The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) by…

The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) (edition 2012)

by Rachel Morgan

Member:Cathy_Keaton
Title:The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1)
Authors:Rachel Morgan
Info:
Collections:Read, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Faerie Guardian by Rachel Morgan

The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow #1) by Rachel Morgan

Violet Fairdale is a seventeen-year-old fairy guardian in training. It is Vi’s job to protect humans and innocent Fae from the evil things that hunt them. While on a mission, Nate, a human boy who should not be able to see her kind, followed Vi to faerie. Having broken Guild Law, she is required to return the boy to the mortal realm and spell him to forget. It sounds easy, nope far from it.

Violet is a wonderful heroine. She is a hardworking dedicated student, at the top of her class. I love her strong sprit. Both her parents have died, and she doesn’t have many people she can rely on. Despite that she is a good person, with strong values.

I enjoyed the storyline of Violet’s once friend, now nemesis, Ryn. They share a thought-provoking past. He keeps you guessing. I am curious where that relationship will go in future books.

I enjoyed the world that Rachel Morgan created. She does an excellent job describing environments in a stimulating manner.

The Faerie Guardian is an action pact thrilling novel. The story is intriguing. It is mysterious, you never know who Vi can trust. I can easily see me getting hooked on this series and look forward to reading, The Faerie Prince (Creepy Hollow, #2).

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | May 14, 2014 |
This book was addicting and I found myself rarely even looking up from my e-reader! To me the book started out mediocre but by halfway through I was hooked. I immediately started reading the 2nd book, which has a 5 star review coming later this week, after I finished The Faerie Guardian.

The ideas of a faerie world really intrigued me, and as I was reading, really sucked me in! This may even be my favorite faerie book yet. The world is richly imagined and all the unique powers and gadgets and training kept the readers interested and sets this book apart from other less imagined and creative novels. The Guild and Creepy Hollow are very vivid.

To me all the characters were well developed and unique, although I did have some problems with Nate a first. Violet, Ryn, Tora, and all the other characters were amazing from start to finish though. Violet is a Grade A heroine with her epic faeries skills, witty comebacks, and narration. And Ryn was so awesome, especially as you learn more about him! There are also many realistic feeling and coping methods to grief you see presented in some characters.

The pacing is perfect. I was never bored, not once. There is always action. In the end of the book especially there was a lot of heart pounding action. And everything happening is explained perfectly and in way the readers are pulled into the world. Plus, all the magical abilities add charm to the novel.

One little problem I had with Nate is that he fell for Violet too quickly. However, at least not for Violet I am not sure about Nate, is that it was just more of a "like" relationship. I didn't even really like Nate in the beginning but he really grows into an interesting and really cool character! Although I am pretty sure I'll always like Ryn better as a unique and vivid character.

The ending of this book has you begging for more. I felt as if with every page I read I became more invested. As I have already read the first two books I am impatiently waiting for the third one! This is a series that could rise to my favorites list, so pick up The Faerie Guardian if you have the chance!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would not hesitate to recommend The Faerie Guardian to any of my friends! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Faeries, you say? More faeries? I know, I know. The YA market has become quite saturated with Faeries and Fairies (and any other spelling you can think of ) - especially since the success of Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. So, what makes this series different and worth reading? A few things: an original take on human/faerie interaction, amazing world-building, entertaining dialogue and a kick-ass female main character to start.

In this faerie world, humans are strictly forbidden. They are never to know anything about Faerie. Of course, there are the baddies who want to take advantage of humans, or maybe eat them for dinner, but that's where the Guardians come in. Guardians are an elite group of Faeries who are trained to fight their darker counterparts and protect humans. They use glamour to hide themselves from us. I thought this take on Faerie was unique. Usually faeries - light and dark both - are all about taking advantage of humans in whatever way they can. I found it refreshing that in this world, there are faeries who want to protect us.

The world was also unique. The fae live mostly like humans do but things we do with technology, they do with magic. They create light with magic, they have "sound drops" that play music into your ears when you stick them to your temples, they even have modern conveniences like bathrooms - with a magical twist:

I jump off the bed and join him at the doorway to the bathing room. He peers in at what looks like a slice of nature. Grass grows naturally, and a pool fills the center of the room. Scattered amongst the blades of grass are hundreds of tiny blue and yellow flowers. Trees with tangled branches conceal the walls, and water tumbles down a pile of rocks and into the other side of the pool.

"You are kidding me, " says Nate. "You have a pool in your bathroom?"

"The bath idea never really took off," I say. "Self-cleaning pools have been in for centuries. And the mini-waterfall provides an excellent shower."

It's details like these that make me really fall in love with not only the story, but the world it is set in.

Violet, or Vi, is a faerie training to be a Guardian. Nate happens to be an assignment. After fighting off a baddie, she realizes that Nate can see through her glamour. She tries to high-tail it out of there but Nate hitches a ride with her to Creepy Hollow, the faerie world. So, now Vi is in trouble! She has broken the first and most important rule of Faerie - no humans allowed! As part of her punishment, she is tasked with protecting this human boy while escorting him back to the human world. This is where the action starts. I'm not going to tell you more than that because I don't want to ruin it for you. Suffice it to say that there's quite a bit of action.

I loved the interactions between Nate and Violet at the beginning of the book. I laughed out loud in a couple of parts and snickered at others. The author did a really great job of writing Nate as a human who learns that magic and faeries are real. He has all these misconceptions based on fairy tales and movies and that makes for some great dialogue.

"No way," he says, rustling the leaves as he stands. "You can't be a faerie. You're way too big."

I lower my hands. "Excuse me?" I've been called many things in my seventeen years, but 'big' has never been one of them...

"Aren't faeries supposed to be, like, really tiny? With wings and a wand and faerie dust?"

"I'm not Tinker Bell!" ....

"So you don't have wings then?" he asks, completely ignoring what I just said.

"Sure I do, they're in my pocket."

"Really?"

"No!"

Of course, Nate and Violet end up an item. This is actually the part that almost lost me. Anyone who has read this blog before knows that I am not a fan of insta-love and Nate and Violet walk a very fine line there. There is no big declaration of love, no declaration that they are soul mates, but things develop a little too quickly for my taste.

I really enjoyed the storyline and thought the pacing was good. There was a point somewhere towards the middle of the book where it almost seemed like I was reading a different book about the same characters. I can't say more without giving anything away but that was a little jarring for me. This book was originally published as four separate novellas so this makes sense to some extent. We go from romance with Nate and Vi to no Nate and backstory with Ryn instead. Later on, things became more clear and I could see how things fit together but while reading there was definitely a little bit of a disconnect between the plotlines. Generally, this book moved along quickly and was very entertaining.

My favorite thing about this book was the main character, Violet. She is a strong heroine both physically and mentally. She has a smart mouth and is funny. She works hard to be the best at what she does. She is dedicated to her work and to the people she cares about. At the same time, she still has vulnerabilities and insecurities that make her a believable character. I enjoyed reading from Violet's perspective and watching her question and grow along the way.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this one. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good fairy tale, fans of fantasy and especially fans of Julie Kagawa and her Iron Fey series. This was an original take on the Fae and I can't wait to read more!

P.S. I'm Team Ryn! ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
Books & Sweet Epiphany
www.booksandsweetepiphany.blogspot.com

The synopsis of this book absolutely grabbed my attention.
I am so glad that I read this book because its absolutely amazing!

It's a fast-paced journey all the way. Lots of suspense and amazing writing style.

I love all of the characters and it was really touching to see how the characters evolve in the story.

I've read book 2 and I gotta tell you guys, you're in for a surprise.

There's a lot of shocking scenes in this book and I absolutely love that.

You'll want more and more of Violet as you read on. It pulls you into the story in such a scale that you can't help but keep reading, re-reading and reading and reading and reading.

Simply put it, The Faerie Guardian is a book NOT TO BE MISSED. ITS AMAZINGLY AWESOME!

Sincerely,
Selina.
  Selina.Marie.Liaw | Aug 2, 2013 |
This was reviewed on The Book Hookup

**We received a copy of this book but that did not influence the review**

Wow, did this book go from pretty good to really awesome by the end! I haven’t read a book about the fae in a long time so I was way overdue. I loved the main character, Violet’s (or Vi’s) narrative. She was driven with her training and did everything by the books, until her emotions got in the way when she met the human boy Nate. She and Nate seem to hit it off romantically pretty quickly, and while I wasn’t feeling the chemistry because it was so sudden, I went with it because the story was cranking up. Little did I know what would happen down the road in the story, a change in attitude…that I *think* is going to lead towards a very intense romance in the next book. Please, please, please Ms. Morgan!

Violet’s small promise to help out Nate was a great little story, but by the end the small promise had turned into a great big story. It was built up beautifully and effortlessly, and I was totally sucked in by the end. I can’t wait to see all the loyalties come out in the next book…I love double crossings and I have a feeling I am going to be surprised!

Then there’s the cover: it is so pretty with the purple (violet) and the dark surrounding it, just like in the story. But the pretty goes beyond cover love here as the world the author has built is so clearly described. From images of the faerie houses with the beautiful bathing pools to the underground tunnels-I felt like I was there. I swear I could hear the water in the bathing pools and the fresh scent of the waterfall, and the awful smell of the dank and dark tunnels underground….I loved it!

If you love fae and want a great read, I totally rec this book, you won’t be disappointed.
  celeste.harrington | Apr 30, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible