The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller by Ethan…

The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller (edition 2012)

by Ethan Cross

Member:celticlady53
Title:The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller
Authors:Ethan Cross
Info:Story Plant, The (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller by Ethan Cross

From my blog

Ethan Cross has made a name in the crime genre, I think he will be known as the likes, Thomas Harris and Jeffrey Deaver. He knows how to write an edge of your seat thriller. This series will get your heart pumping with exciting rage.

I really enjoyed the debut The Shepherd and novella The Cage. This also lived up to expectations. I was wow'd in December and kind of wished I had just read this right away.

Marcus is the main character, an unorthodox detective that has a mysterious connection to Ackerman, the serial killer from Shepherd. I enjoyed how this tension was used in the book and when Ethan Cross reveal's it towards the end they slam you with another, enough to keep you excited for the next. I am sure there will be another..........

There was lots going on in this installment, action packed thrills, mystery and suspense. A new serial killer on the loose with a connection to a cult, where the leader was known as The Prophet. Marcus was running against the clock to save many but had the continuous distraction of Ackerman calling him, trying to manipulate the investigation and continue his torture games.

Ackerman is the craziest, cruelest killer I have ever read about so to mix it up with sadistic cult killers also, terrorizing to say the least.

If you want a taste to see if you will enjoy it, go for The Cage, the thriller novella, a perfect taste of madness.

I highly recommend this series. ( )
  marcejewels | May 5, 2013 |
Secret Agent Marcus Williams is on the hunt for the Anarchist, a serial killer who is ritualistically torturing and killing women. He is also dealing with unwanted aid from Francis Ackerman, possibly the most prolific serial killer ever who, for some reason, has decided that he and Marcus have a relationship of some sort.

The Prophet is disturbing in parts, gruesome and gory but oh, what a thrill ride! It not only takes the reader on a twisting path to find not one killer but perhaps many but it also takes through the even more twisting path inside the heads of these killers.

The Prophet is the second in a series but it can be read as a standalone and it is one high octane thriller. Once started it is almost impossible to put down and is guaranteed to keep you up late at night needing to know how it all turns out. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Dec 27, 2012 |
The Prophet is definitely one of those books that will grip you from the very beginning. Two serial killers and their leader, The Prophet are some very sick and twisted individuals. One of the killers The Anarchist, has been under the thumb of the man called the Prophet since he was small and living on a commune with his mother. He is a seemingly normal family man with a dark side. Francis Ackerman, the other serial killer featured in the story is a thorn in the side of Special Agent Marcus Williams, an agent working for a special agency developed by the Department of Justice, kind of a rogue agency if you will, so much so that Marcus is haunted by his own dark side. Marcus works with other law agents to apprehend these killers. The story is written in such a way that you do not want to put it down..I was scared, thrilled and appalled as I read this book. This is definitely a character driven story told with brutal honesty and very human emotions. Can Marcus get his man?? Will he be able to get past his own past?? You have to read the book to find out...this is the second book in the Shepard series but is also a stand alone book..A book that will keep you up at night, then have you getting up to check the windows and doors...I highly recommend it.
I received the ebook for review and was not monetarily compensated for my review. ( )
  celticlady53 | Dec 9, 2012 |
Special Agent Marcus Williams must find the Anarchist, a killer who drugs his victims before burning them alive. But what Williams does not know is that the Anarchist takes his orders from the Prophet, and he has one more final plan.

This is a spellbinding crime thriller with a well-written plot. The many twists and turns will keep even the most seasoned reader guessing. Note: this is the third in the Shepherd series. It will make more sense to the reader if you read the series in order. However, I found that the novel worked well as a stand-alone.

5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Partners in Crime Virtual Book Tours program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Tammy.Ford.Cuevas | Nov 24, 2012 |
Two serial killers: Frances Ackerman and The Anarchist ... The Prophet who mentors and pulls the Anarchist's strings ... and three agents from the Shepherd Group who hunt down serial killers ...

The Prophet is a riveting crime suspense thriller that is so chilling, it makes the reader grip the arms of their chair, and raises the hair on the back of their neck with goose bumps of fear on their arms!

In the second book of The Shepherd series, author Ethan Cross once again raises the bar on chills and thrills with this gripping suspense thriller. Even though this is the second book in the series, it can be a stand alone read, as the author seamlessly brings the reader up-to-speed with the continuation of the storyline from The Shepherd. Told in the third person narrative, the author weaves a tale that immediately engages the reader in a captivating tale that is rich in detail and vivid descriptions, with its many twists and turns the reader is not left an option other than to keep turning the pages to find out what happens next. I am a diehard fan of crime and suspense thrillers, and I must admit that this story exceeded my expectations. The intensity of the storyline and the tension between the serial killers and the agents of the Shepherd Group kept me thoroughly riveted and so engrossed, I literally had to finish the story in one sitting.

With a large cast of characters who are realistic and complex people, the author does a phenomenal job of delving into their mind and providing the reader with serial killers who are seriously demented, and special agents who are determined to bring them to justice. The author transports the reader into this fast paced white-knuckle storyline with his creative interweaving of a psychological cat-n-mouse game between the characters that leaves the reader's heart palpating while holding their breath. It just doesn't get any better than this ... oh wait ... maybe it will in the next book in the series, since the author leaves the reader hanging with a cliffhanger of an ending!

The Prophet is one heck of an adrenaline rush of a crime story that is a must read for the true diehard suspense thriller junkie!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Partners In Crime Virtual Book Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-prophet-by-ethan-cross-aut... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Nov 16, 2012 |

THE SHEPHERD introduced one of contemporary suspense fiction's great rivalries between Marcus Williams, a tortured but brilliant government agent and Francis Ackerman Jr., a cunning and nuanced killer. Now, in THE PROPHET, Marcus continues his pursuit of Ackerman, even as another case takes center stage. Williams and his team must track down a killer known only as The Anarchist before another victim falls prey. Marcus gets unexpected help from Ackerman, but is this assistance a trap that will destroy multiple lives?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible