That Way Lies Camelot by Janny Wurts

That Way Lies Camelot (1992)

by Janny Wurts

This was a sheer pleasure to read, a collection of short stories, both SF & fantasy, by a woman who normally writes long, detailed fantasy novels. I wish she'd write more. They fit into my busy schedule better. On top of that, she did the cover art. Maybe someday when I'm rich & famous I'll be able to afford to buy one of her paintings.

The SF stories were space operas featuring a couple of the same, excellent characters. I'm glad they were done as short stories interspersed with others. Each one grew the characters a bit more & the final one was wonderful.

A couple of the fantasy stories were in the same world, a very interesting take on elves. Most were completely off the reservation showing just how far Wurts' imagination can go. Very weird & wonderful worlds. I liked the last & title story the best, but they were all very good, most excellent.

I really need to make time to finish reading her War of Light & Shadow fantasy series. I think she's working on the last book for it right now. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
I was disappointed by this book, I guess I prefer her longer works. The first story, Wayfinder, was the best. Oh well, to each his own. ( )
  skinglist | Jan 10, 2009 |
This collection of short stories is a delightful read.It may seem a bit strange to mix fantasy and sci-fi in one book, but all the stories are strongly character-driven and this holds the book together as a satisfying whole. The first story, Wayfinder had me hooked and wanting to see how the story ended. A longer book is there waiting to be written. I loved the character driven sci-fi pieces ,one of which had 4 parts.I found I skipped ahead and read them as one continual story....Great stories, highly recommended. ( )
1 vote cayman | Dec 7, 2008 |

Janny Wurtsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurts, JannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061057789, Mass Market Paperback)

Our ancient tradition of tale-spinning is blessed with a treasure trove of truly sacred places. One such place is Camelot.

In this superb collection of unforgettable stories, the multitalented artist/writer Janny Wurts, one of today's bestselling fantasy authors, takes the reader to a very special Camelot that is both deeply familiar and delightfully strange. She tells of the Eld Tree that is the link to the fey world, and of the terrible price that must be paid for cutting it; of the elvenkind that emulate the wolf to protect themselves from man; of the horses that rose, and still rise, from the sea.

"That Way Lies Camelot" is a book that proves what Wurts' legions of readers already know: that the worlds of fantasy will live on as long as there are writers such as Janny Wurts, with the vision and the skill to bring them to life in the minds of each generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:59 -0400)

Janny Wurts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,992,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible