The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave (2013)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (1)

English (237)  French (1)  German (1)  All (239)
One of the few YA novels I've read this year that I really enjoyed. I'm not the biggest fan of multiple point of view narratives because I am a character driven reader and when I'm attached to a character I prefer their view point or a third-person view point over multiple point of view narratives.

However, I think this works well in The Fifth Wave because it created suspense and supicion by kept the plot moving and interesting. I love how the author was able to build the plot to a crescendo without compromising the character development. Kudos for that because my biggest gripe with YA is the lack of characater developement and predictability of the plot.

I can't wait for the next book in the series and I hope it is equally as thrilling as the first and hopefully it doesn't fall prey to the YA sequels mishaps. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
I feel like I've DNF'ed a lot of books lately, so I really wanted to finish this one. I couldn't do it though. The storyline is too long and drawn-out so that it feels like you're reading in circles. The characters are one-dimensional and unlikeable. (Yeah I understand you're in an alien invasion, but why does everyone have to be jerks about EVERYTHING?) Really, they're just downright annoying.
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
Really great book! The idea of this book has so much potential and I couldn't put it down, so addictive! In some areas it was a little slow, however I felt like when the action finally came it definitely made up for it. I feel like the characters could have been developed more and we could have seen more of their backgrounds to understand them better, because at some points in the book I struggled to follow which character I was reading from. Other than that I really enjoyed the book and I will definitely be carrying on with the trilogy to find out what happens.

4/5 Stars ( )
  SophieElaina | Mar 27, 2017 |
Decent enough youth dystopian novel, start of a series. While most dystopian fiction is fine with increased poverty, or an authoritarian government, Yancey offers up a future post-alien invasion in which 95%+ of humanity has been killed by a series of attacks (or "waves"), leaving our teenage heroes and very few others.

The story focuses on Cassie, a 16 year old girl trying to survive on her own after her parents are killed and 5 year old brother abducted. She is rescued by a mysterious 17 year old farm boy named Evan, who she suspects may be an alien. A secondary story line involves Cassie's high school crush Ben, who ends up in a military camp with Cassie's brother as both are being trained to hunt aliens... perhaps.

I liked the book fine- I'm an adult, so when I come across this kind of fiction I read the whole series if it's really compelling (Hunger Games, Harry Potter). This isn't good enough to continue- I'll have to survive without knowing how the aliens will be defeated in the end. ( )
  DanTarlin | Mar 9, 2017 |
Pretty good book overall
There were nasty grids parts that I hated
Guess I learned to deal with them ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didnʼt turn out very well for the Native Americans. —Stephen Hawking
For Sandy, whose dreams inspire and whose love endures
There will be no awakening.

"Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them"--

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,368,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible