The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) by…

The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) (edition 2012)

by Rachel Morgan

Member:Cathy_Keaton
Title:The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1)
Authors:Rachel Morgan
Info:
Collections:Read, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Faerie Guardian by Rachel Morgan

I got this book to read on audiobook. The audiobook was decently done but not wonderful. The main heroine has a very chirpy voice which doesn’t match her character all that well. Additionally a lot of the male voices sounded similar (particularly Nate and Ryn).

I really didn’t like the beginning of this book. The story was just too simple and too silly; the beginning is all about Nate following Vi into faerie and getting her into trouble and the chaos that follows when she tries to get him back home. I thought Nate was incredibly unlikable; he came across as selfish and chauvinistic and I truly did not understand what a strong girl like Vi saw in him. I almost stopped listening to this a couple hours in because I just could not stand Nate.

The book got a lot better in the second half when Vi starts to unravel the mystery around Nate’s mom and the strange eye tattoo Nate ends up with. Here we get introduced to a lot more of the politics in Faerie and the story gets tons more interesting. Also Nate gets a lot less page space and Ryn gets a lot more (I loved Ryn).

I absolutely loved Ryn’s character and really loved the dynamic him and Vi had going on. Ryn comes off as a jerk early on, but as you learn the complicated history between him and Vi things get more and more interesting.

In the second half of the book there is a also a lot more discussion about powerful magic items and a plot to collect them and this was very engaging.

The action scenes are well done and I enjoyed most of the characters (except for Nate). In the end this ended up being a decent book despite the rough start.

Overall an okay read that has a lot of fae magic, romance, and action. I would recommend to those who enjoy paranormal YA reads. The book started rough but got better towards the end. I am unsure if I will continue with the series or not; I’ll have to think about it a bit. ( )
  krau0098 | May 11, 2016 |
Fantastic

I was expecting mediocre juvenile fiction and quickly realized how wrong I was. The characters are very relatable and their world is rich and detailed. It is easy to lose oneself in their adventures. I will certainly be reading the next book in the series. ( )
  Mozzie | Dec 19, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I always love a snarky heroine who doesn't use terrible language. (Vi's favorite expletive is "flippin' flip!".) This is one of those books that just ticks every box for me. The world-building is creative and interesting, the characters are awesome and have the most hysterical conversations, the action is intense, the villains are incredibly evil, and the plot is exciting and romantic. I'm excited to see what comes next in the series and am glad I don't have to wait a year to read them. I should always wait until the whole series is out before starting :).

A couple of my favorite quotes from The Faerie Guardian :

“Seelie Court,” murmurs Nate. “Sounds familiar. Was it in a computer game?”
“Do I look like someone who plays computer games?”
A grin stretches across Nate’s face. “You look like someone who could be in a computer game.”

“I angle my head down and peer up at him through my lashes in what I hope is an alluring manner. I have zero experience in this area though, so it’s possible I look like a total moron.”

“You’re not the kind of person to just randomly fall in love. You’re way too . . .”
My eyes shoot to his. “Too what?”
“Well, you know, emotionally closed off.”
“I will emotionally close off every orifice in your face if you don’t shut up about this right now.”

Like I said, I do love a clean-mouthed snarky heroine! And I also love it when a books quotes practically write the review for you. Unfortunately, this doesn't get checked out very often in my library, I'll have to start talking it up. I wish the cover of the paperback was the same as the ebook edition that I read because I think it would get checked out more if it was - it was gorgeous!

Areas of concern:
The *d* word is used a handful of times.
There is quite a bit of violence - Guardians against magical creatures and Unseelie against Seelie.
A 6 year old child is in mortal danger.
Absent/dead parents of the main character who lives by herself. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |
I have received an ebook copy of this book via Xpresso BT review opportunity.

The Faerie Guardian is the first book in Creepy Hollow series. The book starts by introducing Violet Fairdale, who is a Guardian trainee on assignment. From there, a number of rule-breaking has been made that leads to indirectly harming the people she cares about and she cared about.

What I liked about this book is the modernized kind of way approach to fae realm. This book was easy to read. The nature of action accompanied by magical surge and physical attack made the reading so much fun. Though, I really did not fancy Violet and Nate's romance. I was not into insta-love because I could not see how the 'love' actually evolved and blossomed.

On the other hand, right in the start, Ryn and Violet has a very good potential for romantic relationship. Even without revealing their past yet. They really got a very good chemistry, even if all they do when they meet each other is fight. I am actually looking forward what their 'sort of friends' relationship will turn into. They have more sparks than the latter.

I like it to the point of wanting to finish the whole series of this book. I just don't like the 'meh' part when it comes to Nate and Violet. I love to see more of Ryn and Vi. Oh! The cover looks simply faerie nice. ( )
  Kristelle_Linawan | Aug 1, 2014 |
The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow #1) by Rachel Morgan

Violet Fairdale is a seventeen-year-old fairy guardian in training. It is Vi’s job to protect humans and innocent Fae from the evil things that hunt them. While on a mission, Nate, a human boy who should not be able to see her kind, followed Vi to faerie. Having broken Guild Law, she is required to return the boy to the mortal realm and spell him to forget. It sounds easy, nope far from it.

Violet is a wonderful heroine. She is a hardworking dedicated student, at the top of her class. I love her strong sprit. Both her parents have died, and she doesn’t have many people she can rely on. Despite that she is a good person, with strong values.

I enjoyed the storyline of Violet’s once friend, now nemesis, Ryn. They share a thought-provoking past. He keeps you guessing. I am curious where that relationship will go in future books.

I enjoyed the world that Rachel Morgan created. She does an excellent job describing environments in a stimulating manner.

The Faerie Guardian is an action pact thrilling novel. The story is intriguing. It is mysterious, you never know who Vi can trust. I can easily see me getting hooked on this series and look forward to reading, The Faerie Prince (Creepy Hollow, #2).

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | May 14, 2014 |
Rachel Allyson Stone and Rachel Morgan have both written books with this title.

This novel was originally published in four separate parts: Guardian, Labyrinth, Traitor and Masquerade. It includes bonus scenes at the end that were not published in the individual parts.

9 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,586,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible