Miss Mousie's Blind Date by Tim Beiser

Miss Mousie's Blind Date (edition 2012)

by Tim Beiser, Rachel Berman (Illustrator)

Member:sara1022
Title:Miss Mousie's Blind Date
Authors:Tim Beiser
Other authors:Rachel Berman (Illustrator)
Info:Tundra Books (2012), Hardcover, 24 pages
Rating:***1/2

Miss Mousie's Blind Date by Tim Beiser

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure I would like this book, based on it's title; it seems sort of an odd title for little kids. The children, aged 3,4,and5, really like this book. It took several readings for them to begin to understand it, but that's often a great thing with children's books. It means the story is interesting and layered enough that they get more each time they read it, and we know children like to hear good books time after time. ( )
  uribookworms | Feb 11, 2013 |
This was such a cute story. We have all struggled at one point or another with our insecurities. This story could be applied to both young and old. We can all learn a lesson from Miss Mousie and Mr. Mole rat. Being yourself and accepting yourself is always best. The detail in the illustrations in this story keeps you going back to look at the pictures once again after you've finished reading the story. Good read and message.
  winterfell12 | Jan 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an incredibly sweet natured book. It shows that putting on a deliberately false impression not only means a lots of work, but it is also pointless as it can stand in the way of positive relationships. As the book points out, these false impressions often arise out of insecurity and a desire to protect ourselves from hurt. Through the character of Miss Mousie, the reader sees that honesty and kindness leads towards more supportive relationships and that, all together, self-confidence grows. This is a worthwhile book for kids dealing with self-doubt and nasty comments.
  marnocat | Jan 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I absolutely loved this book. Amused from the start, I read it aloud to my adult family, and then at a happy hour to my fellow-librarian friends. This culminated in yet *another* reading of the book at a librarian brunch, this time by someone else. Suffice it to say, I found it immensely charming and endearing. It may go over the heads of children to an extent, but that's part of the reason I enjoyed it. A few of my friends also had criticisms about the fact that Miss Mousie is called fat and suggested that she is settling when the Mole deli owner clumsily asks for her hand. I disagree! As I said to the friends who objected, this book is all about meeting someone who thinks you're wonderful and beautiful even when you don't understand why. Someone who will compliment your imaginary hat, and try to impress you even if it means they end up accidentally stepping on your foot.

Two thumbs up! ( )
2 vote orangewords | Dec 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book via Early Reviewers. This book is a cute book that features rhymes to keep the audience engaged. I agree that younger students would love it, however, older students may read too much into Miss Mousie being called fat and the only one that loves her ends up being blind. I feel that is too much of a gender stereotype for older kids that are going through the awkward stages of life. ( )
  sara1022 | Dec 10, 2012 |

A charming story about self-acceptance, and love lost and found, told through the eyes of a dear little mouse, and her possibly-not-so-handsome suitor, Mole.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tim Beiser's book Miss Mousie's Blind Date was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tim Beiser is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible