The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers

The Comfort of Lies (edition 2013)

by Randy Susan Meyers

Member:Cherylk
Title:The Comfort of Lies
Authors:Randy Susan Meyers
Info:Atria Books (2013), Kindle Edition, 336 pages

The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers (Author)

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
I found this author via her connection with Robin Black....they seem to be friends of some sort, have appeared together at events, and this book is partly about problems in marriage relationships, as is Black's "Life Drawing". Robin Black is, however, a far superior writer in my opinion. Ms Meyers has a good idea for a story here. Meyers is (partly) exploring the impact on a relationship of lack of truthfulness and openness. (She is also looking at motherhood - is there a 'good' mother? who should be a mother? what if you turn out to be not such a great mother? etc). She has one (adoptive) mother - a paediatric oncologist - finding that she's bored with her child, doesn't want to read the same bedtime story over and over, doesn't want to spend ages playing tedious games with dolls, etc. The woman has done the adoption under pressure from her husband. I expect there would be parts of American society, especially in Meyers' target audience demographic, that would be horrified by this and might even deny that such a person could exist! The same character is also tempted to develop a relationship with a man who she meets at a conference. She does initially establish some kind of internet-only relationship but then she terminates it when she realizes the potential destructiveness of having such a relationship and keeping it secret from her husband. In the same way, the man who fathered the girl who ended up being adopted by the oncologist, did keep the child's possible existence secret from his wife and this is clearly destructive to their relationship. All these issues are worth exploring and the Meyers tries hard to pull together a good story which connects them all. Unfortunately, she's not blessed with Robin Black's ability and the book doesn't really achieve its potential. It degenerates into what is almost a kind of romantic chick-lit at times, and I found the ending quite unsatisfying. ( )
  oldblack | Oct 30, 2014 |
Randy Susan Meyers was among a few authors noted in a recent blog post reflecting on why people enjoy emotional, dramatic reads... As this is my favorite type of read, I looked forward to reading one of her novels.

Myers successfully pulled me into the story with Tia's tangible longing for the married Nathan. The story winds slowly through the lives of all connected in the affair: the lovers, the illegitimate child borne of the affair, the adoptive parents, and the bitter wife of the straying husband.

My interest waned a bit during some of the longer, self-expository of the characters, but for the most part, I found it to be an insightful, honest read. I particularly enjoyed Juliette's inner monologue, a realistic mixed bag of feelings, surrounding her husband's affair. With adoptive mother, Caroline, we are offered a brutally honest scenario of a woman who fears being found out that her inadequacy as a parent is due to her preference for work over motherhood.

Comfort of Lies does not end all in smiles. But tied up neatly, the story offers us a satisfying conclusion for all characters.

My favorite lines in the book:
Caroline, the adoptive mother, sums up the point of the story: "Don't we all have moments we'd rather forget, and thoughts we wished never came to us?"
The connection between husband and wife, captured eloquently in Juliette's thoughts: Everything good about them lived in that beam of belonging to each other. Wonderful things danced inside that connection. ( )
  SuzanneML | Jun 21, 2014 |
A young woman who gave up her baby for adoption, the baby's father and his wife and family, and the family who adopted the child. Their lives are all intertwined in this touching novel. The reader comes to understand them, warts and all, and want the best possible outcome for all. But what is that? And what about the child? ( )
  cherybear | Mar 6, 2014 |
From my blog

I really enjoyed this story, genuine feel to it but only if you have been through it as one of the women in the book, a friend, mom or counselor. Those that have huge judgments against anything to do with an affair I recommend to stay away from this book, I don't see many being able to enjoy the writing and story without hating it if the topic is a trigger for you.

I loved the title Comfort of Lies, I didn't think it was so much the affair which was an obvious lie and not even the white lies but rather the waiting for the right time to divulge information necessary for loved ones to make important decisions, which definitely is a comfort at the time for the one withholding the information.

I most understood the story of Caroline, she was the woman who adopted the baby girl created from the affair. She wanted to please her husband and wanted to be the perfect career mom without having to give up her career. She had ill feelings on giving quality time to her daughter and doing 'mommy' things. I think some moms will have a hard time understanding her thoughts but I found them to be honest and when she finally gave enough of those thoughts to her husband, he supported her through them.

Tia who had the affair, loved Nathan, he was her everything and she knew he shouldn't have been but he was a real 'true love', to her. I understood this love too, love shadowed her thoughts, she didn't think, love took over. I understood why she decided to give her daughter up for adoption, this was explained well. Tia's journey was intriguing, I got it and appreciated her character.

Juliette was the most complex to me. She had what some would call a charmed life, recognised and appreciated it. Her husband was honest about the affair when he ended it and she worked through it, not easily but she did until the letter arrives saying he has a 5 year old daughter. Juliette's reaction was extreme but again I got it, when the rug is pulled from under you, do you really know how you will fall or if you will balance without falling. You can say how you will react but you never really know.

Great storyline, I really enjoyed every moment. All the women connect at some point because Tia chose an open adoption, we learn a lot about this choice. My favourite is that it was told by the multiple characters, the women and Nathan, I love this style, it was done perfectly.

Memorable Quote

"The philosophy of comfort does not take into consideration several very important factors, one being that open adoption should not be based on making the adults involved comfortable; rather it should be about providing for the needs of the child." ( )
  marcejewels | Feb 13, 2014 |

No Happily-Ever-After, but the story was tied up neatly, and offers a satisfying conclusion for all characters. ( )
  saylink | Jan 25, 2014 |
Meyers has crafted an absorbing and layered
drama that explores the complexities of infidelity, forgiveness, and family.
added by randysmeyers | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley (Jan 1, 2013)

"The characters crackle with both intelligence and wit . . . Meyers’ women resonate as strong, complicated and conflicted, and the writing flows effortlessly in this sweet yet sassy novel about love, women and motherhood.”
added by randysmeyers | editKirkus

In "The Comfort of Lies", a little girl’s birthday triggers a collision course for three women: the woman who gave birth to her, the woman whose husband fathered her, and the woman who adopted her, forcing them to make decisions about marriage, motherhood, and their careers, and face the damage of infidelity.

"An affair between bright young student Tia and Nathan, a charismatic married sociology professor, ends when Tia becomes pregnant. After urging her to get rid of the baby, Nathan tells his wife, Juliette, about the affair and never sees Tia again. Tia has a daughter and then gives her up for adoption to workaholic pathologist Caroline and her husband, Peter, who dotes on the child. Five years later, Juliette intercepts a letter from Tia that starts, "Dear Nathan, This is our daughter." Inside is a photo of the girl, Savannah, and a promise to "help her get in touch" with Nathan in the future. Her trust in Nathan strained once more, Juliette goes in search of Caroline, who regrets neglecting Savannah."--Publishers Weekly.… (more)

Randy Susan Meyers is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible