Cue Cards for Life: Thoughtful Tips for…

Cue Cards for Life: Thoughtful Tips for Better Relationships (edition 2013)

by Christina Steinorth

Member:Elpaca
Title:Cue Cards for Life: Thoughtful Tips for Better Relationships
Authors:Christina Steinorth
Info:Hunter House (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 168 pages
Rating:***

Cue Cards for Life by Christina Steinorth

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mostly common sense material if one was not raised by gorillas. Definitely aimed at the white, suburban, middle/upper-class socialite-wanna-be, quasi-professional "home-maker female. A blatant generalization: I do not envision men, working class or people of non-white ethnic heritage giving two-hoots about this book. Best chapter: taking care of aging parents. Had some helpful advise and it was clear that Steinworth's specialty was in this area. Worst chapter: "How to be a Corporate Drone" (not really the title, but should have been). Anyone following Steinorth's "advice" in a work-place environment will soon find themselves the butt of "goodie-two-shoes" derision and ostracism.

I'm thinking about placing this book in our school's library (I am the librarian), since, perhaps, teens--possibly raised by gorillas--might benefit from the strange concept that social etiquette can matter. ( )
  Ellesee | Feb 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This started out inoffensively enough--the "cue cards" conceit is a bit meaningless (they're headings in a book, not actual cards), but it was all "remember to be kind" and "talk to your teen like an equal" and maybe intermittently good reminders of the kind of obvious things that we still forget to do that Steinorth must see a lot of in her practice as a family counsellor. (There is a weird cranky "maybe THIS'll sort all you people out" undertone that is offputting, and while I don't want to criticize Steinorth's appearance, she looks like a weird debutante on the back cover, and she seems horrified by the idea of taking public transit. Why are so many counsellors this same type of kind, slightly overwhelming woman from upper-middle-class backgrounds who think all the world's problems can be solved with a little meddling, he generalized wildly). But then it gets into "cue cards for work" (I guess she felt the book needed padding) and it's all "your employer doesn't pay you to laze about. They pay you to increase your productivity and represent the company in business casual attire! End your maladaptive behaviours posthaste!!" It's a conservative and smarmily apolitical vision of the counsellor's role and I go feh. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Feb 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This self-help book contains information on a variety of relationships including lovers, family, friends, and coworkers. The "cue cards" mentioned in the title are actually just section headings. I think it would have been a bit more interesting to format them as actual cards that could be removed and used, but that's a pretty superficial complaint.

The information here is basic, but Steinorth's tips do serve as good reminders for proper etiquette and the consideration of others in our everyday interactions. Despite my complaint on format above, the lay out does make it easy to skip through sections that don't apply and quickly pick up info from those that do.

The book, however, lacks step-by-step action plans for putting these "cue cards" into use. In the section on "Friendships, Parties, and Social Events," for example, one cue card reads "Learn to make small talk." But aside from "read the news, read books, watch television" Steinorth does little to teach the reader how to actually make small talk (And this piece of advice contradicts her earlier instructions to avoid politics or religion. Conversations gleaned from the news are sure to veer into politics and/or religion.) One exception to this observation is Steinorth's chapter on apologizing. In this section she does, indeed, lay out specific instructions for issuing sincere apologies. ( )
  llamagirl | Jan 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a set of supposedly 'common sense' reminders for interaction with those around you - but when we are feeling threatened or vulnerable, it's easy to forget the basics! Steinorth's suggestions, while simple, definitely pave the road for better relationships - with family, friends, or coworkers. I am disappointed that the writing assumed heterosexual relationships and I feel that there were some stereotypical assumptions about gender roles that informed the advice. ( )
  ladyrae | Nov 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overly simplistic and lacking in any eye opening advice. I was expecting a bit more that statements that most people already know and accept. More like reminder cards rather than cue cards. I think this is one book which I will not be keeping in my collection. ( )
  goth_marionette | Oct 29, 2013 |

With almost 7 billion people on the planet, we're bound to run into communication problems sometime. And though we know healthy relationships and a sense of community are essential for a healthy, happy, and successful life, some of us are not equipped or quite prepared to deal with the situations and the life transitions we sometimes face. Cue Cards for Life is a handy, intuitive "how to" guide that can be easily applied in real life situations.

In her private practice as a psychotherapist, Christina Steinorth noticed that many of her patients came in with the same communication problems. Couples would neglect their love relationships, parents would talk at their teens instead of talking to them, and adults found few guidelines for interacting well with their aging parents. In fact, most people seemed to put more thought into deciding what to have for dinner than they did in choosing what they said and how they behaved in important situations. As a result, something seemed to go wrong -- but they were unsure of exactly what. Steinorth made Cue Cards for her patients to help them with these recurring problems.

Cue Cards are deceptively simple reminders and remedies that anyone can use to immediately improve just about any relationship. Each card is accompanied by a clear and encouraging explanation of the psychological principles that make the cue card work. These straightforward tips are so practical and down-to-earth that anyone can use them to communicate effectively with others, minimize conflict, and handle life transitions with greater ease.

The book starts with an overview of communication basics, such as the importance of listening and eye contact, boundaries and personal space, and nonverbal communication (body language). Steinorth then offers prompts that highlight what to say and do in a variety of situations. The book includes Cue Cards for improving communication/relationships in the areas of love, parent/teen interaction, caring for aging parents, getting along with in-laws and in the workplace. There are also Cue Cards for weddings, parties and major social events.

The book can be read cover to cover or readers can easily flip to sections relevant to their needs. The  "Cue Cards" can also be used daily as an overall commitment to improved relationships in one's life, or to creatively foster more harmonious relationships in a group or between individuals. Each card reminds the reader about some interpersonal basic, such as taking responsibility, earning respect, being honest, asking for help, being kind, being a good role model - even grooming!

Cue Cards for Life can help people improve their daily interactions. Most of us underestimate the power common courtesy and kindness have to improve all relationships, and all of us encounter situations in life where we stumble a little. Sometimes we need a gentle reminder -- a cue card, a clue card -- to steer us back in the right direction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:40 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cue Cards for Life: Thoughtful Tips for Better Relationships by Christina Steinorth was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,553,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible