Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews

Clean Sweep (edition 2013)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Member:amckie
Title:Clean Sweep
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:NYLA (2013), 235 pages
Collections:Kindle
Tags:2017, Kindle, .Fiction, Urban Fantasy

Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews

If I could give this book more than five stars I definitely would. It has a wonderful strong female lead character in Dina and the story was one of the best I've read so far this year. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure, sci-fi, or magical type books. ( )
  JillKenna | Jul 9, 2017 |
Dina DeMille runs a quaint Bed and Breakfast in Red Deer, Texas. She's a great neighbor and everything seems normal from the outside. Her Inn, the Gertrude Hunt, caters to a very specific clientele: otherworldly visitors. As an Innkeeper Dina has one duty which is to protect her guests and stay neutral. With the gruesome death of yet another neighbor's pet, Dina can no longer stand passively by. She must get to the bottom of what's going on even if it means putting the Inn at risk.

Clean Sweep is the first in the Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews. The story was originally released in serial format on the author's website as they wrote it and has now been packaged up and released as a short book. It was quite a fun read! There is intricate world building, action, humor, great characters, fun dialog and all packed into less than 250 pages. Andrews has also managed to do something completely original with vampire and werewolf lore, a thing I didn't think possible. No small feat!

The story is told entirely from Dina's point of view. Dina is a capable heroine and is easily discounted by the other characters at first. It was fun reading as she proved just how powerful she is within her realm of the Inn. The Inn is also a quasi character. It definitely has it's own life force, quirks and a bit of personality. I hope more of these are shown in future installments. The inn has one guest, one who likes to be called Her Majesty and has paid for a lifetime stay. Rounding out the cast are the friendly neighborhood werewolf, Sean Evans, and a vampire Marshall from the Holy Cosmic Anocracy, Arland. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers. Just know that both guys are great fun. One of my favorite scenes is when the two of them are talking about vampires and Arland casually refutes the holy water and garlic myths as utter nonsense. I loved it! While the author does set up both men as potential love interests, the romance theme of the story is fairly minor and I have a feeling this will be plot thread in the next book or two.

Overall this is a short, fun story. It has good pacing that steadily picks up for an exciting ending. I will definitely be continuing this series. ( )
  Narilka | Jun 12, 2017 |
What can I say, I'm a sucker for the werewolf and vampire meets girl. And when it's done the Ilona Andrews's style, I cant help but falling In love... ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
I've just finished this book. It only cost a few pounds for the Kindle version, so it was worth what I paid for it, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy the next in the series.

It's an urban fantasy featuring Dina, who is an innkeeper. Innkeeper in her case means that she has a symbiotic relationship with a building that is semi-intelligent, can modify its shape, produce defensive weapons and various other tricks besides.

The task of an innkeeper is to provide a safe place for aliens visiting Earth.

Rather disappointingly (from my viewpoint) the aliens to date include vampires and werewolves. I must admit that I've had too many vampires and werewolves and I get bored with attempts to use bad pseudo-science to make them believable. I cannot think of any kind of twist on genetic engineering that will convince me a werewolf can gain large amounts of mass when it changes form.

The inn suffers from the same problem. I love the idea, but the claim that it is advanced science that can't be distinguished from magic fails to convince me.

I'd rather have real science or pure magic. One masquerading as the other just annoys me.

On the plus side, the novel is very well written with excellent descriptive text. The characters are engaging (I particularly liked the mass murderer using the inn as a safe place. Not a character I would ever want to meet, but well and entertainingly written)

If the book had had original aliens I'd probably have enjoyed it more. However, what is a minus for me may well be a plus for others.

If you like your werewolves strong and with buckets of sex appeal and your vampires to be clannish, scheming and to have complex, devious politics, then I recommend 'Clean Sweep; to you. ( )
  JudithProctor | Mar 20, 2017 |
Brutus was dead.

Serialized free e-book - http://demo.ilona-andrews.com/

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,035,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible