The Burgess Boys: A Novel by Elizabeth…

The Burgess Boys: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Elizabeth Strout

Info:Random House (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Personal Library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:My 2012 Book Challenge

The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout (2013)

Run by Ann Patchett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A dramatic incident provokes adult siblings to explore their lives and relationships in these moving and lyrical novels. While more about family than race, both books include thought-provoking meditations on the complexity of racial relations in 21st century America.… (more)

English (153)  German (1)  All languages (154)
On the whole, I liked it, altho the characters are very dysfunctional people. It kept me wanting to read on, and left me with a feeling of hope for their unhappy lives. ( )
  Rozey | Jun 5, 2015 |
Just couldn't get through this book. ( )
  NHNick | Mar 31, 2015 |
Although I enjoyed Elizabeth Strout's novel "Olive Kitteridge" more than "The Burgess Boys", it is definitely worth a read. This ended up as one of the best fiction selections that my book group has discussed and it is always enjoyable to spend time with this excellent writer. ( )
  KatyBee | Mar 30, 2015 |
I loved the heck out of this book. I assumed it would not measure up to Olive Kitteridge, but for me it did. These characters are so nuanced, and so familiar, and yet surprising at every turn. There was not a single primary character that was not really intriguing. The book is about so many things. The wages of sin is perhaps the central theme, but it is also about family (as a parent and a sibling), about surviving in this modern world with its never-ending onslaught of information, about how to define success and how to live in the world where others define it differently, about racism, and our disdain for the unfamiliar. It is definitely about how we all agree to live with shared delusions. and the consequences of breaking the code and holding those delusions up to the light. It is about life. Just brilliant. ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Feb 1, 2015 |
To my husband

Jim Tierney
My mother and I talked a lot about the Burgess Family. "The Burgess kids," she called them.

Haunted by a freak accident that killed their father when they were children, Jim and Bob Burgess escaped from their Maine hometown of Shirley Falls for New York City as soon as they possible could. Jim, a sleek, successful corporate lawyer, has belittled his bighearted brother their whole lives, and Bob, a legal aid attorney who idolises Jim, has always taken it in his stride.

But their long-standing dynamic is upended when their sister, Susan - the sibling who stayed behind - urgently calls them home. Her lonely teenage son, Zach, has landed himself into a world of trouble, and Susan desperately needs their help. And so the Burgess brothers return to the landscape of their childhood, where the long-buried tensions that have shaped and shadowed their relationship begin to surface in unexpected ways that will change them forever.

Catalyzed by a nephew's thoughtless prank, a pair of brothers confront painful psychological issues surrounding the freak accident that killed their father when they were boys, a loss linked to a heartbreaking deception that shaped their personal and professional lives.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,481,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible