Dragon Rose by Christine Pope
Collections:Read
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Fairy Tale

Dragon Rose by Christine Pope

Do you like take-offs of fairy tales with dragons and mage curses which can't be broken? Christine Pope has written a series which will sure to delight. I so enjoyed the audiobook of Dragon Rose, narrated by Valerie Gilbert in first person.

This is my first adventure with author Christine Pope. Dragon Rose is written in first person which is a difficult voice to write. Valerie Gilbert, as narrator, was a great choice for she truly conveyed the emotional upheaval Rhianne experienced when she chose to take the place of her best friend and marry Theran Blackmoor, the dragon of Black’s Keep. Ms. Gilbert is the reason I picked this book to listen to in the first place. She has a great presence and entirely engulfed me in the author’s world.

Rhianne was unique. She had two gifts. As a ‘seerer’ she was haunted with dreams, difficult to forget. She also had a love of nature and the ability to paint, something she learned from an elderly painter and an occupation she should not follow. With this skill she worked through her dreams and fell in love with her painting of the man in her dreams. Little did she know how important this skill would be for her very life!

This tale reminds me of Beauty and the Beast. A mage spell kept Theran in dragon form. He was obliged to marry young girls from the nearby village – if he didn’t the curse would manifest itself by destroying more lives. Theran was reduced to marrying even though he knew the fate of these young women. 500 years of marrying and still the curse continued. Would there be no end? Could Rhianne save her dragon whom she’d come to love? Could she save herself?

Plenty of suspense and danger. The story was riveting, yet very much a fairy tale. I’m thoroughly delighted to find another author who writes fantasy with romance inclinations. And writes so well! Recommended highly for those who love fairy tale plots with just enough twist to keep the reader guessing. ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Dec 13, 2015 |
This book, while not great, was an enjoyable retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Although this time, the Beast is a dragon.

The story is well told from the perspective of the heroine, Rhianne, who dreams of being an artist. Although, sadly for her, that dream quickly appears shattered when is is decided she shall marry the Lord of the lands. An interesting blend the known story with some new twists. Most of the book was predicable but the author shows her own ideas and thought in various ways as you read along.

My biggest complaint is that I couldn't connect with the characters. I love the Beauty and the Beast stories and this is the first one that, when finished, I still could not draw up emotion for the characters much. That really did take away from the story some. Don't get me wrong. They were alright, I just felt disconnected somewhat.

Still, a beautiful world awaits with an enthralling tale! The writing is well done, the world set up nicely. The story is both familiar and unique at the same time. I am glad I out this book and hope others enjoy it too. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
I sat down to read the first chapter or two of Dragon Rose, by Christine Pope, and ended up being unable to put it down until I had reached the end. I'm one of those people who can't get enough Beauty and the Beast retellings, and Pope's draconic twist was a unique take on the tale. Despite being very familiar with the Beauty and the Beast structure, there were many times when I was left in doubt as to what would come next.

The story's heroine is Rhianne, who has the practicality and kindness expected of an eldest daughter, but she has a dreamy side, as evidenced by her artistic nature. These traits come together to bring her to Black's Keep, as the latest Bride to the cursed dragon lord who lives there. Though initially sure that she's destined to be eaten, her new husband, Theran Blackmoor, proves to be similarly kind, witty, and thoughtful.

But in this tale, a nice husband and true love aren't enough to break a centuries old curse, and Rhianne may be running out of time to find the real key to their freedom.

I cannot explain to you exactly how much I loved this story. The characters were sympathetic and interesting, the descriptions were lush, without being overdone and the world and culture were compelling enough that I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the Tales of Latter Kingdoms series (though it should be noted that these are standalone works).

Fans of fairy tale fantasy, such as Robin McKinley's novels, are going to love this one.

Note: I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Member Giveaway program. This has no bearing on the content of my review. ( )
  yoroshiqueen | Mar 21, 2014 |
An excellent retelling of Beauty and the Beast. My only criticism is that the ending was a bit abrupt. I think the story would have been better served if there had been more of a buildup/lead into it, maybe more hints about the curse and what all it entailed. Other than that, I thought the story was well-paced and engaging. I'm looking forward to reading other books in this series. ( )
  TnTexas | Apr 1, 2013 |
Dragon Rose was an excellent read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is approximately 180 pages long so is a little bit short (I wish is was longer so I could have more of it to read) but packs a punch. It's not a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast but it has some of the flavor of that story. ( )
  HReading | Jan 13, 2013 |

The shadow of the cursed Dragon Lord has hung over the town of Lirinsholme for centuries, and no one ever knows when the Dragon will claim his next doomed Bride. Rhianne Menyon has dreams of being a painter, but her world changes forever when a single moment of sacrifice brings her to Black's Keep as the Dragon's latest Bride. As she attempts to adjust to her new life -- and to know something of the monster who is now her husband -- she begins to see that the curse is far crueler than she first believed. Unraveling the mystery of what happened to the Dragon's Brides is only the beginning...
[retrieved 4/15/2014 from Amazon.com]

Christine Pope is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

4 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,263,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible