Losing It by Cora Carmack

Tags:new adult, 2012

Losing It by Cora Carmack

Losing It

The Characters

I love Bliss Edwards. She is so much like me, despite our ten year age difference.

Garrick Taylor is a wonderful, loveable guy.

Beyond Bliss and Garrick we have a large cast of characters and she did a great job of not overwhelming the reader with them.

The Story

A very sweet and entertaining story. I like Ms Carmack’s style. It’s humorous, which I love. The characters are so enjoyable and I really felt a connection with them.

The Random Thoughts

The only thing I didn’t care for it is the narrator. Not that she didn’t do an excellent job bringing the characters to life but her voice was a bit “young” for the character. Bliss sounded like a 16 year old ready to get her license not a twenty two year old living college life.

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Dec 15, 2014 |
After all the dark, angsty New Adult romances I've read in the last year or so, I needed a break. I needed something different, something new. And I found that in Losing It!

From the beginning, I was hooked. Cora Carmack has a wonderful writing voice, very easy to follow and get lost in, with just enough silly and funny things thrown in to make me smile.

I found the heroine, Bliss Edwards, to be cute. She doesn't always know how to act around guys, especially when she meets Garrick Taylor. She thinks he will be the perfect guy to take care of her pesky virginity issue. The fact that it didn't go smoothly, and she wasn't as ready as she thought, only made me like her even more.

And Garrick . . . really, what can I say? English accent? Check! Motorcycle? Check! Both drop-dead sexy and yet so very sweet? CHEEEEECK! I loved him, and I'd steal him from Bliss in a heartbeat, if I thought I had a chance! :D

I have to admit, when I originally heard about this book, back when it was released in 2013, I was a bit unsure if I would like it. He's her professor! But it's not exactly like it seems. First of all, the night they originally meet in the bar, she has no clue he's going to be one of her professors for the upcoming semester, and he doesn't realize she's a senior in college. He's also not that much older than her; I don't believe an exact age is ever said, but he can't be more than maybe 25-29 to her 22. And of course they try to stay away from each other once they find out; they know that being together would be wrong, that it could easily backfire and leave them both in trouble and him without a job. But they work it out, slowly, over the course of the book, and they don't get together (in bed) until right before her graduation, and they hold off on officially become a couple until after the term is over.

There were many scenes that I loved in this book, for various reasons. The chemistry between Bliss and Garrick was terrific, and that's putting it mildly. The interactions with her fellow drama friends were great, and I liked getting to know some of them, they seem like a fun crowd. And the ending was so just so sweet! * sigh * I don't want to ruin anything, so I won't spill any more details than that!

I do wish Garrick's POV could have shown up in the book during more than just the epilogue, but really, I don't think it was necessary, as Carmack did a wonderful job telling the story through Bliss.

Losing It was the perfect combination of sweet, charming, and funny, not to mention sexy enough to bring a flush or two to my face. What can I say? I loved this book, and I am glad that I decided to give this new author a chance. I have books 2 and 3 already sitting on my NOOK, and right now I'm trying to control myself, otherwise I'd have both read within the next week! If you are looking for something different in the New Adult genre, like I was, be sure to pick up this series; you will not be disappointed!

4 ½ STARS!

~ * ~ * ~

For other reviews, including favorite book quotes, please visit my blog, TBQ's Book Palace

I purchased this book and decided to share my honest opinion.

TheBookQueen ( )
  The_Book_Queen | Feb 2, 2014 |
Determined to hurdle herself over the virginity milestone, Bliss along with her carefree friend who is no stranger to one night stands, dress up in revealing clothes and go out clubbing in search of the guy who will finally free Bliss of her so called tragedy.

Sounds like a great plan (not) but fate proves that Bliss can't get into it, her brain wont turn off the pros and cons of taking such a huge step and shes uncomfortable in the bar and in the clothes. Eager to get it over with but scared and annoyed all the same shes ready to give up and go home, that is until she meets Garrick, a British heartthrob sitting alone in the bar reading Shakespeare. Could a guy really be reading in a bar and is that really a sexy accent to boot? Bliss is dumbfounded and mesmerized by his eyes and his voice, she cant believe her luck and it doesn't take long for her misconceptions to get thrown out the window as the two move faster than the speed of light into a sexual encounter. Its sparks and instant chemistry, something she's never felt before, and so Bliss takes him home, but terrified of the process (hmmm, bringing home a guy you've known for 10 minutes might be hard to get naked with when your insecure about sex in the first place) and the fear of facing rejection leads to a disastrous but hysterical end to the night. Humiliated is putting it lightly, but mortification describes the next morning when she walks into her theater class and sees the new teacher, you guessed it...........the naked dude who was in her bed, none other than that sexy British guy Garrick!

Talk about awkward! At first due to the circumstances, Bliss and Garrick try and avoid each other but finally confront the situation and attempt to keep things as a teacher/student relationship. However undeniable chemistry, unfinished business and the fact that they live in same building gives them constant opportunities to run in the same circles. Both of our characters are falling in love and Garrick is finding it harder and harder to resist the beautiful girl that taunts his dreams. Seeing her out and thinking of her with another guy drives him crazy and knowing he cant do anything about it makes it worse, because if he pursues something more it could possibly bring consequences, like rumors and even job loss. But painful days of not being together and a spark that wont fade bring them closer to making that choice that could undo them.

For me virginity and sexual relationships are anything but pesky issues or what do people like to say..."just a right of passage"....I think sex is something to be valued and a very important choice, one that many young adults make with no common sense, for the couple in this story the age made a huge difference and even with its sexy appeal, I liked how Carmack made the issue important to her main character and really did make her choice of taking that step meaningful. Instead of a sleazy and forgotten one night stand, there was true romance built upon. For that aspect Losing It was easy to like in terms of readability. What keeps me from a higher star though, is how similar I found it to Slammed by Colleen Hoover....( the tragic sweet romance of Will and Layken, only this would be the R rated version and we just trade poetry for theater)....and being that Slammed is one of my favorite books from 2012, it was hard not to compare the two. I was constantly sizing up Garrick to Will, who were pretty much the same character only Will would come out as the more gentlemanly persona and not the guy who tried to bag the chick on the first night......I was also comparing the overall progression of the couples relationship which had a lot of the same central issues that at times seemed so similar I was scratching my head a bit.

Of course there were differences and I was able to see them in the development of Bliss and her dynamic of friends, the independent living and college aspect surrounding her and not to mention the whole virginity thing. I saw in this story a beautiful potential for a long lasting relationship and while I had some issues with the "dramatic plot fillers" and predictability to the tee, overall I really enjoyed the writing style and felt like dancing Bliss style when I read the end. ( )
  Tinasbookreviews | Oct 16, 2013 |
To read my review of the book, go here, to my blog. ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
This story was right up my street. It had everything I look for in a book; humour, sexiness and a good plotline. So in my opinion Cora Carmack is a genius!

If you ask me, Garrick quite possibly pulled every single female reader within those first two chapters. Girls, he’s hot! In fact, Garrick seems pretty fecking perfect and I have to say I’m slightly jealous of Bliss. The rest of the characters are a fun bunch and when they do the whole getting drunk thing together I was laughing.

If you’re looking for a fun, sexy read then I recommend this book. It’s amazing!
  lcrabtree | Jul 17, 2013 |

Bliss Edwards decides she needs to lose her virginity before she graduates from college, but she is unable to go through with a one-night stand and soon learns that the man she left naked in her bed is her new theater professor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible