House of Earth by Woody Guthrie

House of Earth

by Woody Guthrie

Other authors: Douglas Brinkley (Editor and introduction), Johnny Depp (Editor and introduction)

Full of life, sex, humour, politics, nonsense language and Jesus as a socialist. Great female characters. I loved this.

Great way to celebrate Woody's birthdday, reading this. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Others have called the "poetic" and "lyrical" and a large portion filled with sex -- and all that is true. I think it's also...not meant to entertain. I can't say it's boring (it's not); but this book is not a beach read or a "weekend in the hammock" read. Like some have said, I got the feeling I was reading Steinbeck while reading this. Also, it's important to read the introduction. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |
This was written by Woody Guthrie, the folk singer. The book's language is beautiful and the story simple. I am always leery of books which have long introductions explaining the forthcoming story. If it needs that, there is an issue with the book. I plot he'd through only a portion of the introduction.
The novel's primary attraction is its author, and that is unfortunate. ( )
  Amusedbythis | Sep 16, 2014 |
Had this book in hand, but hadn't started it until returning from a roadtrip through some of the country where it is set. And the land, the elements and how they affect its inhabitants is much of the premise. The travel & the book were well timed to intertwine my understandings.
Interesting backstory to this book, discovered only recently.
Interesting introduction making me aware of more of the background, info on Woody, his writing, the area this was written about.
However, I think his music & song lyrics are more enjoyable to me. Listened to iTunes in the background at times.
Book is one that gave me insights, but was bit difficult to read. Some of it is like stream of consciousness from a hyperactive playing word games.
However, some of that word association sing-songy style gave a overall feeling of immersion in an event or thought pattern. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
I must admit to not knowing much about Woody Guthrie beyond the folk songs he sang and of course, "This Land is Your Land." I suspect though that the synopsis of this book would have intrigued me no matter the author. Sadly, I think the only reason this book was published is BECAUSE it was written by Woody Guthrie.

It is ostensibly a story about a man wanting a better life for his family. He thinks that building an adobe house is the answer because it will stand up the the ravages of the weather. It ends up being a four section, slow moving chronicle that mentions adobe houses at the most absurd times. The first chapter has a somewhat graphic and at the same time exceptionally boring sex scene and in the middle of it adobe houses are discussed. They are discussed in the middle of labor. They are discussed ad nasueum. I get it - he wants an adobe house. Enough already.

I just didn't enjoy the book. I didn't enjoy the characters, I didn't enjoy what little plot there was and I'm pretty sure I don't want an adobe house. It's a shame because the foundation for a great book was somewhere in there, the clay to make the bricks just didn't solidify into anything usable. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Nov 7, 2013 |

Woody Guthrieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brinkley, DouglasEditor and introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Depp, JohnnyEditor and introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlson-Stanisic, LeahDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guthrie, WoodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, JarrodCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I ain't seen my family in twenty years
That ain't easy to understand
They may be dead by now
I lost track of them after they lost their land

--Bob Dylan, "Long and Wasted Years"
And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:

And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

--Matthew 5:1-5 (King James Version)
To Nora Guthrie and Tiffany Colannino and Guy Logsdon
The wind of the upper flat plains sung a high lonesome song down across the blades of the dry iron grass.

"Tike and Ella May Hamlin struggle to plant roots in the arid land of the Texas Panhandle. The husband and wife live in a precarious wooden farm shack, but Tike yearns for a sturdy house that will protect them from the treacherous elements. Thanks to a five-cent government pamphlet, Tike has the know-how to build a simple adobe dwelling, a structure made from the land itself-fireproof, windproof, Dust Bowl-proof. A house of earth. Though they are one with the farm and with each other, the land on which Tike and Ella May live and work is not theirs. Due to larger forces beyond their control-including ranching conglomerates and banks-their adobe house remains painfully out of reach."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,259,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible