Losing It by Cora Carmack

Info:William Morrow & Co (2013), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:new adult, 2012

Losing It by Cora Carmack

New adult contemporary romance in which Bliss, a college senior, gets roped into a night out at a bar by her best friend in an attempt to wrangle Bliss a one night stand during which she can lose her virginity. At the bar, Bliss meets Garrick, who she has an immediate connection with, leaves with him, but finds that while she wants to have sex with him, she doesn't want to have sex yet. She runs out on him, embarrassed but sure she'll never see him again. The next day it turns outs Garrick is a last-minute semester-long substitute for one of her professors. And then things ensue. Entertaining with fun characters. Reminded me in tone a bit of a really nice romantic comedy. While Bliss has a nice revelation about sex and what it means for her, I would have liked a little more interrogation of why/if virginity matters and what that word even means. (Without going into graphic and spoilery detail, there was one moment in particular in the beginning that really made me say, "Ein Minuten bitte, she's going to do X with a dude but still consider herself a virgin, full stop, with no further consideration of the concept and/or why it matters to her?") Recommended for a fun read if you like this kind of thing. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jul 18, 2016 |
This was a quick, cute read but I must admit I was expecting a bit more from it. Maybe because I had to wait 4 months before this book was available for Kindle in the UK and by the time I got to read it my expectations were a bit too high.
I didn't connect with the characters as much as I would have liked and although they had some nice, cute moments the chemistry didn't feel right somehow and the story was a bit flat at times. That being said I still enjoyed this book and will read Cade's story when it comes out. ( )
  crisana | Jun 2, 2016 |
It was, obviously, a quick read. I enjoyed it, but it won't stick with me. It was sweet and fluffy, but not much more. I enjoyed it enough to check out the sequels and other books by this author, but it wasn't anything substantial. I wasn't laughing out loud or swooning over main characters. It was nice, so can't really complain about that. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
2.8 The story of a college student, virginal and completely self absorbed, filled with personal doubts, just isn't for me. It started out really cheesy just above high school drama, blech. I was ready to drop the book till a friend encouraged me to continue. Oh, very well, I finished. It did develop a more mature and fun story but it's still not something I enjoyed getting my reading feelings involved in. No more NA for me if I can avoid it ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Losing It
By: Cora Carmack
Published: HarperCollins Publishers
Released: 26 February 2013
Reviewed: KJ
The Word: down to earth romantic comedy with red-faced cringe-worthy embarrassing moments leaving you wondering how you went so long without reading this baby.

I don’t think words can ever express how much I love this book. I stumbled upon Cora’s work after recommendations from my favourite YA book reviewer. This was before Cora had signed on to a big and fancy publisher – I read the book in its perfectly raw self-published form and was hooked from the first page.

Bliss Edwards, bubbly outgoing theatre major is in her last year of college and has a secret – she is a virgin. After admitting it to her best friend Kelsey (you can read Kelsley’s story in book 3) the two decide to go out clubbing and pick a man for Bliss to lose her virginity to. After a rather unsuccessful start to their evening Bliss stumbles upon Garrick – an incredibly attractive Englishman reading Shakespeare (yes you read that right ladies, Shakespeare …… sigh) at a bar. One thing after another and Bliss and Garrick end up at her place and then…. cue hilariously embarrassing scenario involving cats!! Seriously the first time I read this I had to stop and take a moment, I had turned bright red with embarrassment. Even now when I read the book I feel like I should read peering through my fingers as if that will save me and Bliss from the hilarious cringe-worthy moment.

Bliss figures that she will never have to see the handsomely sexy Garrett again only to uncover that he is her new College Professor – seriously you can’t make this stuff up people! As you can imagine the two play a game of cat and mouse trying to deny their feeling for each other with a few road bumps… ahem gorgeous Cade… who get in the way.

The book is full of hilariously embarrassing moments that make Bliss a down to earth very loveable character. She has a strong friend base while she navigates the stress and uncertainty of her final year of college, trying to uncover what she wants to do in the future and her true romantic feelings.

Garrick is the stuff of dreams – I swear every time he said ‘love’ I melted into a puddle on the floor. He is smart, well-educated, and a little possessive at times, but grounds Bliss really well. He speaks his mind and puts Bliss off kilter by being so forward and honest with his intentions.

This is a really nice read, the kind that sunshine and bubbles are made from – you feel, happy and excited from being a part of Bliss and Garrick’s story. All those that love a good romance you can’t go past this book! ( )
  birdslovewords | Jul 19, 2015 |

Bliss Edwards decides she needs to lose her virginity before she graduates from college, but she is unable to go through with a one-night stand and soon learns that the man she left naked in her bed is her new theater professor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible