Fatale, Book 2: The Devil's Business by…

Fatale, Book 2: The Devil's Business (edition 2013)

by Ed Brubaker, Dave Stewart, Sean Phillips

Member:davidscarter
Title:Fatale, Book 2: The Devil's Business
Authors:Ed Brubaker
Other authors:Dave Stewart, Sean Phillips
Info:Image Comics (2013), Paperback, 136 pages
Rating:***

Fatale, Volume 2: The Devil's Business by Ed Brubaker

The setting moves to sleazy 1970s Hollywood where Jo is living the life of a rich recluse. As we've grown to know, Josephine is never far from controversy and when a B-list actor and his butchered friend nearly fall into her lap, Jo must try to avoid all the violence that they inadvertently bring with them.

I had to have my jaw surgically reattached after I finished the first volume of Fatale. Once again, Brubaker and Phillips left me with a vast appreciation for the entertainment that they provide us. They are true masters of their craft.

However, all the greats fail to deliver once or twice, even Wayne Gretzky was held scoreless every now and then. Continuing with my hockey reference, With volume two, the duo played a great game but didn't really put on a memorable performance. But that's the thing about a player as solid as Gretzky, you can allow for off nights but the fact is, he's still Wayne Gretzky, and you know you can't keep a good guy down for long.

The collected issues (6-10) contained within, and the main story told, really came across as, for lack of a better word, messy. I didn't quite feel that connection with Miles as I have with characters they've written in the past and found myself pondering what was happening with Lash in present day. I suppose the 70s Hollywood/Satanic Cult stuff just didn't grab my attention long enough to hold my interest.

I have no doubt that this series will rebound and become something special. Maybe we're just in that lull period in a story that sometimes solely exists to get characters from point A to point B. While that's not something I'm used to with regards to these guys, it's something I'm willing to look past (for once). ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Continues Ed Brubaker's darker-shade-of-noir series. Now that we're several issues in, the series loses some of its initial wow factor, but it's still a nicely told tale with beautiful artwork. Can't wait to read more. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |

Ed Brubakerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Phillips, SeanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"In 1970s Los Angeles, Josephine can't hide from the forces of Hollywood, Satanic Cults, and creepy 8mm films collected by wealthy deviants. And when a struggling actor and his wounded friend cross her path, all hell will break loose, leaving ripples that echo all the way to modern time, where Nicolas Lash becomes more and more obsessed with finding the ageless Josephine and uncovering her mysteries"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,336,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible