Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David…

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls

by David Sedaris

English (116)  German (1)  All languages (117)
This is the second book of Sedaris that I read. I like it more Me talk pretty one day . The stories are funny but since is the second book I am not as surprised as with the first. ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
Mildly amusing. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
I really liked the narration by the author, but I am not sure that audiobooks are for me, at least if I am at all distracted. Next time I listen to an audiobook, I will attempt to have the physical book with which to follow along as the words are spoken. I just cannot process information fast enough, and had to keep rewinding to catch the gist of what was being said. Of course, this made the listen less enjoyable. Other than that, the 'essays' or stories themselves were, at times, fun, funny, and emotional, but the last few felt "tacked on" and unrelated. ( )
  Kylalala | Jun 24, 2018 |
[b: Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls|15790837|Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1359704028s/15790837.jpg|21512389] was much better than I expected it to be after being roundly disappointed by [b: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk|7857195|Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk A Modest Bestiary|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1279831428s/7857195.jpg|10995406]. In this book, [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg] is back to doing what he does best - commenting about the minutia of everyday life, his family, and himself. We're back to travelogues that this time include a disgusting trip to China, an enlightening trip to Australia, and the horrors of immigration services in England. We're back to his relationship with Hugh, and the loving comedy of it all, and his always amusing relationship with his father and siblings. In other words, this book was pretty great if you already enjoy Sedaris.

My favorite story was probably the cover story. I could see far too much of myself in Sedaris as he gave into his love of taxidermy and examined a pygmy skeleton. I could understand his desire for an accurate replica of the human throat, and how he questioned his own fascination with such things. Morbid? Evil? There are a lot of ways to describe such an interest, but ultimately it isn't truly hurting anyone, is it? After reading that story I slid a bookmark in to mark it - I'd have to get my husband to read this, I'd a feeling he'd laugh.

I enjoy Sedaris's more mature writing, and am looking forward to reading [b: Theft By Finding|32498038|Theft by Finding Diaries 1977-2002|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1492298272s/32498038.jpg|53090763] next. After reading about his diaristic compulsion I think this should be an interesting, enlightening read. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Amusing, but hit and miss. ( )
  Spiricore | Jun 3, 2018 |
We know this sort of thing won’t fix the economy, but for the moment, it’ll fix us.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bird, AndrewMusicsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burns, EmilyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister Amy
One thing that puzzled me during the American healthcare debate was all the talk about socialized medicine and how ineffective it's supposed to be.
I was in London during the inauguration and watched the ceremony on the BBC, which reminded me every three seconds that Barack Obama was black and would become America's first black president. At first I thought that this was for blind people, a little reminder in case they forgot. Then it became laughable: Barack Obama, who is black, is arriving now with his black wife and two black children, a group that will form America's first black First Family, which is to say, the first group of blacks elected to the White House, which is white and not black like them. (From "Obama!!!!!")

A new collection of essays from the #1 New York Times bestselling author who has been called "the preeminent humorist of his generation" (Entertainment Weekly).

From the unique perspective of David Sedaris comes a new book of essays taking his readers on a bizarre and stimulating world tour. From the perils of French dentistry to the eating habits of the Australian kookaburra, from the squat-style toilets of Beijing to the particular wilderness of a North Carolina Costco, we learn about the absurdity and delight of a curious traveler's experiences. Whether railing against the habits of litterers in the English countryside or marveling over a disembodied human arm in a taxidermist's shop, Sedaris takes us on side-splitting adventures that are not to be forgotten.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

From the perils of French dentistry to the eating habits of the Australian kookaburra, from the squat-style toilets of Beijing to the particular wilderness of a North Carolina Costco, we learn about the absurdity and delight of a curious traveler's experiences. Whether railing against the habits of litterers in the English countryside or marveling over a disembodied human arm in a taxidermist's shop, Sedaris takes us on side-splitting adventures that are not to be forgotten.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,818,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible