Poor Percival Stories (Tale 1): How Percival…

Poor Percival Stories (Tale 1): How Percival Come to the Village (edition 2012)

by Matthew Milson

19None533,508 (3.75)None
Member:MarniGreatrex
Title:Poor Percival Stories (Tale 1): How Percival Come to the Village
Authors:Matthew Milson
Info:
Collections:Member give away, Your library
Tags:first-reads

Poor Percival Stories (Tale 2): How Percival Repaid the Pumpkin Child's Favor by Matthew Milson

These stories of Percival and all of his adventures are hilarious! I can't wait to read the rest of the stories in subsequent volumes. I especially enjoyed the "country" dialect, as I'm from the country myself and can almost hear the words being spoken. A job well done! ( )
  sealford | May 20, 2013 |
Short story about Poor Percival, who lives through all sorts of adventures.
A nice read, I really like the way Percival tumbles from one threatening situation into the next and yet always manages to get out. Reads very much like a folk tale or fairy tale.
One thing I didn't like was the fact that it was written in a dialect; to me it didn't feel very natural and it made the story less enjoyable. I can see the purpose of writing some texts in dialect, but in this case I didn't feel like it improved the story. ( )
  Britt84 | Apr 26, 2013 |
These stories can be enjoyed by both children and adults. It just took me a while to get used to the narrator. I always write in dialect from time to time so I was surprised when I struggled to read parts of this book. Not all the sentences flowed well. But I loved the folksy feel. I could visualize an old man narrating this book. I would love to hear an audio version. ( )
  HaleyWhitehall | Dec 8, 2012 |
Charming and fast paced. I'm looking forward to more Percival stories! ( )
  Vivapdx | Dec 2, 2012 |
I generally don't like stories told in a dialect, as it can come off as too folksy or distract from the narrative. Yet the voice used in this collection of charming, original folk tales works quite well. The stories were short enough that I could imagine them being read to a child before bed, but rich enough to be engaging for an adult reader. Milson creates a familiar, yet unique world for Percival. There's a haunted wood that most children should be able to easily identify with, complete with witches, trolls and wild wolves, but there's hints at a larger story and slight twists on the expected tropes which make this book stand out. ( )
  skyekat | Nov 28, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible