Dragon Rose by Christine Pope
Collections:Read
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Fairy Tale

Dragon Rose by Christine Pope

I sat down to read the first chapter or two of Dragon Rose, by Christine Pope, and ended up being unable to put it down until I had reached the end. I'm one of those people who can't get enough Beauty and the Beast retellings, and Pope's draconic twist was a unique take on the tale. Despite being very familiar with the Beauty and the Beast structure, there were many times when I was left in doubt as to what would come next.

The story's heroine is Rhianne, who has the practicality and kindness expected of an eldest daughter, but she has a dreamy side, as evidenced by her artistic nature. These traits come together to bring her to Black's Keep, as the latest Bride to the cursed dragon lord who lives there. Though initially sure that she's destined to be eaten, her new husband, Theran Blackmoor, proves to be similarly kind, witty, and thoughtful.

But in this tale, a nice husband and true love aren't enough to break a centuries old curse, and Rhianne may be running out of time to find the real key to their freedom.

I cannot explain to you exactly how much I loved this story. The characters were sympathetic and interesting, the descriptions were lush, without being overdone and the world and culture were compelling enough that I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the Tales of Latter Kingdoms series (though it should be noted that these are standalone works).

Fans of fairy tale fantasy, such as Robin McKinley's novels, are going to love this one.

Note: I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Member Giveaway program. This has no bearing on the content of my review. ( )
  yoroshiqueen | Mar 21, 2014 |
An excellent retelling of Beauty and the Beast. My only criticism is that the ending was a bit abrupt. I think the story would have been better served if there had been more of a buildup/lead into it, maybe more hints about the curse and what all it entailed. Other than that, I thought the story was well-paced and engaging. I'm looking forward to reading other books in this series. ( )
  TnTexas | Apr 1, 2013 |
Dragon Rose was an excellent read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is approximately 180 pages long so is a little bit short (I wish is was longer so I could have more of it to read) but packs a punch. It's not a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast but it has some of the flavor of that story. ( )
  HReading | Jan 13, 2013 |
I completely enjoyed this unique take on the Beauty and the Beast tale. Anyone who likes fairytales will fall in love with this story. It has the underlying love story, with the much needed curse to overcome, the secrets surrounding the mentioned curse, and a journey you will never forget with a happy ending.
Each character was very well developed for their respective roles in the story. I also loved how little things were revealed along the way which made the story more intriguing and interesting and not predictable or boring.
I’m looking forward to reading more of Christine Pope’s Latter Kingdom books. ( )
  marysneedle | Nov 30, 2012 |
Absolutely wonderful re-telling of a classic fairy tale. I won't give away which one. Loved the main characters and the premise of the story. Nicely written and engaging. Yes, a little bit predictable since it's a re-telling of a classic, but I loved the twists in the story line. Makes me want to read more by this author. ( )
  GayleBitker | Nov 19, 2012 |

The shadow of the cursed Dragon Lord has hung over the town of Lirinsholme for centuries, and no one ever knows when the Dragon will claim his next doomed Bride. Rhianne Menyon has dreams of being a painter, but her world changes forever when a single moment of sacrifice brings her to Black's Keep as the Dragon's latest Bride. As she attempts to adjust to her new life -- and to know something of the monster who is now her husband -- she begins to see that the curse is far crueler than she first believed. Unraveling the mystery of what happened to the Dragon's Brides is only the beginning...
[retrieved 4/15/2014 from Amazon.com]

Christine Pope is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,105,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible