The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout

The Burgess Boys

by Elizabeth Strout

899None9,790 (3.79)147

English (134)  German (1)  All languages (135)
As a tale of family bonds, no matter how dysfunctional, the book is a fairly good one but there is too much cluttering the text to really get a sense of where the book is headed; very frustrating and eventually a bit predictable. There are some very interesting characters that left you wondering and wanting,(Zach, Abdikarim, Margaret, Mrs. Drinkwater) but others who added little to the plot yet took up so much of the text. (Bob’s ex-wife Pam and Jim’s wife Helen)

It was definitely a disappointment when read on the heels of such a fine work as Olive Kitteredge, my favorite book of all time.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book more! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book more! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
i am still mulling this one. while i liked it, there is something niggling at me about it, which i can't quite put my finger on. i found the story and the characters interesting, but it felt a bit fractured and, by the end, it's feels unresolved. i don't require tidy endings when i read, so that's not generally a problem for me. every now and then, though, i encounter a book that just feels unfinished. and i think that may be what's bothering gem about strout's novel.

i read this as part of my reading through the 2014 women's prize for fiction longlist nominees. this was book #7 for me, from the list. held up against some of the others i have already read...i am not sure i would shortlist this one.

but, since i am still sorting through my feelings about the book...maybe my opinion will change? ( )
  DawsonOakes | Apr 3, 2014 |
This was on a lot of bookcrossing wishlists, so I ordered it from the library. Disappointed. A lot of characters and I'm not sure if the author was going for a relationship book or a story. I thought it was supposed to be about a teen's hate crime, bounced to one Somalian's life in the US, then around the three Burgess children as adults, then throw in one of the spouses and an ex-wife. Very weird ( )
  nancynova | Mar 29, 2014 |

Catalyzed by a nephew's thoughtless prank, a pair of brothers confront painful psychological issues surrounding the freak accident that killed their father when they were boys, a loss linked to a heartbreaking deception that shaped their personal and professional lives.… (more)

21 wanted3 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible