All Star Superman by Grant Morrison

All Star Superman (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely (Illustrator)

Member:nordie
Title:All Star Superman
Authors:Grant Morrison
Other authors:Frank Quitely (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***
Tags:graphic novel, 2012 read, comic book, DC, Grant Morrison

All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison (2011)

Excellent story. However, as always, Quitely's artwork is horrible. ( )
  davepdavis | Jan 23, 2014 |
The one where they kill Superman (again).

Lex sets Superman to die after exposing him to too much solar radiation. As he dies, he performs some final tasks, including a trip to Bizarro (not great, and all those badly structured double negatives).

There is a final showdown with Lex who escapes from prison after going through the electric chair.

Graphics are good, showing that not everyone is pretty all of the time. Clark Kent is more bumbling than I think I've ever seen (and is a nice tie in to the Christopher Reeve Superman films). Good, but "Greatest Superman ever written"? Yet to be convinced ( )
  nordie | Nov 30, 2012 |
I've never liked SuperMan - but this volume has really made me reconsider him. Morrison's light, rollicking stories married to Quitely's gorgeous artwork and some divine colouring really make this a stand-out series.

Lex's machinations finally force Superman to confront his own mortality. How can the world live without Superman, and how can he live without the world? Finding out, of course, will involve saving it several times, and then there's Lois...

Morrison has taken what I've always regarded as the inherent silliness of the Superman milieu, added some steroids by way of some of the wackier Silver Age stuff, and whipped up this delightful, almost fluffy meringue with a kind of "World Of Tomorrow" wide-eyed quality that I really responded to. It's whimsical, and sweet, and also shows what you can accomplish without having to delve into the ever-fashionable "gritty", "dark" territory of the comic world.

This is not to say the book lacks emotional gravitas. At heart, it's a serious subject matter, and Morrison is happy to deliver pathos where it's required in a non-hokey way. Of course, his helter skelter plotting means that these moments rarely stretch beyond a page - or even a panel - but it's no chore, letting your eyes rest on Quitely's simple, clean work and just soaking up the mood in a small picture so beautifully rendered.

The book is, at heart, about Superman, and if I had one criticism it would be like we only catch glimpses of any other regular characters beyond Lex. Obviously, Lois plays a large role in the story, but beyond the first chapter we only get glimpses of her relationship with Superman, and I wanted more insight. What kind of relationship do they have? How did they get there? What powers their love and how are they attracted to each other? The book doesn't really address this questions.

There are myriad other small, affectionate touches littered throughout, however. Morrison and Quitely's take on Clark Kent is astute and endearing, Quintum, Jimmy, and the sad Zibarro all leave a mark on the story, as does Lex himself, of course. And the colouring really is divine.

Ultimately All-Star Superman is a wonderful, sweet example of what you can do with an "old" superhero to invigorate and invest the character with a different meaning. Morrison and Quietly seem like the perfect partners for such a task and it's really made me reconsider what Superman might have to offer. Stellar work. ( )
3 vote patrickgarson | Jun 21, 2012 |
the best, and only, Superman graphic novel you need to read, really. ( )
  Evade | Jan 3, 2012 |
...the measure of a man lies not in what he says, but what he does.
For Agnes and Walter, my mum and dad.
– Grant Morrison
For Ann Jane, Vin, Joe & Oria.
– Franky Quitely
Doomed planet.
This is the trade paperback omnibus edition; please do not combine with Volumes 1 or 2.

Presents a new version of the story of Superman, following his activities as a superhero and his interactions with Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, and Lex Luthor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,867,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible