The Edge of the Earth by Christina Schwarz

The Edge of the Earth

by Christina Schwarz

Trudy is very smart and has a bright future ahead of her. Her family can almost hear the wedding bells ringing for Trudy. There is just one problem. They did not expect Trudy to fall for a guy like Oskar.

Trudy and Oskar move away and accept a job at a lighthouse. Trudy becomes a teacher to the Crawley children. The other family that lives at the lighthouse. Whereas Oskar is fascinated by his inventions and electricity. Oskar finds a cave and a mysterious woman living in it. He finds her intriguing.

I enjoyed the book, but think it should have had a quicker pace, and feel it took much too long for Trudy to see her husband for what he was. It didn't feel true to the character. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A tepid 3★

The summary of this tale was enticing.
Sadly, I experienced little of this reviewer's enthusiasm.
I'm waiting for other friends to read this and share their comments ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 2, 2016 |
I have just finished this wonderful book. It grabbed me from the first and I had read it when ever I had a free moment. The story continues to unfold and engross you till you can't stop reading because you can't wait to see where Christina is going to take you next. You think you know but Oh no you don't. I enjoyed everything about this book! I especially loved the way she brought the entire story together at the end. A very satisfying read! ( )
  theeccentriclady | Feb 18, 2015 |
I thought this book was well written. It involved an interesting cast of characters placed in a remote area and how they managed their lives living and tending to a light house. I loved the main character Trudy and her ability to adjust and cope with so many things that occur in her life. There was some mystery but mostly it was the story of how things that have been buried or hidden in people's lives can eventually completely unravel. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Sep 20, 2014 |
This is an excerpt from a longer response to novel which appears on BuriedInPrint.

A lighthouse is a beacon of safety; it guides the way to harbour for those who are lost or struggling. The lighthouse on Point Lucia, however, affords Trudy the opportunity to enter a wilderness.

From my girlhood days of watching the Disney film "Pete's Dragon", I have found the idea of life in a lighthouse fascinating, and it holds an appeal for many others as well.

In M.L. Steadman's The Light Between Oceans, Tom and Isabel live in a lighthouse off the west coast of Australia.

In Margaret Elphinstone's Light, a lighthouse is built off the Isle of Man in 1831.

Part of Sena Jeter Naslund's Ahab's Wife also unfolds in a lighthouse.

And, most recently, Hilary Scharper's Perdita, set on Georgian Bay imagines something like this.

(There is no lighthouse in Karin Altenberg's Island of Wings, but there are many other similarities, despite the lack of lenses.)

Even if readers are not inherently drawn to novels about lighthouses, The Edge of the Earth is an engaging tale of discovery.

Christina Schwarz has a reputation for writing textured and suspenseful novels and her latest satisfies those expectations.
  buriedinprint | Jan 23, 2014 |
For Ben and Nicky and in memory of Margaret Meyer, who walked on her own feet, and Scout
I'm not going to let on I was born here.

"In 1898, a woman forsakes the comfort of home and family for a love that takes her to a remote lighthouse on the wild coast of California. What she finds at the edge of the earth, hidden between the sea and the fog, will change her life irrevocably"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,892,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible