Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Leashing the Tempest by Jenn Bennett

Leashing the Tempest (edition 2012)

by Jenn Bennett

Collections:Your library, Reviewed for Publisher/Authors

Leashing the Tempest by Jenn Bennett

3.5 stars ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
I had pre ordered this and forgotten it was a Novella when I got it. It did not feel like one. The book is very well written and you just fell right back in with the characters.

It picks up after the 2nd book, they are going out on a boat to test Jupe's new "skill" on Kar Yee. We get Lon, Cady, Jupe and Kar Yee. Originally I was not a huge fan of Kar Yee; however, she is growning on me and I am starting to really like her.

I love the relationships in this book and the humor with the caring in it. Cady and Jupe are so sweet together.

This was short and intense, if you have not read the other Arcadia Bell books, start with Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell) and then the second is Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell).

This has become one of my "keeper series". They are on auto purchase for me, and if you want a different twist on paranormal this is a good one. (I normally don't read demon books, but for some reason I don't mind them in this series). Good writing, excellent relationships and a great balance between characters and plot.
  LCOP | Mar 5, 2013 |
I am in a big reading drought. Books I should be totally into, I am finding dull. Instead of three books a week, I have been lucky to get through one. Basically, I haven't been my normal book devouring self. Then this novella came along. I pre-ordered this for my kindle quite awhile ago and hadn't forgotten exactly when it was supposed to come out. Then I turned on my kindle, and there it was...the bright and shiny cover beckoning me to read it. I dug right in. Praise the powers that be! I loved this novella so much! When I stumbled upon the first novel in the Cady series, I was impressed. The second one sealed the deal. I love the characters very much, especially the amazing realistic Jupiter. I am pleased to say that "Leashing the Tempest" is a full and exciting short story. There is a beginning, a middle, and a end to the plot in this novella. Lon decides to hire a boat to take Cady and Jup (as well as Cady's friend) out for the day. Jupe wants to practice using his newly discovered talent and Lon is trying to decide if he should purchase his own boat. But there is definitely something fishy going on with this boat and its captain. Pretty soon things go from bad to worse and Cady is forced to use her powers to 'leash the tempest'. Like the two full length novels, this story succeeds not just because of an exciting plotline but because these characters are just so likeable. They are written with such depth that the reader feels like they are real people. Cady is among my favorite urban fantasy/sci-fi heroines and I can seriously go on all day about how wonderful fourteen year old Jupiter is. Jupiter provided several laugh out loud moments here and my husband gave me that 'wow, are you strange' look when I burst into giggles while reading this tale. If you have managed to miss the first stories, go right now and buy them. If you have read the first two, you probably already have "Leashing The Tempest" on your radar. Read it! Hopefully, this is the end of my reading drought! ( )
  pacey1927 | Feb 26, 2013 |
Jenn Bennett leapt onto my radar in 2012 with KINDLING THE MOON, the first book in the Cady Bell series and also her debut novel. It's a wonderful series, filled with awesome world building, ribald humour, not-so-ribald-but-equally-entertaining humour, strong relationships, and one very dashing moustache, which is nicely referenced in this mini-novella.

When I first heard about the premise of LEASHING THE TEMPEST, my brain immediately starting singing The Lonely Island's "I'm On A Boat". And then I started picturing Jupe and Cady singing it...It's a slippery tangential slope so I'm going to get back to the matter at hand: the awesomeness that is Jenn Bennett and the world and characters she's created! And then I saw this after writing my post and realized that I wasn't the only one. :D

But back to the matter at hand. LEASHING THE TEMPEST has everything I love in a Cady Bell story in a very nice 60-page package. It's the perfect read to tide you over until May, when BINDING THE SHADOWS is released. And even though LEASHING THE TEMPEST is only 60 pages long, it's a very satisfying story. I sometimes have length complaints with novellas because they feel unfinished but LEASHING A TEMPEST is like a cake pop: small but extremely delicious. And it's suitable for existing fans and new readers because Jenn Bennett does an excellent job of explaining the world Cady and co. live in, and because the characters come alive and you can see their bonds quite clearly.

The story itself is a lot of fun, too. Cady, Lon, Jupe, and Kar Yee are going on a private boat ride so that Lon can take pictures and Jupe can test his demonic knack on Kar Yee is a safe environment. Of course, these guys can't go anywhere without something unfortunate happening so they quickly find themselves threatened by an unnatural storm, thanks to some bad decisions made by certain characters who will remain unnamed to keep things interesting for those of you who haven't tried this novella yet. There are some shocking moments and I loved the way the story ended.

For me, the best part of the novella was getting more Kar Yee time. She's one of my favourite characters in the series and her interactions with Jupe, who is completely infatuated, are absolutely hysterical. I would totally read a spin-off story featuring the two of them on some sort of madcap adventure. It would be like Batman and Robin, if Batman had a sense of humour and a sense of entitlement, and if Robin upped his slavish devotion just a touch.

If you're looking for a last-minute present that's a definite winner (and quite affordable for you at only $0.99 US), gift your loved one (or passing acquaintance) a copy of LEASHING THE TEMPEST. It has moustaches and romance and yachts, oh my!

P.S. I love how the cover of LEASHING THE TEMPEST echoes the colours in the first Cady novel.

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 20, 2013 |
LEASHING THE TEMPEST by Jenn Bennett was the perfect little novella for me. With the right length and perfect pacing, it gave me a taste of the characters and added some development to the series; it made me feel like I was back home, and then it whet my appetite for more.

The Arcadia Bell series is one of my favorites. And what makes it one of my favorites is Jenn Bennet’s ability to really capture the chemistry and camaraderie between Lon, Cady, and Jupe. I love it when writers give the characters moments to just shoot the shit. It makes them more real to me and gives a better understanding of why two characters are together or why they want to actually spend time with one another. Bennett always gives her characters these moments and they’re always pitch perfect. The banter between Jupe, Lon, Cady and Kar Yee made me laugh out loud; it made me want to be on that boat with them…well, until all hell breaks loose.

There is magic and mayhem; great dialogue and a sweet moment between Lon and Cady. We learn more about Jupe’s knack and spend more time with Kar Yee. This is a great novella for fans of the series who want more Cady and Co. and can’t wait for the May 2013 release of BINDING THE SHADOWS. I would even go so far as to say that readers new to the series, who would like a taste of Arcadia, could read this one and not be lost yet get a sense of the relationships, writing style, and magic that makes up the series as a whole.

Whether you start here or with KINDLING THE MOON, book one, you need to start somewhere – Arcadia Bell is one of the best. And you have until May to get ready for the new release. So, what are you waiting for?

This review is courtesy of SHE-WOLF READS - www.shewolfreads.com. ( )
  shewolfreads | Dec 22, 2012 |

Jenn Bennett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,699,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible