The Kate Jones Thriller Series Vol. 1 (Boxed…

The Kate Jones Thriller Series Vol. 1 (Boxed Set) (edition 2012)

by D.V. Berkom

821,035,133 (3.5)None
Member:BookDivasReads
Title:The Kate Jones Thriller Series Vol. 1 (Boxed Set)
Authors:D.V. Berkom
Info:
Rating:**

The Kate Jones Thriller Series, Books 1-4 by D. V. Berkom

A compilation of 4 novellas, each containing about 80 pages, this is one sure-fire thrill ride as we follow Kate through a series of misadventures and close-call escapes. I haven’t, even after 4 novellas, decided if Kate is exceptionally lucky, clever or just cursed with an impulsive nature and a really bad sense of potential danger. But, to be honest, if each of the upcoming adventures are as well conceived and written as the four contained in this volume: I don’t care.

The author has created a main character that is easy to both understand and appreciate, with humor, grace and the ability to think on her feet, with a take no prisoners attitude that is very clearly based in her struggles for independence and survival. Each adventure is fast-paced and tightly written, the situations are entirely plausible and all too possible, crafted to create a tension in the reader that mirrors the pace of the action and the increased danger levels.

This is a compilation that you will breeze through, turning page after page to reach the end – with the full impact of each story arriving after you are entangled in the next. These are delightfully sized and instantly engaging stories, perfect for a quick escape into another world, or a slightly longer one as you devour each of the four stories, unable to put the book down. I look forward to Kate’s next adventures – I only hope they are available soon!

I received an eBook copy from author for purpose of honest review for Full Moon Bites tours. I was not compensated for this review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
To say that Kate Jones is a magnet for trouble is a bit of an understatement. In Bad Spirits, Kate has traveled to Mexico on vacation, quickly became involved with a local man only to later find out he's a drug lord. Three years later she compounds her mistake by stealing his money only to find out it wasn't his money but a payment to another drug lord. Bad enough she's attempting to escape from a man that refused to allow her to leave, but she's also being tracked by two drug lords and their compatriots. Fortunately Kate runs into the DEA and is able to escape from Mexico only after agreeing to testify. But Kate knows that even though Salazar and Anaya are in prison her life is still in danger so she runs to Alaska.

Kate witnesses a murder in the wilds of Alaska in Dead of Winter and also realizes she's been found by either Salazar or Anaya as the murderers were speaking using a Mexican dialect. Kate isn't quick to trust the police but she knows she has to report the crime to local authorities. Her report leads to a local deputy, Sam, as a bodyguard. Just when Kate feels she might be able to escape from Alaska, she finds herself in a situation where she must fight not only for her life but for Sam's as well.

Kate jumps from the frying pan into the fire when she lands in Hawaii in Death Rites. She quickly becomes embroiled in local thefts and murder when a friend is found badly injured after a burglary. Kate knows this doesn't have anything to do with Mexican drug lords but she quickly finds herself dealing with another set of crazies and their beliefs in ancient prophesies.

Fast forward a few years and Kate's past has come calling in Touring for Death. Kate is now living and working in Arizona as a tour guide and several of the tourists in one of her tours have been found dead and/or missing. She knows this can't be a coincidence since this happens shortly after her tour vehicle crashes and is found to have been sabotaged.

Kate Jones exemplifies how one or two mistakes in our past can haunt us for the rest of our lives. Kate's first mistake was getting involved with a man she knew nothing about and this was compounded by her belief that she could steal from him and get on with her life. Although the scenarios with the drug cartels were believable, I found some of the other scenarios a bit farfetched, especially those in Hawaii. Even though I had difficulties with some of the scenarios, I was quickly intrigued by Kate's life and wondered if she'd ever gain her freedom from the cartels. The Kate Jones Thriller Set is a quick read that provides murder, mayhem, and lots of suspense and thrills. Kate Jones doesn't start off as a likeable character but I found myself quickly rooting for her as she jumped from mishap to mishap. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Dec 3, 2012 |

Like action? Adventure? Then you'll love Kate Jones! This box set contains the first four novellas in the bestselling Kate Jones Thriller Series.

D. V. Berkom is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,325,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible