Elly In Bloom by Colleen Oakes

Elly In Bloom (edition 2012)

by Colleen Oakes

Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:Chick Lit

Elly In Bloom by Colleen Oakes

Disclaimer: I did not finish reading this book.

The goodreads page for Elly in Bloom has tons of good reviews at the beginning. Good, glowing reviews that told me that this book is the perfect pleasure read: a smart, sassy slightly pudgy woman takes revenge on the man who slighted her by being awesome and successful without feeling the pressure to lose weight. The best kind.

But oh, that it was not. Elly is not sassy. And the things that are meant to be funny, the things that are meant to make us pity her, be on her side and make us cheer for her, well they don't make me feel anything for her. Disdain for the author because she didn't really pause to sketch out her character, really feel her and make her something beyond the needy two dimensional caricature of a person. People look down their noses at things like the Shopaholic series because they think its chic-lit; that all the heroine is really concerned about is shoes, clothes and finding a man. Despite Becky's shortcomings and her utter lack of concern for the world beyond her pert, little nose, I still think Sophie Kinsella is amazing because Becky is still the same(almost) charming, would-want-to-strangle self that we meet in book one. SK fleshed out Becky so well that thousands of women all over the world can relate to her and her(slightly exaggerated) problems.

Not one of the characters have escaped this to become real, living, breathing people that I could love(is Snarky Teenager meant to be funny?). Their thoughts, the interactions - they're so stilted and fake that I just couldn't go on. I stopped when Kim told Elly that she wanted to quit just because and that she didn't need to justify herself. That particular moment was so annoying because I could imagine having that conversation with my best friend and yeah, those were the words we would totally use. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
This is a chick-lit novel with a difference. The main female is not a skinny or beautiful and has more insecurities than some has-been selling their story to a gossip magazine. It starts a couple of years after she has left her cheating husband behind for a new life and opened up a florist. Her life is happily plodding along in recovery mode when she gets offered a wedding contract that would be the answer to her financial woes, only problem is the groom is someone from her past. The author shows Elly character develop through this crisis of conscience of whether to accept the gig and get over her past or run away again. ( )
  Daydreambooks | Jul 20, 2013 |
Elly In Bloom is a wonderful story of a girl's life who went thru self discovery and a life she so wanted to have for herself to live. Very fun and inspiring for all. Very well written and hat's off to Colleen! ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
This book frustrated me on several levels. I don't necessarily think the writing is bad.. but the character development.. blargh.

I don't think much of a heroine who needs to have people help pick herself up everytime something does not go according to plan. For someone that runs her own business, this is a rather serious flaw. I did get tired of watching the heroine break down time & time again. Like many women, both in real life and literature.. her self worth seems to be tied in to her appearance. I know this phenomena isn't going away anytime soon, but one can hope I suppose.

Dating a guy for some months.. with the only intimacy allowed is kissing? I dunno. The author does show the guy getting frustrated, but backs down and lets the heroine steer the relationship. *My* own personal perception is that a lot of men would either get tired of this quickly or find something on the side so to speak. ( )
  Readsalot81 | Mar 30, 2013 |
When Elly Jordan catches her husband cheating, she packs her life up and leaves their home in Georgia to start over in St. Louis. Flowers are her passion, and when she has settled into her new life, she opens up Posies, a boutique florist shop catering to weddings. Life is going well for Elly, and just when she thinks she has moved on from her past, an extravagant wedding contract for a "wedding of the year event" for a person from her past puts everything into perspective, making Elly's journey of self-discovery come full circle.

Elly in Bloom is a heartwarming and enjoyable story about a woman whose journey of self-discovery comes full circle as she learns forgiveness, healing, and the ability to move on with her life. Author Colleen Oakes weaves an entertaining tale written in the third person narrative that follows the journey of thirty-two year old Elly Jordan as she moves on from a painful past into a second chance at a good life.

You can't help but love Elly, she is a realistic woman with flaws and normal life issues that the reader can relate to. Elly restarts her life with a new found independence that has some hilarious laugh-out-loud episodes of clumsiness, mishaps and bantering with her quirky friends, employees and customers. The author provides the reader with some really wonderful descriptions about St. Louis, weddings and the florist shop industry.

This story is a breath of fresh air, everyone can relate to Elly in some way, I think there is a little bit of her in each of us. Elly in Bloom is a delightful story that is thoroughly entertaining, and will give the reader a warm and fuzzy feeling and put a smile on their face.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/03/elly-in-bloom-by-colleen-oakes... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Mar 27, 2013 |

Surrounded by lush flowers and neurotic brides, 32-year old Elly Jordan has carved out a sweet little life for herself as the owner of Posies, a boutique wedding florist in St. Louis. It's not bad for a woman who drove away from her entire life just two years earlier when she found her husband entwined with a red-headed artist. Just when she feels that she is finally moving on from her past, she discovers that an extravagant wedding contract is more than she bargained for. Elly bravely agrees to take on the event that threatens to merge her painful history with her bright new life and finds herself blooming in a direction she never imagined.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible