Questions of Travel: A Novel by Michelle de…

Questions of Travel: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Michelle de Kretser

2102155,654 (3.67)1 / 44
Member:jll1976
Title:Questions of Travel: A Novel
Authors:Michelle de Kretser
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2013), Hardcover, 512 pages
Collections:Read It, Your library
Tags:Finished, Australian Author, Miles Franklin

Questions of Travel by Michelle de Kretser (2012)

A bold, clever and multi-faceted novel that is very difficult to summarise. It interleaves the stories of two main characters - Laura, an Australian who spends the first half of the book travelling and living in Europe and the second back in Sydney working for a company that makes travel guides, and Ravi, who leaves Sri Lanka and seeks asylum in Australia after his wife, a human rights campaigner and his son are murdered, ending up in Sydney working for the same company as Laura. These protagonists are largely passive ciphers, pegs to hang ideas and observations on. The ideas are about national identity, why people travel, how it changes them (or doesn't), how the travel industry works, how the internet changed perceptions and much much more. There are also richly observed details on many different places, and the writing flows easily and is never difficult to read. At just over 500 pages, it could possibly have been edited a little, but that is my only real criticism. For me de Kretser's best book yet. ( )
  bodachliath | Aug 10, 2016 |
Did Not Finish. I cannot read any more of this book. I so wanted to enjoy it, but after a third of the way into it I still detest Laura and quite frankly don't know what the author is going on about half the time. Very disappointed as I love literary fiction and travel, but can't face the great amount of hours required to get through this.
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I started this book quite some time ago, but I keep putting it aside. The characters just have not piqued my interest enough to want to continue. I have so many other books on my reading list. ( )
  PriscillaM | Nov 13, 2015 |
Not surprised that people have found this book tough. The language is fine but you may not get all the references and sometimes there are streams of consciousness that are beautifully poetic but perhaps not driving the story forward. Overall though a nourishing read ( )
  polarbear123 | Apr 26, 2015 |
This highly acclaimed and awarded novel did little to inspire our group. The mingling of Laura and Ravi’s stories tended to confuse rather than bind, and most of us found ourselves lost in the language rather than thriving in it. Not the reaction we generally look for in a novel.

Therefore, our discussion centred mostly around travel verses tourism, as this was the only real theme we could identify with. In doing so, we shared some wonderful travel stories and chatted about the pros and cons of travelling, where it took us and what we gained from it. Most of us have travelled moderate to extensively, so it was a lively discussion.

This was all very interesting, but what were de Kretser’s questions of travel … in other words, what was she trying to say to us in this novel? Cheryle struggled big time with this book and even tackled it by reading all of Ravi’s story first, then going back and reading Laura’s. Not with any great success, but at least she gave it an honest shot!

In the end we came to the conclusion that literary fiction may not be our ideal read … but as a book club we are always up to the challenge. ( )
  DaptoLibrary | Dec 18, 2014 |
This dichotomy – of tourism in troubled places – is at the core of Questions of Travel. Its Australian author Michelle de Kretser, who was born in Sri Lanka, takes us quite happily to Heritage or Thrills, anywhere in the world – to ‘St Petersburg, Jaipur, Ljubljana. Hill trekking in Thailand, a weekend in an abbey on the Isle of Wight’ – but along the way shows us an extra thing or two. Like a taxi-ride that keeps pace with an open-sided truck in Singapore, which is ‘transporting guest workers to and from a building site … One of the dark-skinned men … asleep on a pile of bricks.’

Applied to de Kretser’s work, ‘along the way’ is no idle phrase. A novel about the politics and philosophy of travel, Questions of Travel is also a highly digressive text which, in its waywardness, discards a causal chain of events; it insists on its ‘right to interrupt the narration’ and to challenge ‘the despotism of “Story”’ (as Milan Kundera put it). It is a playful, performative, unsettled and often extremely unsettling narrative, which charts its own fantastic-realistic course. There are many departures from the main line, each detour creating suspense about where we are being taken and how to describe this labyrinth of pathways.

IN MEMORY OF LEAH AKIE
WHEN LAURA WAS TWO, THE twins decided to kill her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316219223, Hardcover)

Laura Fraser grows up in Sydney, motherless, with a cold father and an artistic bent. Ravi Mendes is on the other side of the world--his humble father dead, his mother struggling, determined to succeed in computer science. Their stories alternate throughout Michelle de Kretser's ravishing new novel, culminating in unlikely fates for them both, destinies influenced by travel--voluntary in her case, enforced in his.

With money from an inheritance, Laura sets off to see the world, returning to Sydney to work for a travel guide. There she meets Ravi, a Sri Lankan political exile who wants only to see a bit of Australia and make a living. Where do these disparate characters truly belong? With her trademark subtlety, wit, and dazzling prose, Michelle de Kretser shows us that, in the 21st century, they belong wherever they want to and can be--home or away.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

"Laura Fraser grows up in Sydney, motherless, with a cold father and an artistic bent. Ravi Mendes is on the other side of the world--his humble father dead, his mother struggling, determined to succeed in computer science. Their stories alternate throughout-- culminating in unlikely fates for them both, destinies influenced by travel--voluntary in her case, enforced in his. With money from an inheritance, Laura sets off to see the world, returning to Sydney to work for a travel guide. There she meets Ravi, a Sri Lankan political exile who wants only to see a bit of Australia and make a living" -- from dust jacket.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,470,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible