Calling Me Home: A Novel by Julie Kibler

Calling Me Home: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Julie Kibler

Member:RobinBrz
Title:Calling Me Home: A Novel
Authors:Julie Kibler
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2014), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Book Club '14 -'15, Recently Read

Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler (2013)

English (56)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (60)
Based on a family secret revealed to her, Kibler turns her grandmother’s story of forbidden love into an impossible-to-put-down, page-turner of a novel. This is the story of a journey taken by eighty-nine-year-old Isabelle McAllister and Dorrie Curtis, a single mom struggling to find her way. Dorrie has taken care of Isabelle’s hair for years, first in the salon and now at home as Isabelle’s health declines. Their closeness and mutual respect goes deeper than that of professional and client. So when Isabelle asks, Dorrie doesn’t hesitate to do her a favor by driving Isabelle to an event which is shrouded in mystery. Along the way, Isabelle begins to share the story of her life. She reveals how as a young girl, she fell in love with a young black man; an unforgivable and forbidden choice for a white girl in the old south. As we learn the heartbreaking story of Isabelle’s life, we also see the deepening relationship between Isabelle and Dorrie, and Dorrie’s transformation as she applies Isabelle’s life lessons to her own life. Haunting, emotional, and highly relevant, this beautifully written debut novel is not to be missed.

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was a fast read, the story being interesting and gripping. I thought it was a bit melodramatic at times, but it did open my eyes to a period in America that I haven't read much about. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
4.5 but I’m rounding up to 5

Part 'Driving Miss Daisy' and part 'The Help', the story begins when Miss Isabelle, a nearly 90 year old white woman, asks Dorrie, her 30-something black hairdresser, to drive her to a funeral in Cincinnatti. Tomorrow. I listened to this on audio and the narrators brought the book to life. I laughed and I cried as I became totally invested in this story about love, friendship, family, and race relations.

Told in alternating POV, we’re transported back to the early 1930s/early 40s as Miss Isabelle slowly reveals her story of forbidden love when, as a young girl, she falls in love with the black son of her housekeeper. The current day story builds upon the friendship Miss Isabella and Dorrie already enjoy. As a single mom, Dorrie has problems of her own, which she shares with Isabelle.

Their friendship is sweet and funny, and the journey changes both of them. Usually when a book changes POV between past and present I end up preferring one over the other. But with this book, I found both stories gripping and loved both characters. There is a mystery and just when you think you’ve figured it out, you find out you’re wrong. The ending delivers an emotional punch and a week later I find myself still thinking about the book. Highly recommended!
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Wonderful! ( )
  NanaDebs | Jan 9, 2017 |
Loved this book and would love to see it as a movie! ( )
  Kimmyd76 | Jan 4, 2017 |
Maar alles wat verloren is wordt door de engelen bewaard
liefste
Het verleden is niet dood voor ons maar slechts in slaap
liefste
Het kleine aardse verdriet zal in de hemel
snel vergeten zijn
want daar beginnen jij en ik opnieuw
in onze kindertijd

Uit het gedicht 'At Last' van Helen Hunt Jackson
But all lost things are in the angels keeping love, no past is dead for us, but only sleeping, love, The years of heaven will all earth's little pain make good, together there we can begin again, in babyhood. From Helen Hunt Jackson's Poem - "At Last"
Voor oma, voor gemiste kansen
For Grandma, for what might have been
Toen ik Dorrie leerde kennen, een jaar of tien geleden, deed ik heel onaardig tegen haar.
I acted hateful to Dorrie the 1st time we met, a decade or so ago.

A debut novel interweaving the story of a heartbreaking, forbidden love in 1930s Kentucky with an unlikely modern-day friendship. Eighty-nine-year-old Isabelle McAllister has a favor to ask her hairdresser Dorrie Curtis: drop everything and drive from Arlington, Texas, to a funeral in Cincinnati. Tomorrow. Dorrie, fleeing problems of her own, agrees. It's a journey that changes both their lives, as she learns Isabelle's tale of a forbidden relationship and its tragic consequences-- a tale that just might help Dorrie find her own way.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible