Schott's Almanac 2007 by Ben Schott

Schott's Almanac 2007

by Ben Schott

This is one of my 2011 bathroom readers. One page a day should get me through it by the end of the year. Reading both 07 and 08 simultaneously is like a bad dream through the news cycle of yesteryear. They are both helping me remember some major world events that I have forgotten or I only heard in passing. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Apr 2, 2011 |
Yes, the print is small, really small. I am not quite sure what I am going to do with this book, but could not resist it. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jun 14, 2010 |
Die längst überfällige Wiederbelebung des Almanachs durch Ben Schott. Wunderbares Buch. ( )
  Doktor_Stein | May 5, 2009 |
Books I haven't read, have received as gifts at Christmas, highly dscounted, and don't intend to read:
Schott's almanac 2006; Schott's almanac 2007
  jon1lambert | Sep 5, 2008 |
Ben Schott, best known until now for his three "miscellanies" (Original; Food & Drink; Sporting, Gaming & Idling) has gotten into the almanac game; the 2007 edition was released this fall by Bloomsbury. Like the earlier volumes, this is a collection of entertaining and useful facts, organized by broad topics for easy browsing. Not really the sort of book to sit down and read in sequence, but perfect for dipping into now and then as the mood strikes you.

Like more "traditional" almanacs, Schott's includes some information pertinent to the year covered, including various awards presented, crime, election and other statistics, and the obligatory ephemerides. There are useful summaries of news stories and scientific studies, some handy glossaries, &c. &c. I particularly enjoyed the presidential comparison chart (p. 292-3), the book recommendations (p. 166) and the whole Books & Arts section (p. 159-180).

With occasional illustrations very reminiscent of those in the Wall Street Journal and a very nice design overall (even if the text does seem a little too small at times), this almanac is definitely worth a perusal, and I'll look forward to the 2008 edition with anticipation.

http://philobiblos.blogspot.com/2006/12/book-review-schotts-almanac-2007.html ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 16, 2006 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible