Road Kill by CM Spencer

Member:needtoreadgottowatch
Title:Road Kill
Authors:CM Spencer
Info:
Collections:Would Buy As E-Book, Your library, Reviewed But Not Sure I Would Buy

Road Kill by C. M. Spencer

Crime mystery starring Anna Nolan, a new heroine set in rural Alberta ,Canada. Heroine out for walk with her dog after work ,stumbles on a body by the roadside , which turns out to be her ex-husband and is seen by a local cop standing over the dead man. Enjoyable read with developing romance throw-in ,but killer was obvious at an early stage in the novel. Paints a lovely picture of rural Canada. ( )
  tbrennan1 | May 16, 2013 |
A woman divorced for many years discovers her ex-husbands dead body in the woods by her home. She becomes the primary suspect. To prove her innocence she becomes her own detective. The book was simply written, easy to follow, a quick read and enough twists to keep you guessing as to who the murder is. I would recomment this book as a summer read when you do not have to put too much thought into the book. ( )
  joannemonck | Jan 9, 2013 |
Road Kill by CM Spencer is a fun mystery that will have you guessing. The book's main character, Anna, stumbles upon the dead body of her philandering ex-husband. Being the prime suspect of his murder, Anna takes it upon herself to find her ex-husband's killer. By doing so, she ultimately ends up getting in the way and meeting inspector Charles Tremaine.

The book has a slow beginning but begins to gain momentum as Anna gets deeper into her husband's investigation. The book does have one humorous bedroom scene. The reader is introduced to various characters that don't leave much of an impression. However, Spencer paints the life a small town community with charm and accuracy.

If you are looking for a charming mystery then I highly recommend this book. If your tastes run to the more gruesome side, you may want to take a pass. ( )
1 vote matiah | Dec 30, 2012 |
Beware of Walking Your Dog, You May Find a Body

Road Kill by C.M. Spencer is a cozy mystery set in Chinook (a small town in Canada). We follow the life of Anna Nolan, starting with (while out walking her dog) literally stumbling across the body of her estranged ex-husband (Jack)- and then immediately being found my a local cop over said body.

Evidence against her piles up and Anna has real reason to investigate his death. Which is to say, so she can prove her innocence. However- as she puts it- she's more of a liability to the police, bumbling around and damaging her case. Not only that, it puts her on Sergeant Charles Tremaine's (a British investigator brought in for the case) bad side. Constantly getting in his way and on his nerves.

As her life unravels and she struggles to find not only Jack's killer, but also peace after memories best left forgotten resurface. When she had been married to Jack, he had had a string of affairs. Anna's response had been to look the other way. Her reason was simple. She now had a son and no steady job or income. Without Jack to provide either, she would have to live of welfare. So instead she turned a blind eye until, years later, she finally draws the line and ends it. Now four years after that, her determination to find his killer leads her to meeting some of his past affairs. There are suspects galore and she's determined to find the guilty party.

Of course there are obstacles along the way. Meeting some of the women your husband cheated on you with is no small task, let alone trying to surreptitiously question them about his murder. Talk of Jack also brings to light his situation with Ben, Anna and Jack's 19 year old son. Having had no contact with his father for years, he is dealing with abandonment issues, hatred of the man his father had been and also love of the man who was the only father he had.

There are humorous attempts on Anna's part to ferret out the killer and prove herself to the police, especially Charles Tremaine. As a cozy mystery, it's a pretty light-hearted read. Though usually cozy mysteries have two points of interest- the murder and a subject the protagonist is passionate about. Generally, these will be tea rooms, flower shops or similar things to which the murder takes a back-seat. However, in this book the cozy mystery feel comes from the same writing style as with Agatha Christie books. They tell of grisly murders and yet somehow are pleasant to read, hence "cozy" mystery.

The ending is entertainingly Bond-ish. We have a dramatic villain who spouts all the usual cliches, even finishing off with an I'm-going-to-have-to-kill-you-now statement. Enjoyable to read nevertheless. The only criticism I have is that the story can be a little slow moving at times. Cozy mysteries often rely upon a second point of focus to help keep interest as the murder investigation takes place. As I said earlier, that doesn't happen here and the result is a missing second focus point. However, we do have some side-stories and entertaining events, so it's certainly not a reason not to read this book.

If you're looking for a good cozy mystery, a little bit of romance or just a nice read this is great for you.

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the author. This is not a sponsored review. All opinions are 100% my own. ( )
1 vote needtoreadgottowatch | Dec 14, 2012 |
I won this book from the Member Giveaway list. thank you very much.

I seldom give five stars for a book but in this case I don't have another possibility. It's an absolutely brilliant story. I would put it into the category of cosy mysteries. It's a mixture between Miss Marpel and Murder she wrote only in a modern version and set out in Canada.
I got quickly familiar with all characters. CM Spencer described them, the actions and the surrounding so vivid that I've felt being into the plot on my own, being a part of them as a ghostly observer. I suffered with Anna Nolan when she was trying to track down her ex-husband's murder in her unorthodox ways. Sometimes I felt to give her support or held her back on the other hand I had to roll my eyes and and could laugh out loud.
It's marvellously written and I wasn't able to stop the reading. It kept me guessing up until the very end if Anna will get him or not and this made me all tingly.

I can strongly recommend this book. ( )
1 vote Ameise1 | Dec 8, 2012 |
Thanks to my husband, Reid, for all the nights when pillow talk was about this book.
It all started when my dog didn't come back to me.

C. M. Spencer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible