so forward and honest with his intentions.

This is a really nice read, the kind that sunshine and bubbles are made from – you feel, happy and excited from being a part of Bliss and Garrick’s story. All those that love a good romance you can’t go past this book! ( )
  birdslovewords | Jul 19, 2015 |
Losing It

The Characters

I love Bliss Edwards. She is so much like me, despite our ten year age difference.

Garrick Taylor is a wonderful, loveable guy.

Beyond Bliss and Garrick we have a large cast of characters and she did a great job of not overwhelming the reader with them.

The Story

A very sweet and entertaining story. I like Ms Carmack’s style. It’s humorous, which I love. The characters are so enjoyable and I really felt a connection with them.

The Random Thoughts

The only thing I didn’t care for it is the narrator. Not that she didn’t do an excellent job bringing the characters to life but her voice was a bit “young” for the character. Bliss sounded like a 16 year old ready to get her license not a twenty two year old living college life.

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Dec 15, 2014 |
After all the dark, angsty New Adult romances I've read in the last year or so, I needed a break. I needed something different, something new. And I found that in Losing It!

From the beginning, I was hooked. Cora Carmack has a wonderful writing voice, very easy to follow and get lost in, with just enough silly and funny things thrown in to make me smile.

I found the heroine, Bliss Edwards, to be cute. She doesn't always know how to act around guys, especially when she meets Garrick Taylor. She thinks he will be the perfect guy to take care of her pesky virginity issue. The fact that it didn't go smoothly, and she wasn't as ready as she thought, only made me like her even more.

And Garrick . . . really, what can I say? English accent? Check! Motorcycle? Check! Both drop-dead sexy and yet so very sweet? CHEEEEECK! I loved him, and I'd steal him from Bliss in a heartbeat, if I thought I had a chance! :D

I have to admit, when I originally heard about this book, back when it was released in 2013, I was a bit unsure if I would like it. He's her professor! But it's not exactly like it seems. First of all, the night they originally meet in the bar, she has no clue he's going to be one of her professors for the upcoming semester, and he doesn't realize she's a senior in college. He's also not that much older than her; I don't believe an exact age is ever said, but he can't be more than maybe 25-29 to her 22. And of course they try to stay away from each other once they find out; they know that being together would be wrong, that it could easily backfire and leave them both in trouble and him without a job. But they work it out, slowly, over the course of the book, and they don't get together (in bed) until right before her graduation, and they hold off on officially become a couple until after the term is over.

There were many scenes that I loved in this book, for various reasons. The chemistry between Bliss and Garrick was terrific, and that's putting it mildly. The interactions with her fellow drama friends were great, and I liked getting to know some of them, they seem like a fun crowd. And the ending was so just so sweet! * sigh * I don't want to ruin anything, so I won't spill any more details than that!

I do wish Garrick's POV could have shown up in the book during more than just the epilogue, but really, I don't think it was necessary, as Carmack did a wonderful job telling the story through Bliss.

Losing It was the perfect combination of sweet, charming, and funny, not to mention sexy enough to bring a flush or two to my face. What can I say? I loved this book, and I am glad that I decided to give this new author a chance. I have books 2 and 3 already sitting on my NOOK, and right now I'm trying to control myself, otherwise I'd have both read within the next week! If you are looking for something different in the New Adult genre, like I was, be sure to pick up this series; you will not be disappointed!

4 ½ STARS!

~ * ~ * ~

For other reviews, including favorite book quotes, please visit my blog, TBQ's Book Palace

I purchased this book and decided to share my honest opinion.

TheBookQueen ( )
  The_Book_Queen | Feb 2, 2014 |

Bliss Edwards decides she needs to lose her virginity before she graduates from college, but she is unable to go through with a one-night stand and soon learns that the man she left naked in her bed is her new theater professor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,859,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible