The View from Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman

The View from Penthouse B (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Elinor Lipman

Two newly-single sisters, one a divorcée, the other a widow, become roommates with a handsome, gay cupcake-baker as they try to return to the dating world of lower Manhattan.
Member:Jaylia3
Title:The View from Penthouse B
Authors:Elinor Lipman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

The View from Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman (2013)

I recently criticized a book because it had no plot; and this one doesn't really have much of a plot either but I liked it much better. The characters were quirky and endearing. The down-but-not-out residents of Penthouse B include owner Margo, who after her divorce from a wealthy gynecologist, had lost all her money to Bernie Madoff; her recently widowed sister Gwen; and Tony, a gay, unemployed Wall Street type.

These three move in together to share expenses and put their lives back together. I didn't catch on that the book was supposed to be a memoir about two years in the life of Gwen, from whose point of view the story was told. Maybe, that was meant to be a surprise at the end. It's not a quick-moving or especially memorable story, but I really enjoyed it. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
current day NYC — widow + her divorced sister team up to live — learn how to approach things differently — Ok — Easy Read

Unexpectedly widowed Gwen-Laura Schmidt is still mourning her husband, Edwin, when her older sister Margot invites her to join forces as roommates in Margot’s luxurious Village apartment. For Margot, divorced amid scandal (hint: her husband was a fertility doctor) and then made Ponzi-poor, it’s a chance to shake Gwen out of her grief and help make ends meet. To further this effort she enlists a third boarder, the handsome, cupcake-baking Anthony.
  christinejoseph | May 20, 2018 |
Set it aside, never went back. I might.
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Widowed Gwen moves in with her sister Margot. Margot's ex-husband Charles is in prison and Margot has lost her divorce settlement (apart from the penthouse) in the Madoff pyramid scheme. Later Margot takes in Anthony, who lost his job when Lehman Brothers collapsed, and Charles, released on parole, moves into a studio apartment in the same building.

I liked this less than other Lipman novels I have read: I found it a little arch or smug in places, and the Margot/Charles storyline was faintly distasteful. On the other hand, I loved Anthony, and Gwen's dating mishaps were entertaining. The Olivia/Noel storyline simply disappeared half way through - what was that about? ( )
  pgchuis | Nov 11, 2017 |
I love Elinor Lipman, and this book didn't disappoint. It's a great book about sisters and about moving past life's tragedies. Gwen-Laura is an interesting narrator, and you can't help but root for her to rejoin her life after losing her beloved husband. The characters were great, including Anthony and Chaz. Some of the ending felt a little rushed, but it did not detract from the novel. ( )
  Janine6877 | May 7, 2017 |
Who better to dedicate this particular book to than my wonderful sister, Deborah Slobodnik
Since Edwin died, I have lived with my sister Margot in the Batavia, an Art Deco apartment building on beautiful West Tenth Street in Greenwich Village.
In a sense, we live in both luxury and poverty, looking out over the Hudson while stretching the contents of tureens of stews and soups that Margot cooks expertly and cheerfully.
We mostly get along fine, and our division of labor is fair: cook and dishwasher, optimist and pessimist.
The working title of my organization is "Chaste Dates." So far, no one finds it either catchy or appealing.
He was/is a gynecologist, now under suspension, with a reckless subspecialty that drew the lonely and lubidinous. Patients came with an infertility story and left a little ruddier and more relaxed than when they arrived.
And yes, the vast majority of his practice was artificial rather than personal insemination. But for a few, the main draw was Charles himself, a silver-haired, blue-eyed, occasionally sensitive man, the kind of physician women put their faith in and develop a crush on.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,615,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible