The Riptide Ultra-Glide by Tim Dorsey

The Riptide Ultra-Glide (2013)

by Tim Dorsey

Serge Storms wants to create a reality television series. Set in Florida of course – I’m not sure of the theme. Other than madness, murder and crime that is. He gets mixed up in a South Florida pill-mill war and rescues a Wisconsin couple, the McDougalls, that has been having extraordinarily bad luck since arriving for a vacation.

Serge’s constant companion, Coleman, has become a doper celebrity and now offers wisdom and autographs everywhere they go. Serge continues to murder the deserving in ingenious ways.

The plot is convoluted and entertaining and the humor is twisted – as always. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jun 18, 2014 |
Another fun ride through Florida with psychopath and serial killer Serge A. Storm and his stoner sidekick Coleman. ( )
  Liz_57 | Jul 26, 2013 |
Fast-paced, great story lines, Serge and Coleman are fantastic!! Like a Seinfeld episode with mayhem!! ( )
  andsoitgoes | Mar 12, 2013 |
I had just about given up on Tim Dorsey, since his last couple of books seemed to be written by rote. Riptide Ultra-Glide has turned by opinion around with Dorsey seeming to be back on track. This is a tightly written book with lots of comical moments (of course) and an ending that I didn't see coming. I came into this book with an attitude of "oh well, I might as well read it" and came out with an attitude of "when is the next Serge adventure going to be published". ( )
  bjkelley | Feb 7, 2013 |
If you have read any of Tim Dorsey's previous books then you know what to expect. This book is more of the same. I'm not knocking it, not really. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It made me laugh and smile. The story involves Serge and Coleman racing around Florida filming a pilot for a reality show. I think they are also working on their ongoing tour business. There are a couple of sub plots involving drug dealers, quack doctors,despicable lawyers and a happy couple from Wisconsin on a vacation from hell. I always enjoy Tim Dorsey's sense of humor and laugh at of the insane things he makes Serge do to people that deserve it. I also enjoy the books to see what bars, hotels and destinations in Florida that Serge visits. The books are like a crazy trip to Florida and I enjoy taking the trip every January with a new book. ( )
  jeff1124 | Feb 4, 2013 |
It would be a bitter cosmic joke if we destroy oursevles dut to atrophy of the imagination.
--MARTHA GELLHORN
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
--STEVEN WRIGHT
For Dave York
Florida
The hookers were slap-fighting a Hare Krishna up at the intersection when the bullets came through the windshield.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062092782, Hardcover)

Welcome to Paradise!

Freshly laid-off Wisconsinites Patrick and Barbara McDougall are going to sunny Florida for a modest romantic vacation. But the motel they picked isn't quite a pastel paradise, and they have to be midwesterners and make the best of a bad situation. Except bad goes to worse, and a string of misfortunes renders them unable to leave the state.

Meanwhile, the next Mexican-American War is being fought, this time in Fort Lauderdale, between the Kentucky mafia and the Oxy cartel over control of the lucrative pain clinic market. Latinos are turning up dead, hillbillies are wandering the beach trampling sand castles, and cops continue arresting doctors wriggling out of office windows.

But it's never really a party until Serge and Coleman arrive. Cruising down U.S. 1, Captain Florida and his perpetually altered sidekick are on a mission to film the best reality show ever!

Back at their motel, the McDougalls are peeking out the curtains. They've become very popular, especially with Serge, who believes he's found the perfect stars for the pilot of his new TV series.

Are the McDougalls safer with Serge or should they take their chances on the mean streets?

Will Coleman get tired of signing autographs?

Can pelicans be used as murder weapons?

Is time running out for our heroes?

And, finally, the question still on everyone's lips: What's up with Florida? Stay tuned for all the answers in . . . The Riptide Ultra-Glide!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:58 -0400)

While treating themselves to a modest vacation in sunny Florida, newly unemployed Wisconsinites Patrick and Barbara McDougal get the ride of a lifetime when they, after being robbed of everything, are rescued by bighearted psychopath and happy tour guide Serge Storms.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,739,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible