Born of Illusion by Teri Brown

Born of Illusion (edition 2013)

by Teri Brown

Member:BookConfessions
Title:Born of Illusion
Authors:Teri Brown
Info:Balzer Bray (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:1920s, Balzer and Bray, Book Review, Fantasy, HarperCollins, Historical Fiction, Magic, Mystery, Romance, Teen, Teri Brown, Young Adult, Young Adult Fiction, Young Adult Historical Fiction

3.5 stars ( )
  christiestar | Oct 23, 2017 |

Good & Bad

This book was a slow read for me. It had some very good chapters and some dull. The “suspenseful” part comes up midway thru and is so dragged out that it became unsuspenceful.No page turning,just dragged out. The “bad guy” was predictable. A lot of repetition and just plain dragged out.

I chose this book because my Grandparents were magicians in the 1920’s.My Grandmother a true medium.The author “nailed” it with her knowledge of the cons and scams of vaudeville and the managers and police raids.Her facts and knowledge on the mark1 It got to the point I had to skim pages in a few spots.
This could be abt 100 pages shorter and it would be a read that would pack a punch. ( )
  LauGal | Oct 22, 2016 |
What a fun quick read. Didn't realize it was a YA, but it wasn't filled with the angst of typical YA stuff. The main character, a young woman of 16, lives in 1920s New York, in a pleasant apartment above an old cantankerous gentleman. She and her mother are mediums, and do high end shows 4 times per week. She does a magic show and her mom does the psychic stuff. However, her mom is a complete fraud. The girl, however, is not. She has visions of the future, can channel the dead and can read emotions. She's kept these talents hidden all of her life. Oh, did I mention that she can pick a mean lock, and is rumored to be Houdini's daughter? Professional intrigue, kidnappings, and romance abound. This wasn't quite what Zi expected, but a fun read nonetheless. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Sep 18, 2016 |
4.5 stars

It is the 1920s in New York City. Anna's mother is a medium and Anna has had an unusual childhood. She has been told that Harry Houdini is her father. She has real magic powers of her own and opens as a magician for her mother's show. Her mother supplements their income with seances, which Anna hates helping with. She is trying to hide her magic from her mother (who is jealous when Anna shows her up; Anna and her mother have a strained relationship). Anna is 16 (?) and has just met Owen and Cole, two men she is very drawn to. She would also love to meet her father.

There is actually quite a bit going on in this book, more than I've even mentioned. I loved it! I loved the atmosphere of the book and wanted to keep reading. I considered giving it 5 stars, but due to what I thought was a slight inconsistency near the end, I just couldn't bring my rating up quite so high, but I'm keeping it close. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 9, 2016 |
$1.99 on Amazon (Daily Deal) 3-28-14
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |

"Set in 1920s New York City, this is the story of budding magician Anna Van Housen, who has spent her whole life playing sidekick to her faux-medium mother--and trying to hide the fact the she actually possesses the very abilities her mother fakes"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible