The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave (2013)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (1)

English (235)  French (1)  All (236)
Really great book! The idea of this book has so much potential and I couldn't put it down, so addictive! In some areas it was a little slow, however I felt like when the action finally came it definitely made up for it. I feel like the characters could have been developed more and we could have seen more of their backgrounds to understand them better, because at some points in the book I struggled to follow which character I was reading from. Other than that I really enjoyed the book and I will definitely be carrying on with the trilogy to find out what happens.

4/5 Stars ( )
  SophieElaina | Mar 27, 2017 |
Decent enough youth dystopian novel, start of a series. While most dystopian fiction is fine with increased poverty, or an authoritarian government, Yancey offers up a future post-alien invasion in which 95%+ of humanity has been killed by a series of attacks (or "waves"), leaving our teenage heroes and very few others.

The story focuses on Cassie, a 16 year old girl trying to survive on her own after her parents are killed and 5 year old brother abducted. She is rescued by a mysterious 17 year old farm boy named Evan, who she suspects may be an alien. A secondary story line involves Cassie's high school crush Ben, who ends up in a military camp with Cassie's brother as both are being trained to hunt aliens... perhaps.

I liked the book fine- I'm an adult, so when I come across this kind of fiction I read the whole series if it's really compelling (Hunger Games, Harry Potter). This isn't good enough to continue- I'll have to survive without knowing how the aliens will be defeated in the end. ( )
  DanTarlin | Mar 9, 2017 |
Pretty good book overall
There were nasty grids parts that I hated
Guess I learned to deal with them ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
I saw this after watching the movie for a book challenge I'm working on - this particular category was "Watch a movie before reading the book", I'd recommend this for all those who love books and are disappointed with the movie versions.

The Fifth Wave is about aliens (the Others) who come to Earth and are doing what they can to exterminate humans but to do a little damage as possible to the Earth. The book is told in multiple points-of-view: Cassie, Ben, Ethan and Ringer. All are teenagers. Three are humans, one is not. Cassie has gone through the first 3 waves - Power Outages, Earthquake/Tsunamis, and Pestilence and has survived. She's lost a little bit of herself but survives. Ben loses everything, including his health. Ethan loses his family and a little more. We don't know a lot about Ringer - we actually don't hear her voice until the very end of the book. These individuals all blend and connect to tell us not just their stories but the story of man's will to survive.

There were a few things I had some issues with. The big one is what the Others really are. I'm not sure I buy the explanation given. I'm also a little disbelieving about all the knowledge that the teens seem to have in so short a time. Granted there are extenuating circumstances but still. Overall though this was a well-paced story that will connect with readers who want a bit of a different alien invasion story. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I read this book a couple months back and I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of suspense and unexpected turns. Also the main character was tough and resourceful which made her interesting. Since both the plot and individual characters were interesting it ended up making this a fun read as I was invested in the characters and what was going to happen next. I would recommend this to young adult fans and anyone who enjoys Science Fiction novels. ( )
  RickyHaas | Feb 27, 2017 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didnʼt turn out very well for the Native Americans. —Stephen Hawking
For Sandy, whose dreams inspire and whose love endures
There will be no awakening.

"Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them"--

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,271,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible