Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska by…

Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska (edition 2013)

by Tricia Goyer, Ocieanna Fleiss

Member:tiinaj1
Title:Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska
Authors:Tricia Goyer
Other authors:Ocieanna Fleiss
Info:Summerside Press (2013), Paperback, 320 pages

Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska by Tricia Goyer

Ginny is on the verge of having her dreams come true. Her producer is offering her the chance to sign the deal of a lifetime. Ginny can't quite forget her old fiance though and decides he will have the best advice for her. So Ginny is off to Alaska to see Brett. When she gets there Brett is out communing with nature, so Ginny gets to know the town without him. She soon is taking care of Brett's grandmother. Brett's grandmother gives her some letters to read about Ellie, another woman who felt out of place in Alaska. Ginny and Ellie's stories parallel each others in some ways, and Ginny and Ellie both will have to decide if there are reasons to stay in Alaska.

This book is actually two stories in one. The first is Ginny's story, and the second is Ellie's. Ginny is interesting. She basically has to decide what her priorities are going to be. This can be very hard to figure out. For one thing, Ginny has had a horribly difficult life. Singing is her dream, so a big recording deal is a gateway to everything she ever wanted. However, she sees another way of life in Alaska. The community is so close-knit there. I think this is something that really draws Ginny in. Having spent much of her life in foster care, Ginny really longs for a family. This longing has shaped a lot of her life. Ellie's story is equally interesting. Sent to Alaska to nanny the children of a widower, Ellie finds that life in Alaska is much more difficult that she could have ever imagined. She too though must prioritize what is important in her life.

I enjoyed this book. The descriptions of Alaska are really able to draw you in. You feel for Ginny. Although she seems to have everything she wanted right at the tip of her fingers, you just want her to choose everything for the right reasons. I found Ellie's story interesting as well, and there is a thread to wrap the two stories together that I didn't see coming. This book will whisk you away to Alaska and make you want to get the priorities in your life straight.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Apr 25, 2013 |
Love Finds You In Glacier Bay Alaska is so amazing. It is two love stories from two different periods in time, combined into one. The stories of Ginny and Brett and Ellie and Clay as well as Janey and her siblings are so filled with raw emotion that I, literally, bawled my eyes out throughout the entire novel. God’s love is questioned. But His love is also apparent in the entire story. Both stories, actually!

I love how Tricia and Ocieanna write together. And the authors really did their research on the area of Glacier Bay. They have such compatibility as authors and it is so evident in their novels. Even though they both have different writing styles, their words flow together perfectly. It is my understanding that Ocieanna wrote the letters to and from Ellie and Tricia wrote the story of Ginny.

Even though one part of the story takes place in the 1920′s and the other is modern day, both love stories reflect each other. I can see how Ginny would be captivated and want to read through all the letters to find out what happened to Ellie. I was! I couldn't stop reading. I sat down to read a few pages and didn't stop until I had finished the book. It is that good. Be prepared, though. It is emotional. You will want to have a new box of tissues beside you while you are reading. There will be waterworks. At least there were for me. I cried like a baby the entire time. Not out of sadness but because the story was just so emotional and so heart-wrenching. And I’m not just talking about the characters stories. The way that the mention of God flows through the characters lives and the way He is mentioned throughout the book is very touching. I felt such a blessing while reading this book. That is the only way I know to describe the feelings I had. It is just so good!

This is one of my favorite lines from the book:
… As heartbroken as we all are, we know our calling is here, and our Rock is the Lord.

I received a complimentary copy of this book as a member of Tricia Goyer's 2013 Launch Team. All opinions are my own. ( )
  CinnamonHollow | Jan 7, 2013 |
I am tired, I am hungry, my house is a mess, but I just got home from Alaska! Glacier Bay, to be exact. I stayed with Grandma Ellie together with Ginny. Oh no, that was the book I was reading.
But housework, cooking, cleaning and so on did get left as I went on a virtual tour of the little area of Gustavus/Strawberry Point which is only accessible by plane or boat. I also had to finish this before I went to sleep! The vivid descriptions of the people and terrain are so real, I was completely immersed in the story. Although it is not really a suspense story, I could not put the book down and when I had to take time out for necessities, I had to remind myself that nothing would happen while I was gone, it would still be there when I got back to it. I was anxious to see how it would end, yet dreading finishing it because then it would be over!
One of the best romance novels I have read in the last six months, and I gladly recommend this to you, my reader as well as my friends I talk to.

I received this book free from the authors for the purpose of reviewing it. A positive review was not required, just an honest critique. The opinions stated are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Jan 6, 2013 |
Ok, it is official, Alaska is amazing! You ever been there? I haven't, but after reading Love Finds You in Glacier Bay Alaska, I know it just has to be amazing! This is the third book that Tricia Goyer & Ocieanna Fleiss have written together! Please say there will be more...please! I'm all for a sequel to this book, but I'm also all for any work the two of you bring to us readers! Thank you!

The story is about Ginny, a rising singer, who is on the verge of getting everything she always wanted....or is she? She has a huge life changing decision to make and seeks out her former fiancé for his advice. Brett lives in Glacier Bay, Alaska. When Ginny arrives Brett is not there, but she is introduced to his grandma, Ethel. Instantly Grandma Ethel takes Ginny right in and while there Ginny discovers the story of Ellie through a box of letters! What an adventure lies ahead...

I do note there was one little teeny tiny misinformation in chapter two...The Parent Trap reference, I am certain they meant the remake of The Parent Trap and not The Parent Trap II as stated. This was easily and quickly overlooked and forgotten, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it as many of you know how much I love both The Parent Trap movies, original and remake!

The genealogist in me loved the way this story plays out! My favorite part of this book is the use of letters, kept over time, from people so important to the history of Glacier Bay and now, it turns out, to the future of Ginny! WOW! This novel moved me; it has been a long time since I've given a book 5 stars! This book jumped right up there to match the level of my favorite Sisterchick books!

The setting took on a life of its own as a character in the book, the small close knit community! I have always loved the idea of a small community where everyone knows everyone! As I read this story, I could clearly see the book playing in mind as a movie, oh please let this happen! Such a moving story...stories even!

My favorite complete character is Janey and my least favorite character is Mrs. Standard! You will just have to read the entire story for yourself to find out why! Then come back, let me know what you think and who and what you especially liked and didn't like!

This book was very well researched by the authors! They even went to Glacier Bay, Alaska. This is the third of the three books written by Tricia Goyer & Ocieanna Fleiss, but the first that I have read! I look forward to finding the time to go back and read the other two, Love Finds You in Lonesome Prairie, Montana & Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington!

FAVORITE QUOTE: Pg 226: "It's hard to know, isn't it, whether the things we face are just because the world is full of sin and sinful people, or if God is working out a plan...I happen to think it's both. There's sin, but through it all, He takes the mess we make and paints a masterpiece." ---This was THE perfect quote to summarize 2012 for our family! We are now awaiting the `masterpiece' that is still in the works for us!

Disclosure: As part of the Tricia Goyer 2013 Fiction Launch Team, I did receive a free copy of this book; however I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed here are completely my own! ( )
  BeakersBookshelf | Jan 6, 2013 |
I have a family member who ran away to Alaska. She lived there for 7 years, and I never visited her. This story calls me to dream of travels there. It was a beautifully and skillfully woven story of love, and adventure, in the Alaskan wilderness. It kept me lingering on each word, and savoring each page. It is a blessing to read of a Christian influence, acknowledgement and gratitude to a loving God, and the power of Jesus, in the storyline as well. My hope is that these talented authors will add a sequel. I will treasure this book for years to come. ( )
  SamantheSue | Jan 5, 2013 |

Tricia Goyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fleiss, Ocieannamain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Sometimes the love we've always wanted is the one we've always had. Singer Ginny Marshall is one signature away from a major recording contract--a dream come true for a girl still struggling to bury memories of the past. Wanting to talk to someone with her best interests in mind, she looks up her former fiance, Brett Miller, in Glacier Bay, Alaska. There, the stunning scenery provides a respite from LA's pressures, and Ginny finds community among the charming residents. She also discovers a box of old letters and is swept up in the tale of Clay, an early missionary to Alaska, and Ellie, the woman who traveled there to be his children's governess. As their story unfolds, Ginny just might discover that healing and love are sometimes found in the most unexpected places."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible