Dominion by C. J. Sansom

Dominion (original 2012; edition 2012)

by C. J. Sansom

322None34,354 (3.79)42
Member:borntorover
Title:Dominion
Authors:C. J. Sansom
Info:Mantle (2012), Edition: Open market ed, Paperback
Rating:***

Dominion by C. J. Sansom (2012)

It’s been a while since I’ve read a real good alternate history book. This one really got me turning the pages and got me wanting to stay up late to finish it (despite it being about the size of a tome).

So the book is mostly told in three different character narratives. David, Frank, or Sarah. The three characters have issues of their own, (David and Sarah sharing a personal tragedy) each of them having their own way of developing their character throughout the story. Suffice to say, all three of them are stronger than how they started off in the book. Frank, I would have to say, ends up being the strongest one of them all. Of the three I’d have to say it’s a close tie between Sarah and Frank as my favorite. Frank especially, after all that he goes through and with a superb background story. I liked Sarah a lot because although she was going through so many marital issues with David, she got it all together in the end and was able to face the danger and she managed to save face and stand head to head to Natalia (whom I found rather odious and extremely unlikable). Good for Sarah, on top of that instead of breaking down like a poor sod with her marriage issues she met them straight on and told David exactly how she felt. Sarah darling, I’m holding a torch for you.

David would be my least favorite character - but a step above Syme and Natalia (oh goodness, yes I put Syme and Natalia in the same boat here). He was okay until this thing with Natalia come up and he suddenly became a likeable very helpful and loyal character to a lovesick poor twit who behaved like a dumb cow. Get over it buddy. You have much more IMPORTANT things to do but noooooooo you got the one track mind going on here (the scene with saying goodbye on the boat just about had me wanting to push David off of it. Seriously!?! your wife is looking at you and while she’s surviving on her own without any help from you, you’re too busy looking for Natalia arrghhh!!! You don’t deserve Sarah!!!!!!)

The plot overall was excellent and well written. It gives a good alternate history of a ‘what if’ scenario and does it well. It nice both sides (German and Resistance) are portrayed here. I sort of felt sorry for Gunther, but on the other hand I didn’t because he was your typical Nazi with those silly political views which induces eye rolling throughout certain parts of the book but you can also feel a sort of weariness in him as if he’s really tired of it all.

The author’s note in the back provides good insight and information that deserves a walk through. Overall I was very pleased and happy with the book and am glad I had the opportunity to read and review it. Greatly recommended and I’m definitely going to check out C J Sansom’s other works. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Mar 26, 2014 |

This is rather an impressive version of the "Hitler Wins" sub-sub-genre of stories: quite a well-imagined defeated England in 1952, with Lord Beaverbrook leading a collaborationist government with Enoch Powell and Pswald Mosley, Adai Stevenson about to take over from the two-term Taft jr across the water, and Hitler on his deathbed. The actual plot concerns some resistance fighters and other activists (led the elderly Churchill in hiding and uncomfortably allied with the Communists) who get caught up in the struggle to prevent a nuclear weapons secret, which has been accidentally obtained by a mad scientist in Birmingham, from falling into Nazi hands. The details are meticulously realised, but the actual McGuffin didn't really convince me, and the ending was a bit too pat as well. Still, interesting to see an author with Sansom's profile dabbling in alternate history. ( )
  nwhyte | Mar 12, 2014 |
Dreadful; and it seemed so promising when I started it. There is a big flaw about a third of the way in. One of the main characters is in two places at once - he spends all morning in a meeting, getting home at lunchtime while also spending the same morning working in the garden! ( )
  Alirob | Feb 25, 2014 |
audiobook ( )
  shd | Feb 18, 2014 |
This is one of those books that I am so glad I snagged it from NetGalley. This book is right up my alley and I'm not sure I would have seen it or read it if it had not been for NetGalley. This is an alternate history book showing what might have happened if Britain had surrendered to Germany during WWII. I love historical fiction that takes place during WWII but haven't read much alternate history yet so this book was a mix of something that I love and something new.

This book follows a couple different characters, most of them British (but there is also a German character and one from Slovakia). Usually I don't really like when a book switches point-of-view between more than two or three characters but this time I feel like it really enhanced the story. The switching of point-of-view really allowed readers to see how all the characters were connected.

The way that Sansom portrays England if they had surrendered to Germany was horrifying yet fascinating. I really enjoyed that he took some time in the back of the book to really explain his reasoning for it.

This book is more than 600 pages but it didn't seem like it at all. I was so focused in on this book that time and the pages just flew by. I really enjoyed all the suspense and twists and turns in this book. I was on the edge of my seat while reading the ending of this book. I didn't want it to end yet I loved the way that Sansom ended it.

I would highly recommend this book to people who like WWII historical fiction, even if you aren't too sure about the whole alternate history thing, this book won't let you down.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me the chance to read this book. ( )
1 vote dpappas | Jan 21, 2014 |
But, as in all the best war-related alternative fiction, the finger of suspicion also jabs uncomfortably at the reader. Sansom directly confronts the frequent, smug view in the UK that nazism and the Jewish Holocaust were inherently German perversions. The English, in this version, often prove just as susceptible to strong but psychotic leadership and the prospect of racist genocide. The song from Cabaret that poses the question "What Would You Do?" might be the theme tune to a tremendous novel that shakes historical preconceptions while also sending shivers down the spine.

Sansom has woven a thriller with the tale of a man's growth into moral courage, but he has done it with the compassion and richness that many literary writers should emulate. Every detail of this nightmare Britain rings true, from the way that morris dancing is televised as a cultural expression of nationalism to the absence of the name "Lyons" in Corner Houses. Cowardice and collaboration are everywhere.

Churchill was last to arrive.

Spy novel set in
Nineteen fifties alternate
Fascist-ruled Britain.
(passion4reading)

1952. Twelve years have passed since Churchill lost to the appeasers and Britain surrendered to Nazi Germany after Dunkirk. As the long German war against Russia rages on in the east, the British people find themselves under dark authoritarian rule: the press, radio and television are controlled; the streets patrolled by violent auxiliary police and British Jews face ever greater constraints. There are terrible rumours too about what is happening in the basement of the German Embassy at Senate House. Defiance, though, is growing. In Britain, Winston Churchill's Resistance organization is increasingly a thorn in the government's side. And in a Birmingham mental hospital an incarcerated scientist, Frank Muncaster, may hold a secret that could change the balance of the world struggle for ever. Civil Servant David Fitzgerald, secretly acting as a spy for the Resistance, is given the mission by them to rescue his old friend Frank and get him out of the country.… (more)

21 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible