Dead Stop by D. Nathan Hilliard

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:***

Dead Stop by D. Nathan Hilliard

"Dead Stop" is definitely one of the best Zombie books I've read. The Author is so descriptive in the details, especially when it comes to gore, that, at times, I've felt like I was standing right there with the characters in the middle of the action. Hell, I even checked myself a couple of times to see if blood splattered on my clothes.

The story takes place at a rural truck stop - the closest citizens live in a town roughly a mile away. The highway is empty of traffic as most of the locals are filling the bleachers at the local high school football game. The activity around the truck stop is quiet, casual and normal: truckers are in the shower and preparing for the night, mechanics are closing up shop, Lizzy the prostitute is making her rounds among the parked trucks, a customer wanders through the store and patrons occupy seats within the restaurant. The first sign of any trouble is when the three local sheriff cars and two state police cars speed by with lights flashing and sirens blaring - heading toward the nearby town. There is some speculation about the police emergency, but those inside the main building soon return to what they were doing before the interruption. Little do they know that zombies are exiting the cornfield, at the rear of the property, and are starting to attack the living. Soon, those within will be surrounded by the living dead and the siege will begin.

These zombies are different and the method of reanimation is unique to this genre. They are very strong, ferrel, quite fast and dressed in their Sunday best, however, many are missing faces; the author refers to them as "the terror". Those inside must try to survive on their own. There is no outside information or help, no weapons, and they can't die like normal zombies. Some parts of the story are so intense, that I found myself thankful afterwards for an opportunity to catch my breath. Those type of breaks occur often, but don't get too comfortable, because the intensity will start all over again within a heart beat.

There are some typos throughout the story, but those can be easily overlooked as they don't impact the tale. "Dead Stop" is highly recommended - especially for those liking this genre. It opens up a whole new possibility for future books. I would assume there will be a sequel (the ending leaves it open for one), and if so, I look forward to reading it when it becomes available.

Great job!

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
  JPodlaski | Jun 14, 2013 |
Think of this as a zombie beach novel - something to lose yourself in for a couple of hours. It's not jaw-droppingly spectaculor, but it also isn't absolute dreck. It's in-between.

The precipitating factor in the making of the zombies was unique - and actually kind of plausible. Even better, it wasn't bio-engineered!

Yes, alot of the characters were cliches: the pretty (yet tough) waitresses at the truck stop, the rich kid who was an arrogant, entitled ass, the good ol' boy who can't get ahead.... They all managed to mesh together nicely. Those that didn't were either killed off early on or injured and unconscious for the rest of the book.

The description of the interior of the store and truck stop were a little confusing - I kept misplacing doors in my mental map, and wondering just how someone got from point A to point B so easy.

This can either be a stand-alone novel or part of a series. ( )
  elwood_mom | Dec 5, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible