The Devil's Advocate by Morris L. West

The Devil's Advocate (1959)

by Morris L. West

English (7)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (12)
708. The Devil's Advocate, by Morris L. West (read 9 Sep 1962)(James Tait Black Memorial fiction prize for 1959) I found this to be a good book, but apparently I did no post-reading note on it. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 9, 2018 |
Old fashioned story telling at its best. I thought it was well ahead of it's time in theme since it was published in 1959 when we were not questioning the residual effects of war, , written incredibly well. A very good insight to war and it's aftermath for a civilian group that is just trying to survive when survival is questionable no matter what the circumstance. The faith issues the book address give pause, reflecting a genuiness that is thought provoking. ( )
  Elpaca | May 1, 2013 |
Monsignor Blaise Meredith, who is dying of cancer, is sent to a small, isolated Italian town to be a Devil's Advocate for beautification of Giacomo Nerone. We see the story, told largely in flashbacks, of a controversial character in an isolated peasant village. A vivid portrait is painted of the people who knew Nerone and how their actions resulted in good and evil. All are in need of spiritual healing or guidance, and West clearly shows us the changes that are still being wrought in their lives by their memories of Nerone. The question of whether Nerone is actually a saint is left for us to decide and I, myself, am undecided on that particular question. However, in this book it is the journey that is important along with actions taken on the way ... as it is in our own lives. There is no question about that. Highly recommended. ( )
  julied | Oct 15, 2008 |
Sadly, for many people the only truly admirable priests the meet are in the pages of fiction. When one starts to read Morris West’s novel The Devil’s Advocate one may be disappointed. Despite his illness Meredith is not a very sympathetic figure. ordained to be a priest of God he has spent his career as a paper pusher in the Vatican. As the story progresses and the clerk meets with real people, an agnostic Jewish physician, a saint’s lover and their child, a narcissistic English dowager a pederast painter a barely educated parish priest and a pastoral bishop his heart changes. The reader gains sympathy for Meredith. Highly recommended. Loyola are to be commended for bringing West’s book back into print. As the title suggests this book is more about the Devil's Advocate than it is about the saint he investigates. ( )
  liamfoley | Oct 14, 2007 |
In a small town in Calabria,the local partisans condemn a man to death.Allied deserter, traitor,collaborator,Giacomo Nerone deserved to die.
Years after the war,there are those who remember Nerone as a saint-a wounded fugitive who appeared from nowhere to lead them through the harsh winter and hunger of the German occupation into spring.
Blaise Meredith,the sceptical emissary from the Vatican has to act as 'THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE'
Interesting investigation of the past ! ( )
  rudik5834 | Apr 23, 2007 |

In an impoverished village in southern Italy, the enigmatic life and mysterious death of Giacomo Nerone has inspired talk of sainthood. Father Blaise Meredith, a dying English priest, is sent by the Vatican to investigate. As he tries to untangle the web of facts, rumours and outright lies that surround Nerone, The Devil's Advocate reminds us how the power of goodness ultimately prevails over despair. The Devil's Advocate was awarded the James Tait Black Memorial Prize and the W.H. Heinemann Award of the Royal Society of Literature, and was made into a film. It sold three million copies in its first two years and remains one of Morris West's most popular novels. 'A reading experience of real emotional intensity.' The New York Times Book Review 'An engrossing story, expertly told, about a set of fascinating people.' Chicago Sunday Tribune 'Brilliant and deeply disturbing.' The Daily Telegraph.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,873,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible