Miss Mousie's Blind Date by Tim Beiser

Miss Mousie's Blind Date (edition 2012)

by Tim Beiser, Rachel Berman (Illustrator)

Member:slaughterhouse5
Title:Miss Mousie's Blind Date
Authors:Tim Beiser
Other authors:Rachel Berman (Illustrator)
Info:Tundra Books (2012), Hardcover, 24 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:blind date, body image, picture book, elementary

Miss Mousie's Blind Date by Tim Beiser

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure I would like this book, based on it's title; it seems sort of an odd title for little kids. The children, aged 3,4,and5, really like this book. It took several readings for them to begin to understand it, but that's often a great thing with children's books. It means the story is interesting and layered enough that they get more each time they read it, and we know children like to hear good books time after time. ( )
  uribookworms | Feb 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Miss Mousie's Blind Date is a cute rhyming story for the young that addresses self-confidence. Miss Mousie has her feelings hurt when one that she finds to be so handsome, thinks very little of her. She thinks so little of her own appearance, that when asked on a blind date, she goes to great lengths to disguise herself before the meeting to hide her imperfections. In the end Miss Mousie learns that she is perfect the way she is and that all of her shenanigans to look pretty, were just silly.

I shared the story with my 4-year-old daughter who quickly became enthralled with the illustrations. I'm sure she didn't catch on to the premise of the story at here age, but I know she was delighted by the rhyming text anyway.

I think this book would be a wonderful read aloud for any young child who may be questioning their appearance. ( )
  HomeSchoolTweet | Jan 23, 2013 |
This was such a cute story. We have all struggled at one point or another with our insecurities. This story could be applied to both young and old. We can all learn a lesson from Miss Mousie and Mr. Mole rat. Being yourself and accepting yourself is always best. The detail in the illustrations in this story keeps you going back to look at the pictures once again after you've finished reading the story. Good read and message.
  winterfell12 | Jan 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an incredibly sweet natured book. It shows that putting on a deliberately false impression not only means a lots of work, but it is also pointless as it can stand in the way of positive relationships. As the book points out, these false impressions often arise out of insecurity and a desire to protect ourselves from hurt. Through the character of Miss Mousie, the reader sees that honesty and kindness leads towards more supportive relationships and that, all together, self-confidence grows. This is a worthwhile book for kids dealing with self-doubt and nasty comments.
  marnocat | Jan 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I absolutely loved this book. Amused from the start, I read it aloud to my adult family, and then at a happy hour to my fellow-librarian friends. This culminated in yet *another* reading of the book at a librarian brunch, this time by someone else. Suffice it to say, I found it immensely charming and endearing. It may go over the heads of children to an extent, but that's part of the reason I enjoyed it. A few of my friends also had criticisms about the fact that Miss Mousie is called fat and suggested that she is settling when the Mole deli owner clumsily asks for her hand. I disagree! As I said to the friends who objected, this book is all about meeting someone who thinks you're wonderful and beautiful even when you don't understand why. Someone who will compliment your imaginary hat, and try to impress you even if it means they end up accidentally stepping on your foot.

Two thumbs up! ( )
2 vote orangewords | Dec 12, 2012 |

A charming story about self-acceptance, and love lost and found, told through the eyes of a dear little mouse, and her possibly-not-so-handsome suitor, Mole.

Tim Beiser is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Mousie's Blind Date by Tim Beiser was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,360,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible