Lunch with Charlotte by Leon Berger

Lunch with Charlotte (edition 2012)

by Leon Berger

2011515,329 (4.28)4
Member:ninichkeh
Title:Lunch with Charlotte
Authors:Leon Berger
Info:Grey Gecko Press (2012), Paperback, 404 pages

Lunch with Charlotte by Leon Berger

I finished reading this book long time ago,.I didn’t write a review right away, because I could find a right words to describe how emotional was this for me..
I read lots books (and watched movies) about WW2, Lunch with Charlotte-it’s not about WW2(as chronically event) - this is about FEELINGS and DESTINY woman, during her long life. How betrayal could affect the life (happened young Charlotte).
This is very good story, I would strongly recommend to read the book. ( )
  Ma_Bu | Apr 9, 2013 |
This book had me on an emotional roller-coaster. I cried throughout most of it, with some periods of happiness and hope. I have read many books about the World War II/Holocaust period (both fiction and non-fiction) and this is by far the best. ( )
  sringle1202 | Feb 26, 2013 |
A story of another time. war and all the horrors that that implies,are told in a very understandable way. all though we perhaps rather not know this book brings it to you in a interesting format. i had lost this book in hyperspace but have managed to download it again and 2nd time reading it i have enjoyed and taken in more of the story. a looksee
at the depression of the 1900's is an eyeopener
  Carmenmaranda | Feb 11, 2013 |
Leon Berger wrote this novel based on a long friendship and many conversations with the protagonist, Charlotte Urban. Like Charlotte, I was born in Vienna, although some years after her. We lived in the same neighborhood, had our lives changed by the Nazi annexation of Austria. We barely managed to escape from war-time Vienna in the fall of 1941, and Berger's vivid descriptions brought it all back: the sounds, the sights and the fears; the bullying; the hated red white and black flags, the hated and feared brownshirts; the curfews and the limitations and the random arrests of friends and relatives. Charlotte herself comes to life in Berger's writing as a strong, brave and charming woman, and her early days in the U.S. (where we finally arrived in 1943) brought back more memories. This is the story of an interesting person, but also a reminder of the Nazi crimes in Europe. A valuable as well as a riveting narrative. ( )
  ninichkeh | Jan 23, 2013 |
A delightful novel, the touching life story of Charlotte. Emotionally packed to say the least, I went from laughing to crying to amazed at her resolve. A highly recommended read for anyone, a must read for history buffs! A very well done novel by Leon Berger. I look forward to his next! ( )
  iampeachy | Jan 13, 2013 |

A PORTION OF THE PROCEEDS FROM EVERY SALE OF THIS BOOK ARE DONATED TO THE HOLOCAUST MUSEUM OF HOUSTON, TEXAS.

Every Friday for the last 25 years of her life, I had lunch with Charlotte and each week she told me more of her extraordinary story. To all appearances, she was a strong and dignified survivor, with old-world courtesies, a twinkling sense of humor, and a lilting Austrian syntax. Yet deep within, she'd been scarred by a profound personal trauma.

Finally, just before she died at the age of 91, she chose to entrust me with this profound secret, and all at once I understood how it had affected her entire adult life. This is a story of friendship and strength, of courage and betrayal. It is an epic tale set against the backdrop of history.

GET THE Kindle EBOOK FREE WHEN YOU BUY ANY PRINT EDITION. Just forward your order confirmation email to sales@greygeckopress.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:19 -0400)

Grey Gecko Press

Two editions of this book were published by Grey Gecko Press.

Editions: 0985440031, 0985440082

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,481,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible