Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day…

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art… (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Ron Hall, Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent (Collaborator)

Member:poetreegirl
Title:Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together
Authors:Ron Hall
Other authors:Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent (Collaborator)
Info:Thomas Nelson (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 245 pages
Rating:*****

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall (2006)

My personal opinion on rating this book "OK", has to do with it being a bit sappy and too many "spiritual" references. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
I bought this book about a year ago, after hearing co-author Ron Hall speak at a fundraiser banquet. I thought he had a neat story, and that I’d enjoy the book, so I bought my autographed copy. My eldest daughter read it the first week we owned it, and then it disappeared into the recesses of her room for a while. About half a year later, I retrieved it and moved it to my bookcase, where it sat for a while longer. Finally, I decided to dust it off last week and take it with me to the dentist office where I had some waiting room time ahead of me while three little girls had their teeth cleaned. By the time they all had pretty clean smiles, I was on chapter 19.

The book hops back and forth between two narrators: Denver, who grew up on a sharecropper’s plantation before he moved on to the big city streets to live as a homeless man, and Ron, a wealthy art dealer. It tells the story of their past, and how their two lives ended up intertwined to form the most unlikely friendship. The connection centers around Ron’s wife, Deborah. It’s a powerful story of unconditional love and loving the unloveable as Christ taught his followers to do.

As far as books go, this one is easy reading. The different narrators definitely have their own voice, and I loved the switching of perspectives – especially as their stories came to be parallel but told from two different points of view. The story itself is outstanding. The pictures evoked in my mind were quite vivid. I would caution you, unlike I did, to preview the book or at least simultaneously to read it with your older tween or teen – - there is some sensitive material, in the form of some things that happened to Denver when he was a boy, specifically an event carried out by members of the KKK. Also, several times, the “n” word is used. I wish I had know that before my 12 year old had read the book. I probably still would have let her read it, but we would have discussed it more. The book both humbled and challenged me, and I would recommend it to others. I would rate the book with a 4.5 of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
Suggestion from Mama. Bios of a rich art dealer and a homeless man with similar beginnings. a good read. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Heart wrenching story, that really makes you evaluate yourself ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |

Ron Hallprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Denvermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, LynnAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Well- a poor Lazarus poor as I
When he died he had a home on high....
The rich man died and lived so well
When he died he had a home in hell...
You better get a home in that Rock, don't you see?

--Negro Spiritual
Until Miss Debbie, I'd never spoke to no white woman before.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 084991910X, Paperback)

A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery. An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel. A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream. A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it.

It begins outside a burning plantation hut in Louisiana . . . and an East Texas honky-tonk . . . and, without a doubt, in the heart of God. It unfolds in a Hollywood hacienda . . . an upscale New York gallery . . . a downtown dumpster . . . a Texas ranch.

Gritty with pain and betrayal and brutality, this true story also shines with an unexpected, life-changing love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:03 -0400)

The co-author relates how he was held under plantation-style slavery until he fled in the 1960s and suffered homelessness for an additional eighteen years before the wife of the other co-author, an art dealer accustomed to privilege, intervened.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible