The Marriage Mistake by Jennifer Probst

The Marriage Mistake (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Probst

Member:chantelrom
Title:The Marriage Mistake
Authors:Jennifer Probst
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:12/12

The Marriage Mistake by Jennifer Probst

This was an easy read. Max was tormented by his attraction to his best friend's sister. She had wanted him since she was a girl. What made it good was the heat between them. I want a Max! Pure heat and power... but with a soft side. ( )
  Kate.Good | Jul 3, 2014 |
  Kate.Good | Jul 3, 2014 |
I'm slightly shallow. I'll admit it now, before you all chastise me about liking this book. :)

I didn't necessarily believe that Max suddenly developed feelings for Carina, nor was the writing particularly brilliant. But, if we ignore that, it was quite a sweet book.

I think everyone has a soft spot for unrequited love, because at some point, haven't we all been there? I think we all love the idea of someone finally receiving the love they deserve - to some extent it gives some hope.

Maggie still irritates me though. She mellowed a bit in this one, but oh my, she was so whiny! ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
What a book, what a story.
A dream that comes true.
Carina was this little sharming girl that everybody loves who transforms completely into this sophisticated young woman who still search to feel all the joy of life, I really loved her for her challenging personality and strong will with Max. Their encounter was really the most beautiful passages that I reading this book which means the whole book.
One more thing read this book, read this book, read this book. ( )
  Noussaiba | Jan 28, 2014 |

Disclaimer: I didn't finish reading this book.

There are so many reasons this book made it so difficult for me to read it but I am going to go with the top four:

a) authenticity - the lead characters, they're meant to be Italians. Yes. But past the pazzos and the dios i didn't get it. Even in the least. Somehow, the whole they're not american came up only when Max or Carina say things like - Or as you Americans say it. Ok. Love of bruschetta does not make Italian.

b) the lead characters - Neither of them possessed spark or wit. They were a bunch of hormone riddled beings who were supposed to be "charming", "passionate", "over-emotional"(though this one she had apparently over come to have a drama free life) yada yada. They're also supposed to be wildly attracted to each other. Wet paper sparks up better. And neither of them are the smart people that they're supposed to be.

c) the writing - uninteresting and not very stimulating. The author has done her best to include characters from previous books in this but they're just limp one dimensional extras.

d) research - And she might need to take a quick look again at the world of business. Really. This Carina chick is as dumb as they come(if this isn't what she wants to do, why did she go to business school. What a waste of money. And like Max notes, it's not like the family doesn't allow for a passion towards anything other than the family business. Her sister with the name that reminds me of Venice is a fashion designer.). So many of her stupid actions and decisions are just waved away by Max because really, her heart is in the right place. THROW HER OUT BECAUSE SHE SUCKS AT IT. And Maximus, really. If you helped take the business to new heights, it is well within your rights to demand a permanent contract with the company. And really, the way you deal with your father desertion. Tch tch. So one dimensional.

This book just didn't do it for me. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Reviewed by Sarah L.
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

The Marriage Mistake is book three of the Marriage to a Billionaire series by Jennifer Probst. Even though it is the third book in the series, it can be read as a stand-alone. In fact, this is the only book in the series I have read and while there are some allusions to past books this in no way detracted from the story nor made me feel lost in any way.

Initially, I found Carina’s character to be a very strong, determined, independent young woman but beneath the surface we learned that she really was a troubled individual with feelings of inadequacy. She started off as a force to be reckoned with and seemed to have a great can do attitude but we soon learned that she was actually very insecure and unhappy with the direction of her life. I did not fully understand the reasoning behind several of her choices later on in the story, especially those involving Max, but it was admirable the way she did what she needed to do to grow into the strong, independent woman we initially thought she was.

Max had baggage of his own as well. Having been deserted by his father at a very young age he was terrified to let anyone close. Having thought of Carina as a younger sister most of his life, he was confused and fought desperately the feelings she brought out in him. The author does a great job of visualizing the struggle that Max faced while he wrestled and came to terms with his feelings.

In some aspects, it seemed the plot moved a bit too fast and we missed some key elements of how the characters were feeling and what led them in the direction they chose to take. After marrying Max we abruptly learned Carina quit her job and decided to focus on her passion. This was a great move on her part but I couldn’t help but be a bit disappointed that there was not much leading up to this. Where was the interaction with her husband?

Overall, this was a light enjoyable read that I finished in no time at all. This was my first Jennifer Probst novel and it will not be last. If you are looking for a quick, steamy read that has a little bit of depth to the characters then I recommend giving this one a try.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Sarah L. (Feb 2, 2013)

Jennifer Probstprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maby, MadeleineReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Groot, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Carina Conte has had a crush on her brother's best friend since she was a teenager. Having earned an MBA, she is now going to work for her brother Michael at his new venture, America's fastest growing bakery empire. But some things never change: treated as a child by her family, and continuously out-shone by her three gorgeous siblings, Carina still feels like the ugly duckling.

Max, the new CEO knows that his friend's little sister is completely off limits, but lust wins out at a conference they attend together - only to be caught at it by her mother!

The Italian Mama insists on the two of them marrying, leaving a miserable Max and a furious Carina. Her new husband is about to realise that hell hath no fury like a woman transformed…

Carina Conte has had a crush on her brother Michael's best friend, Max Gray, since she was a teenager back home in Italy. Now she's earned her MBA and come to work at Michael's bakery empire. Max knows Carina is strictly off-limits, for the sake of his job and his friendship with Michael. But hot-blooded lust wins out at a conference when the two share a scorching one-night stand-- and are busted by her mother! Forced by old-world Italian tradition into a marriage he's not ready for, Max is miserable and Carina is furious. Her new husband is about to realize that hell hath no fury like a woman transformed...… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible