The Intercept: A Jeremy Fisk Novel by Dick…

The Intercept: A Jeremy Fisk Novel (edition 2012)

by Dick Wolf

Member:tarablythe
Title:The Intercept: A Jeremy Fisk Novel
Authors:Dick Wolf
Info:William Morrow (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Review Book

The Intercept by Dick Wolf (Author)

abandoned (1) action (2) AF (1) ARC (6) audiobook (2) Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (2) cops (1) crime (3) ebook (5) fiction (19) free (1) Jeremy Fisk (2) Kindle (5) mystery (9) New York (3) New York City (3) nook (3) novel (2) NYPD (2) paperback (2) read (2) read in 2013 (3) series (2) star (1) suspense (8) terrorism (6) terrorists (3) thriller (13) to-read (9) wolf (1)

The Intercept by Dick Wolf is a 2012 William Morrow publication.
Right before a big fourth of July celebration in New York and a dedication at ground zero, a plane is nearly highjacked. Six people on board the jet come out the event as heroes. Jeremy Fisk is a long term dedicated detective. Events like this are what keeps him sharp and focused. You can never forget, not even for a moment and let your guard down.
As the six heroes are interviewed and begin getting star treatment from the press, Fisk and his partner, Krina Gersten know that the danger is far from over. A dangerous terrorist is on US soil and they know he has plans. As more information becomes available it appears that the attempted hijacking could have all been smoke and mirrors for a an even bigger event. Naturally, the fourth of July in New York City at ground zero would be too good to pass up.
This is the first book in a planned series by Dick Wolf the man behind the long running Law & Order series. I felt like this book was exactly what I would have expected from this author. We have the thoughts of the investigators , a few behind the scenes glimpes of "The Six" and their sordid personal lives, and the inner thoughts of terrorist and the delusions that propels them to sacrifice themselves for a cause they have long since lost the thread of. The suspense is built at a slow pace and increases with each section of the book, taking the reader on the same journey as all the people involved. You know what is going on, but the characters do not and this is always an effective tactic. Obviously, the plot was thought out and planned to unfold at a certain pace that will keep the reader interested. Once we realize just what is going on it really becomes a race against time. The tense atmosphere will begin to turn into a heavy feeling of dread. Fisk is a good guy that has gone through a lot in his career . He is a character that we will grow to like as further books are published. The place he sits in after all is said and done is not where we would have liked him to be, but hopefully, he will come out on the other side with a new direction and dedication to stopping these crimes against innocent people.
This is not a bad start to the series . I do think that to keep the Fisk series alive the author will have to really dig deep though and bring out more of the main characters inner demons and private lives that many enjoy knowing when reading a series. We need to care about the character and root for him to win. I think this book gives us just enough of an inside peek into Fisk's personal situation to have the reader developing a soft spot for him. Hopefully, Wolf will cash in on this momentum and raise the bar for the next book. This one gets an A. ( 4 stars) ( )
  gpangel | Apr 1, 2014 |
Detectives Fisk and Gersten are investigating a terrorist conspiracy. Who knows how far and just how many are involved?

A factual yet emotional charged narrative, depending on the sequence, push and motivate the characters. The characters are authentic, varied, and driven in a variety of ways.

While it is difficult to base a story on recent history due to potential reader emotional/personal/etc involvement, the author does a good job attempting to personalize things for the characters which are on both sides of the conflict.

Overall, an interesting read. ( )
  catya77 | Feb 17, 2014 |
Book 1, in the Jeremy Fisk series

Right from the opening pages it is evident that this well-known producer specializes in crime dramas. His debut novel is part police procedural and part a ticking bomb thriller and it is of no surprise that this whole experience felt like reading a screenplay with all the bells and whistles, a very visual encounter one with all the hallmark of the TV program “Law & Order”.

Here are the highlights:

Jeremy Fisk is an NYPD officer who works in the Intelligence Division to combat terrorism. When a terror attempt on a commercial flight is disrupted days before July 4, when One World Trade Center is set to be dedicated, Fisk and partner Krina Gersten work to figure out who was behind the attack and what they might be planning next.

Further thoughts

Although the theme may be far from being original, it provides nevertheless an entertaining story. I presume this confidant novel will surely make it to the top of the best seller list. Mr. Wolf prose is tight and we are given short and sharp chapters with plenty of action and few red herrings. The characters are as varied as they come and should appeal to most. This well-crafted, multi layered plot is heavily depending on its dialogue for impact and it excels in doing so. This book held me captive on roller-coaster ride of suspense, intrigue and action till its last page. I am looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Sep 12, 2013 |
Rating the story by Dick Wolf: I admit to being a bit disappointed this story didn't quite meet my expectations of the writer/producer of the "Law & Order" TV series. Having said that, the storyline is relevant and the beginning, imaginative and seemingly probable to occur. The book follows several characters in some detail, but perhaps not enough of the H/H, to my liking.
The villain is obvious before the reader has confirmation, but the story did have a couple of "bait and switch" vignettes, temporarily stepping in the way leading to this deduction. The ending was a bit anticlimactic, in light of a significant event that previously effects the main characters. I rate this story 3.5 stars.

Rating the narration by Peter Ganim I believe this was the first audio book narrated by Mr. Ganim, that I have listened to, and it may be the last. His narration, meant to be dramatic, yet matter-of-fact, came off as monotonous and flat. Also, I have a real beef with the recording companies (or whomever makes this type of decision), when there is no or very little pause between "chapters" or "scenes." Often, I found myself a couple of sentences into a new scene, before knowing so. I rate his performance 2 stars. (not weighted into the rating assigned to the book on LT). ( )
  Conkie | Jul 21, 2013 |
I rate books according to the genre and what I expect to get out of that genre. The Intercept is a classic thriller. When I read a thriller, I expect a quick, gripping read that leaves me a little bit disturbed with an uneasy 'this could really happen' feeling. I don't expect a lot of in-depth character development, scenery, or pretty words. In that respect, I would rate this book 4.5 stars because that is what it delivered. It took me perhaps 5 hours to read, I learned a few things I didn't know, it had a plausible jihadist plot, and my husband came down bleary-eyed at 3:30 a.m. to ask why I hadn't come to bed yet and I waved him off until I finished.

My only complaint was the protagonist could have been more fleshed out. My other complaint is that, when it's so easy to villify Islamicists with current world events, I wish there had been more insight into the motivations behind the villains and perhaps more HELPFUL followers of Islam who had more moderate views.

Thank you, Mr. Wolf, for this enjoyable Goodreads First-Reads Giveaway. ( )
  Anna_Erishkigal | Jul 19, 2013 |

Wolf, DickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ganim, PeterReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Fisk—assigned to the department's Intelligence Division, a well-funded anti-terror unit modeled on the CIA—suspects that the event might also be a warning sign that another, potentially more extraordinary scheme has been set in motion. Fluent in Arabic and the ways of his opponents, Fisk is a rule breaker who follows his gut—even if it means defying those above him in the department's food chain. So when a passenger from the same plane, a Saudi Arabian national, disappears into the crowds of Manhattan, it's up to Fisk and his partner Krina Gersten to find him before the celebrations begin.

Watching each new lead fizzle, chasing shadows to dead ends, Fisk and Gersten quickly realize that their opponents are smarter and more agile than any they have ever faced. Extremely clever and seemingly invisible, they are able to exploit any security weakness and anticipate Fisk's every move . . . and time is running out.

Days before the July Fourth holiday and the dedication of One World Trade Center at Ground Zero, an incident aboard a commercial jet flying over the Atlantic Ocean reminds everyone that vigilance is not a task to be taken lightly. But for iconoclastic NYPD detective Jeremy Fisk, it may also be a signal that there is much more to this case than the easy answer of this being just the work of another lone terrorist.… (more)

8 wanted1 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible