The Christmas Star by Ace Collins

The Christmas Star (edition 2012)

by Ace Collins

1911537,190 (4.07)None
Member:alekee
Title:The Christmas Star
Authors:Ace Collins
Info:Abingdon Press (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

The Christmas Star by Ace Collins

I received a surprise review copy of this last year but it was too late to read it for Christmas. It's not exactly my type of book, but it did have elements I like and I do like Christian fiction when it's good so I put it aside to try for this Christmas. I didn't really expect much as I've never heard of the author before and the publisher's blurb did sound a bit sappy, but the historical era, and the coming of age story did intrigue. I was very pleased to find myself quickly several chapters into the book before I even took a breather. The writing is very good. The book is decidedly Christian but not preachy or tiresomely evangelical (I'm Catholic). I found the story realistic as a 16 year-old boy tries to deal with the death of his Marine father during the war. He heads down the wrong road and the story became darker than I'd expected it to, which is a good thing in my books. My only problem is the book had been entirely believable and should have ended without the last three pages, these final pages bring about a happy, sweet, sugar-coated ending that is not believable and in my opinion undoes all the purpose for the growing and lessons learned by the main character throughout the book. Otherwise a good Christmas read and I'm going to save it in my box of Christmas books to share with guests on future Christmases. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 27, 2013 |
Title: The Christmas Star
Author: Ace Collins
Pages: 224
Year: 2012
Publisher: Abingdon
Do you like to give or to receive presents? Or do you like to both give and receive? Books are like presents as they are given by the author, and the audience receives the joy of what is in between the covers. So too the author receives as readers share their books with others, and the story inside just keeps on giving as it goes on to the next person.
Ace Collins is a very gifted writer who crafts tales that entertain, encourage and enrapture the heart of those who make time to enjoy reading them. We are very blessed when we remember those who have gone before us to lay down their lives for freedom, not just physical freedom, but spiritual freedom as well. In these pages, we are told of a father who goes overseas to serve during World War II, promising he will come home. On night the military shows up with a telegram, and then later the family is presented the Congressional Medal of Honor. Jimmy is struggling still with losing his father a couple of years after his father left home. Nothing about Christmas brings him hope anymore.
A few men and another school chum of Jimmy’s come together to make plans that would change all their futures for the better. However, what else transpires through the next couple of days begins to challenge Jimmy and bring him to a fork in the road of his life where he must choose a path.
With all that is happening in the world today, it would be easy to lose hope and focus in the Lord. While this is a fictional piece of work, what is inside will encourage and remind you of the hope that never wavers if it is based on the Lord. I fell in love with the novel the minute I started reading, and enthusiasm grew with each additional twist and turn of the plot.
Don’t miss the opportunity to read and share the book with others this holiday season!
My rating is 5+stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Dec 3, 2013 |
ISBN: 9781426714689
Calvin is the bus driver and likes to share things he makes with others who are less fortunate.
Jimmy Reed hates the holidays and is now hanging out with boys that get in trouble with the law. He's mad because his father died in the war and the family has a star they put on the Christmas tree. They never have money or things and life is such a struggle.
He goes with Calvin to many places to deliver things he's made over the year and he explains how he feels so rich in life although he has nothing of substance in his home. He recites many passages of scripture in hopes Jimmy will catch on so he will lead a worthwhile life.
His mother works at the local store and this holiday with the troops home the shelves have sold out of most everything. She works many hours and hopes to share memories with Jimmy this year to make him happy.
The Medal of Honor is the star they hang on the tree every year but Jimmy hasn't even gone to get a tree from the woods.
This year Calvin created candleholders with a star and the word HOPE on them.
Loved hearing the true meaning and story about mistletoe.
Now that Johnny got in trouble Jimmy felt that the robbery of the store wouldn't take place so he was off the hook... he thought...
A mystery of counterfeit money comes to town that the sheriff is brought up to speed on.
At the church service Jimmy met a man that knew his father, and he's got a surprise for him. They all go to Audrey's house for a meal and he tells them all about it.
The men who were going to break into the store have started to reconsider.
Mystery of the letter was very imaginative and cool to watch them solve it all. ( )
  jbarr5 | Mar 10, 2013 |
The Christmas Star is the first book I have read by Ace Collins and it won't be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and gave it the 5 stars it deserves.

There is a huge message of love, forgiveness, faith and hope in this wonderful story. Jimmy Reed learns about all of them. He learns that no matter how angry he is, how bleak the circumstances are and how hopeless things appear they don't have to stay that way.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. I promise you will not be disappointed. I just finished this book and I am feeling good! Thank you Ace Collins! ( )
  passionforbooks | Dec 31, 2012 |
Jimmy Reed is angry, his father, during the war died while earning the Congressional Medal of Honor, and now his mother wants to remind him by hanging the medal on the tree as the star.

But Jimmy is in a rebellious stange that is getting him into a bunch of trouble - trouble that residents in town see as tarnishing his father's memory.

As Jimmy learns more and more about his father, he realizes that he needs to make changes and take responsibility for his actions.

This book has fell good mood to it - just right for the holidays. ( )
  cyderry | Dec 29, 2012 |
To the community that is Ouachita!

After his father was killed in World War II, Robert and his mother hang his father's Medal of Honor on their Christmas tree, as a letter from his father helps Robert cope with his loss and an unexpected turn of events changes his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible