A Bat in the Belfry by Sarah Graves

Very tedious reading. Slow on the action and the characters are mediocre at best. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Aug 1, 2016 |
19. Reading Woman:

The honest truth: I Ab-so-lute-ly Hated this book:

I didn't like the writing, I didn't like the characters, I didn't like what they were really thinking, I didn't like the story, I didn't like the subject of Snuff sites, nor did I like the violence.

One would like to think that a "Home Repair" mystery would be less violent and more entertaining. I'll read Cornwell, Reichs, Woods, et. al. if violence is what I want to experience.

The reason I stopped reading this series was because of the violence.... which is a shame the home repair parts are interesting and her family interactions are good too.

Wasted time, lowered average rating score. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
A young girl, raised by an alcoholic father, with dreams of a modeling career in Manhattan, is found murdered in the top of an old bell tower. Add star crossed lovers and a nor'easter, and suspense builds. ( )
  cfk | Jun 13, 2013 |
I've long been a fan of Sarah Graves "Home Repair is Homicide" series, starting from the time I was renovating my own house and often found the "repair tips" chapter headings very useful. It seemed like a long wait for the latest installment and of course it was worth it. Another death occurs in tiny, remote Eastport, Maine, where there always seems to be an inordinate amount of hostility and malevolence. This time the victim is a 14-year-old with a miserable home life who accepts a dare to flash a light from the top of a church steeple to earn money and strike out on her own. The murder takes place just hours before a major Nor'easter strikes the town, undoing much of "Jake" Tiptree's careful home repairs and damaging many other buildings including that very same unstable steeple. Former Boston police officer Lizzie Snow, making a guiltily belated attempt to find her dead sister's long-lost niece, becomes the object of rather unprofessional conduct on the part of one of Chief Bob Arnold's deputies while asking perplexing questions that make Sam Tiptree's childhood friend Chip a prime suspect. And this in turn heightens Sam's role in solving the mystery. Having grown out of his struggling adolescent years, tho still realistically managing his recovery, Sam is the primary sleuth in this 16th episode and thus also the character "most likely to be endangered." The very timely issue of bullying - in ways both subtle and blatant - grounds the latest Tiptree outing more realistically than usual.
This not-quite-cozy sustains the series' quality, altho repair tips are beginning to be a bit thin. There are also a couple of spots where Graves uses police jargon followed by a condescending translation. But there is little of the ruminative review of clues that often mars a long-running series. Sam's larger role will add new freshness (boat repairs, anyone?) which Graves assures us she plans to continue. Although "Bat in the Belfry" can easily stand alone, having few references to Jake's earlier years in Eastport, it's enriched by knowledge of that backstory. And I always like to begin at the beginning. ( )
  amac121212 | May 13, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book, even though it was a bit of a slow, dragging story. Every time I thought about putting it away, something would happen to renew my interest and I eventually got through it. Mostly predictable and full of stereotypical characters. ( )
  sjthszn | May 7, 2013 |

When a local teen beauty-pageant winner from a troubled family is found murdered in the beloved 200-year-old Seaman's Church steeple, Jacobia Tiptree, while preparing for an epic nor-nor'easter, must wade through the rising waters of gossip and suspicion to find the truth.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible