The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) by…

The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) (edition 2012)

by Rachel Morgan

Member:Cathy_Keaton
Title:The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1)
Authors:Rachel Morgan
Info:
Collections:Read, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Faerie Guardian by Rachel Morgan

Fantastic

I was expecting mediocre juvenile fiction and quickly realized how wrong I was. The characters are very relatable and their world is rich and detailed. It is easy to lose oneself in their adventures. I will certainly be reading the next book in the series. ( )
  Mozzie | Dec 19, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I always love a snarky heroine who doesn't use terrible language. (Vi's favorite expletive is "flippin' flip!".) This is one of those books that just ticks every box for me. The world-building is creative and interesting, the characters are awesome and have the most hysterical conversations, the action is intense, the villains are incredibly evil, and the plot is exciting and romantic. I'm excited to see what comes next in the series and am glad I don't have to wait a year to read them. I should always wait until the whole series is out before starting :).

A couple of my favorite quotes from The Faerie Guardian :

“Seelie Court,” murmurs Nate. “Sounds familiar. Was it in a computer game?”
“Do I look like someone who plays computer games?”
A grin stretches across Nate’s face. “You look like someone who could be in a computer game.”

“I angle my head down and peer up at him through my lashes in what I hope is an alluring manner. I have zero experience in this area though, so it’s possible I look like a total moron.”

“You’re not the kind of person to just randomly fall in love. You’re way too . . .”
My eyes shoot to his. “Too what?”
“Well, you know, emotionally closed off.”
“I will emotionally close off every orifice in your face if you don’t shut up about this right now.”

Like I said, I do love a clean-mouthed snarky heroine! And I also love it when a books quotes practically write the review for you. Unfortunately, this doesn't get checked out very often in my library, I'll have to start talking it up. I wish the cover of the paperback was the same as the ebook edition that I read because I think it would get checked out more if it was - it was gorgeous!

Areas of concern:
The *d* word is used a handful of times.
There is quite a bit of violence - Guardians against magical creatures and Unseelie against Seelie.
A 6 year old child is in mortal danger.
Absent/dead parents of the main character who lives by herself. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |
I have received an ebook copy of this book via Xpresso BT review opportunity.

The Faerie Guardian is the first book in Creepy Hollow series. The book starts by introducing Violet Fairdale, who is a Guardian trainee on assignment. From there, a number of rule-breaking has been made that leads to indirectly harming the people she cares about and she cared about.

What I liked about this book is the modernized kind of way approach to fae realm. This book was easy to read. The nature of action accompanied by magical surge and physical attack made the reading so much fun. Though, I really did not fancy Violet and Nate's romance. I was not into insta-love because I could not see how the 'love' actually evolved and blossomed.

On the other hand, right in the start, Ryn and Violet has a very good potential for romantic relationship. Even without revealing their past yet. They really got a very good chemistry, even if all they do when they meet each other is fight. I am actually looking forward what their 'sort of friends' relationship will turn into. They have more sparks than the latter.

I like it to the point of wanting to finish the whole series of this book. I just don't like the 'meh' part when it comes to Nate and Violet. I love to see more of Ryn and Vi. Oh! The cover looks simply faerie nice. ( )
  Kristelle_Linawan | Aug 1, 2014 |
The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow #1) by Rachel Morgan

Violet Fairdale is a seventeen-year-old fairy guardian in training. It is Vi’s job to protect humans and innocent Fae from the evil things that hunt them. While on a mission, Nate, a human boy who should not be able to see her kind, followed Vi to faerie. Having broken Guild Law, she is required to return the boy to the mortal realm and spell him to forget. It sounds easy, nope far from it.

Violet is a wonderful heroine. She is a hardworking dedicated student, at the top of her class. I love her strong sprit. Both her parents have died, and she doesn’t have many people she can rely on. Despite that she is a good person, with strong values.

I enjoyed the storyline of Violet’s once friend, now nemesis, Ryn. They share a thought-provoking past. He keeps you guessing. I am curious where that relationship will go in future books.

I enjoyed the world that Rachel Morgan created. She does an excellent job describing environments in a stimulating manner.

The Faerie Guardian is an action pact thrilling novel. The story is intriguing. It is mysterious, you never know who Vi can trust. I can easily see me getting hooked on this series and look forward to reading, The Faerie Prince (Creepy Hollow, #2).

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | May 14, 2014 |
This book was addicting and I found myself rarely even looking up from my e-reader! To me the book started out mediocre but by halfway through I was hooked. I immediately started reading the 2nd book, which has a 5 star review coming later this week, after I finished The Faerie Guardian.

The ideas of a faerie world really intrigued me, and as I was reading, really sucked me in! This may even be my favorite faerie book yet. The world is richly imagined and all the unique powers and gadgets and training kept the readers interested and sets this book apart from other less imagined and creative novels. The Guild and Creepy Hollow are very vivid.

To me all the characters were well developed and unique, although I did have some problems with Nate a first. Violet, Ryn, Tora, and all the other characters were amazing from start to finish though. Violet is a Grade A heroine with her epic faeries skills, witty comebacks, and narration. And Ryn was so awesome, especially as you learn more about him! There are also many realistic feeling and coping methods to grief you see presented in some characters.

The pacing is perfect. I was never bored, not once. There is always action. In the end of the book especially there was a lot of heart pounding action. And everything happening is explained perfectly and in way the readers are pulled into the world. Plus, all the magical abilities add charm to the novel.

One little problem I had with Nate is that he fell for Violet too quickly. However, at least not for Violet I am not sure about Nate, is that it was just more of a "like" relationship. I didn't even really like Nate in the beginning but he really grows into an interesting and really cool character! Although I am pretty sure I'll always like Ryn better as a unique and vivid character.

The ending of this book has you begging for more. I felt as if with every page I read I became more invested. As I have already read the first two books I am impatiently waiting for the third one! This is a series that could rise to my favorites list, so pick up The Faerie Guardian if you have the chance!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would not hesitate to recommend The Faerie Guardian to any of my friends! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Rachel Allyson Stone and Rachel Morgan have both written books with this title.

This novel was originally published in four separate parts: Guardian, Labyrinth, Traitor and Masquerade. It includes bonus scenes at the end that were not published in the individual parts.

12 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible