Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews

Clean Sweep (edition 2013)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Member:amckie
Title:Clean Sweep
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:NYLA (2013), 235 pages
Collections:Kindle
Tags:2017, Kindle, .Fiction, Urban Fantasy

Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews

After the last Ilona Andrews book I've read, I developed this irrational aversion towards their books. The reason doesn't matter. It's more of a fear that I might like the characters too much and get slapped for it. I don't enjoy it.

Clean Sweep broke through all that completely.

I loved the main premise of necessary inns as places for beings from other world to stay. Dina's greatest worry is to lose a mark.
I loved the characters (all of them) and occasional bits of information about them, the worlds they are coming from, Dina's past. Even the not-in-your-face triangle is well written and it's only there for its humorous value.
This is an entertaining story with a lot of uncommon reactions (a woman at the supermarket doesn't run away but starts beating the monster, Dina's reactions to her guests and so on) and a well written and subtle cliffhanger. The story has two out of three things I hate the most and it still managed to be fun. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
What can I say, I'm a sucker for the werewolf and vampire meets girl. And when it's done the Ilona Andrews's style, I cant help but falling In love... ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
I've just finished this book. It only cost a few pounds for the Kindle version, so it was worth what I paid for it, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy the next in the series.

It's an urban fantasy featuring Dina, who is an innkeeper. Innkeeper in her case means that she has a symbiotic relationship with a building that is semi-intelligent, can modify its shape, produce defensive weapons and various other tricks besides.

The task of an innkeeper is to provide a safe place for aliens visiting Earth.

Rather disappointingly (from my viewpoint) the aliens to date include vampires and werewolves. I must admit that I've had too many vampires and werewolves and I get bored with attempts to use bad pseudo-science to make them believable. I cannot think of any kind of twist on genetic engineering that will convince me a werewolf can gain large amounts of mass when it changes form.

The inn suffers from the same problem. I love the idea, but the claim that it is advanced science that can't be distinguished from magic fails to convince me.

I'd rather have real science or pure magic. One masquerading as the other just annoys me.

On the plus side, the novel is very well written with excellent descriptive text. The characters are engaging (I particularly liked the mass murderer using the inn as a safe place. Not a character I would ever want to meet, but well and entertainingly written)

If the book had had original aliens I'd probably have enjoyed it more. However, what is a minus for me may well be a plus for others.

If you like your werewolves strong and with buckets of sex appeal and your vampires to be clannish, scheming and to have complex, devious politics, then I recommend 'Clean Sweep; to you. ( )
  JudithProctor | Mar 20, 2017 |
This is a book that is perfect what it is - a light romance, that is funny, at times sad, but never takes itself too seriously.

The premise is fun - there are places on earth, special inns that play host to a variety of creatures from both time and space. The job of innkeeper is to keep the clients happy and safe - the better the inn, the higher rating in the guidebook and more clients that the inn gets. Dina is an innkeeper that has an in with an incredibly low rating, meaning she needs to take all the business she can get.

When something goes around the neighborhood, killing animals and attacking humans, Dina needs to figure out what is happening to keep her inn safe.

The author is a veteran of many books - and even thought the book is self published, it has a very polished feel to it. Generally, the story is well written, the characters interesting and well written. Its great for something light, fast, a bit romantic, and funny. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 29, 2016 |
Brutus was dead.

Serialized free e-book - http://demo.ilona-andrews.com/

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible