Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day…

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art… (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Ron Hall, Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent (Collaborator)

Title:Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together
Authors:Ron Hall
Other authors:Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent (Collaborator)
Info:Thomas Nelson (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 245 pages

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall (2006)

Recently added byTexasBookLover, LSS312, AR_bookbird, dpeach, private library, StJohnsBoerne, dlundyh

A good, fast read about how two very unlikely men form a lifetime friendship.

Didn't set off any "fireworks" for me, though.
  stacykurko | Oct 29, 2015 |
Extremely difficult to read on an emotional level. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This reads like a GREAT fiction book, but it is true story! You get so caught up in the story, you forget it is real-life! You can almost hear Denver's southern voice coming off the page. Chapters flip back and forth between Denver and Ron, but it is easy to follow. I read it in only two days. I just couldn't put it down!

The most amazing thing about this story is Deborah Hall, wife of Ron. Because of her love for Christ and her growing faith, she forgave her husband, began working with the homeless, heard from God, and stepped out in faith. Because of her love and her actions, lives were transformed for Christ.

Not only is this a fantastic story, it inspires me to be like Deborah (Miss Debbie), a woman of faith, prayer, and action! ( )
  DawnMHamsher | Jul 12, 2015 |
This book had been making the rounds of our staff for several weeks but I hadn’t really explored it on my own when a coworker put it in my hands and said, “You have to read this. This book will make you want to live a missional life.” She was right. Same Kind of Different As Me is the kind of story that speaks to those of us who are attempting to look outside ourselves, outside our little worlds, to the larger picture of what God has orchestrated in the cities and countries across the world. We all have opportunities to be missionaries, every day we have opportunities, yet we miss them or ignore them or just refuse to get involved for whatever “logical” reason we give ourselves. But if there’s anything I know it’s that God will continue to bring us into situation after circumstance until we submit to His work and simply reach out beyond our comfort zones. And this story of Denver Moore and the couple who did just that is proof positive that nothing but reward will come from this act of obedience.
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
My personal opinion on rating this book "OK", has to do with it being a bit sappy and too many "spiritual" references. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

Ron Hallprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Denvermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, LynnAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Well- a poor Lazarus poor as I
When he died he had a home on high....
The rich man died and lived so well
When he died he had a home in hell...
You better get a home in that Rock, don't you see?

--Negro Spiritual
Until Miss Debbie, I'd never spoke to no white woman before.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 084991910X, Paperback)

A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery. An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel. A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream. A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it.

It begins outside a burning plantation hut in Louisiana . . . and an East Texas honky-tonk . . . and, without a doubt, in the heart of God. It unfolds in a Hollywood hacienda . . . an upscale New York gallery . . . a downtown dumpster . . . a Texas ranch.

Gritty with pain and betrayal and brutality, this true story also shines with an unexpected, life-changing love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:26 -0400)

The co-author relates how he was held under plantation-style slavery until he fled in the 1960s and suffered homelessness for an additional eighteen years before the wife of the other co-author, an art dealer accustomed to privilege, intervened.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible