Dominion by C. J. Sansom

Dominion (original 2012; edition 2012)

by C. J. Sansom

Member:borntorover
Title:Dominion
Authors:C. J. Sansom
Info:
Rating:***

Dominion by C. J. Sansom (2012)

Recently added byScrambledspirit, MartinJW, LARA335, BooksPlease, private library, rcpaseur, Library37, jrepman, jandk

As I have come to expect from C.J. Sansom this novel demonstrates his excellent imagination and in-depth research. Set in a dreary 1950s Britain, run by Nazis. I liked the detail, but didn't care for any of the characters who seemed to take their colouring from the grey, smoggy atmosphere. Perhaps unfairly, I longed for the colour, warmth, and historical detail of a Shardlake novel. ( )
  LARA335 | Oct 7, 2014 |
Very atmospheric alternative history novel. Found it difficult to put down. ( )
  mancmilhist | Aug 28, 2014 |
This is one of those books which are usually describes as 'Alternative Histories'. In this case the events that take place in 1952,in which Britain surrendered to Germany and became a 'Dominion' of Hitler's Reich. An interesting and clever proposal,which however seems curiously shallow and hollow in Sansom's story.
I love his historical novels but this one leaves me rather underwhelmed. A struggle to finish in fact. (but I did) I have to say in fairness that my wife loved it. ( )
  devenish | Jul 27, 2014 |
This fiction is a dark and terrifyingly alternative history of what might have happened if Churchill had failed to become Prime Minister in May 1940 and the nightmare scenario where the British people are forced to live under menacing authoritarian rules.

The author weaves a gripping and atmospheric spy story. Our guide through this fantasy is David Firtzgerald, a civil servant, who has hidden is half Jewish identity in order to flourish under the regime. This counter factual concoction opens in 1952 12 years after Britain surrendered to Nazi Germany after a brief 2 years conflict. Although the nation is not occupied it is led by Fascists and is under Nazi’s fingers. The underground resistance is fighting back and it is where David comes in and is tasked with rescuing Frank Muncaster, a scientist in possession of vital information, and smuggling him out of the country.

This story keeps our interest by rotating perspective from David’s point of view and jumping to different players and back to David. There is momentum in this cat and mouse chase that is modulated with interludes giving us pause for thought. The book stands a good yarn and is about 1/3 too long for my taste although most will find it to be well-written and well-plotted. The style is at times ponderous and the key points lack the necessary build up to provide intense suspense but are captivating nonetheless. This novel is also crammed with details and clearly shows that the author has done an enormous amount of research and thinking about this alternate history, he has quite an imagination and a scary one to boot. I like the characterization and once my struggles with each of their back-stories forgotten the “What ifs” kept me from being disappointed and overall can say I enjoyed “Dominion”. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 29, 2014 |
WOW!

This is why I love Library Thing - I was thinking about books that I have loved, and remembered reading Fatherland by Robert Harris whilst at university and wondered if there was anymore good alternative history books out there.

2 minutes on LT, a member recommended this and it did not disappoint.

I took it to pass the time during a long weekend away. I've never been so happy to have a holiday ruined by constant rain. I was engrossed from start to finish. The author has done his research and also let his imagination take flight.

If you are interested in WWII history then this is a must! ( )
  johnny_merc | Jun 3, 2014 |
But, as in all the best war-related alternative fiction, the finger of suspicion also jabs uncomfortably at the reader. Sansom directly confronts the frequent, smug view in the UK that nazism and the Jewish Holocaust were inherently German perversions. The English, in this version, often prove just as susceptible to strong but psychotic leadership and the prospect of racist genocide. The song from Cabaret that poses the question "What Would You Do?" might be the theme tune to a tremendous novel that shakes historical preconceptions while also sending shivers down the spine.

Sansom has woven a thriller with the tale of a man's growth into moral courage, but he has done it with the compassion and richness that many literary writers should emulate. Every detail of this nightmare Britain rings true, from the way that morris dancing is televised as a cultural expression of nationalism to the absence of the name "Lyons" in Corner Houses. Cowardice and collaboration are everywhere.

Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Churchill was last to arrive.

Spy novel set in
Nineteen fifties alternate
Fascist-ruled Britain.
(passion4reading)

1952. Twelve years have passed since Churchill lost to the appeasers and Britain surrendered to Nazi Germany after Dunkirk. As the long German war against Russia rages on in the east, the British people find themselves under dark authoritarian rule: the press, radio and television are controlled; the streets patrolled by violent auxiliary police and British Jews face ever greater constraints. There are terrible rumours too about what is happening in the basement of the German Embassy at Senate House. Defiance, though, is growing. In Britain, Winston Churchill's Resistance organization is increasingly a thorn in the government's side. And in a Birmingham mental hospital an incarcerated scientist, Frank Muncaster, may hold a secret that could change the balance of the world struggle for ever. Civil Servant David Fitzgerald, secretly acting as a spy for the Resistance, is given the mission by them to rescue his old friend Frank and get him out of the country.… (more)

21 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,415,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible