Margaret from Maine by Joseph Monninger

Margaret from Maine (edition 2012)

by Joseph Monninger

5319221,808 (3.52)6
Member:loralu
Title:Margaret from Maine
Authors:Joseph Monninger
Info:Thorndike Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Hardcover
Rating:***

Margaret From Maine by Joseph Monninger

The concept of the story is nice but the way it's written, I had to continually remind myself that it was a modern day story, not something from years ago. AndI know this will sound like a strange criticism for a romance novel, but there is way too much kissing. It actually takes away from the flow of the story sometimes. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
Review:Margaret from Maine by Joseph Monninger.

This is not my everyday type of book but it was well written and I enjoyed the sentiment behind the story. When things around us are so involved with the Military and Veterans a story of this magnitude hits home. It’s a based on romance but also it reflects on what happens to our military and their families. The strength of the main character, Margaret Kennedy is overpowering.

Margaret Kennedy’s husband, Thomas was considered a war hero. When he left his comfortable farm life to serve for his country he was an energetic happy farmer living on his father’s farm with Margaret and their baby boy, Gordon. Margaret loved the farm and all the animals too. She helped with all the farm work and continued milking cows and feeding livestock even after Thomas went to Afghanistan.

Tom was back home in Maine now and his son was six years old but he never got to remember his father. His father came home in a coma and never woke up. He only knows his father by visiting him in a Veterans home a few miles from their farm. Margaret went and visited Tom about every other day but thought is was better if their son went less. At that time Thomas had been in the Veterans Home for about four years in a vegetated state lying on a bed that was made to turn him in a rotating position to prevent bed sores.

That was only a brief incident to the story but never forgotten. The author kept Thomas’s character within the book throughout. The story is about Margaret and how she remained devoted to her husband after falling in love with another Foreign Service officer, Charlie King. She was invited to an award ceremony in the nation’s capitol for her husband and Charlie King was her escort. He was still in the military but had also been injured and had one leg amputated. Charlie had gone through a tragedy himself and had to learn how to walk all over again with a prosthetic leg and go through the emotions of finding how to stay in the military and to do something he would enjoy. Soon Charlie would be leaving the States for a diplomatic post in Africa that he was excited to do and had been waiting for.

One thing leads to another and Charlie and Margaret fall in love. Hesitant but after being lonely for years she surrenders to a few days of romance. Now Margaret has a major decision to make and it torments her to no end. Will Margaret of Maine find a solution to the love and devotion she feels for her husband Thomas or the love and happiness she has for Charlie…..A great story with tears among the pages and love for Margaret’s strength and happiness….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
A sadly "sweet" story with the emphasis on sweet. I liked The World As We Know It better. The last "chapter" in this audio version, read by Tavia Gilbert, easily brings tears to one's eyes. I really liked the author's effort to show war from the injured family's point of view---how can it ever be worth it once you're in their shoes but so often, as shown, people get into situations for all kinds of reasons, not realizing what could happen as that situation evolves....a tragedy in so many directions. ( )
  nyiper | Mar 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Margaret from Maine by Joseph Monninger; an ARC/ER; thank you

Margaret is widowed in almost every sense of the word. Her husband lies in a nursing home in a vegetative state after having been injured in Afghanistan. She remains a very loyal wife and feels responsible for him and to him. She cares for their young son and works the family dairy farm along with her father-in-law.
In the meanwhile, she falls in love with another man but does not permit herself to pursue this relationship because her husband is still technically 'alive'. The story highlights the grief that many military families experience. Grief in all forms and not just that reserved for death. ( )
3 vote rainpebble | Feb 7, 2014 |
Margaret from Maine by Joseph Monninger
This book is about Margaret and it starts out with the injury of her husband in the war. He was told the dairy farm would receive help from the government if he went to fight for his country. He's now in a coma.
6 years later we find Margaret at the farm milking the cows, doing daily chores.
her father in law Benjamin runs the farm with help from her and her and Thomas' son, Gordon.
Story also follows Charlie who is an amputee and he is to escort Margaret to DC to be with the president when he signs a law.
Love they read a book to Gordon nightly! Listening to the evening at the ball sounds so luscious.
Love the travel and locations they travel to as I've never been to DC.
The book also follows Donny and Blake and their problems with life. Gordon also has nightmares and tries to figure things out.
This book was recommended from another author and I love how the flowers are related to the chapters and the story that are being told.
Nods to this book as not many can bring tears and very hidden feelings out.
Loved the travel, story line and the things I learned, and I will seek out other books by this author, like they style of writing. ( )
  jbarr5 | Mar 15, 2013 |
When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd

And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd -- and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

-- Walt Whitman
This novel is dedicated in loving memory of my mother, Mary Deborah Brennan Monninger.
The last sound Maine Guardsman Sgt. Thomas Kennedy heard was the whine of a mosquito.

Brought together by war, separated by duty, a love story for the ages.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Margaret from Maine by Joseph Monninger was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,285,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible