Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug by Tad Hills

Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug

by Tad Hills

Sometimes, you just need a hug and poor Goose is having a hard time getting his friends to understand that. But, it all works out in the end and hugs are had. :) ( )
  s.michellehos | Dec 6, 2013 |
Richie's Picks: DUCK & GOOSE: GOOSE NEEDS A HUG by Tad Hills, Schwartz & Wade, December 2012, 22p., ISBN: 978-0-307-98293-3

"A hug is a near universal form of physical intimacy, in which two people put their arms around the neck, back, or waist of one another and hold each other closely. If more than two persons are involved, this is referred to as a group hug." -- Wikipedia definition

"Say the word and you'll be free
Say the word and be like me"
-- Lennon & McCartney

"The Word found The Beatles singing for the first time about love as a notional concept. It was a turning point in their writing, marking a transition between early songs such as She Loves You, and the psychedelic era's belief that All You Need is Love."
-- from beatlesbible.com

"I'm feeling sad. I think I need--
"Wait! We know what will cheer you up. Let's play hide-and-seek!
"No, thank you. I just need--"

Wait. Wait. Now, I'll tell you. Duck and Duck's friends are not from my neck of the woods. Duck and Duck's friends are just not getting it. That is, getting what Goose really needs.

It's different here in the San Francisco Bay area where the Summer of Love took place forty-six years ago. This here is the land of hugs.

Here, when you meet someone for the first time, you give them a big hug. Here, when you say good morning to your housemates or friends or coworkers, or when someone comes home, or when someone's just dealt with anything at all challenging, you give them a big hug. You walk in to pick up a slice of pizza or a tempeh burger to go? You give the owner and the waitresses a hug. When you go into a job interview? You start by going around the room and hugging everybody. It's easy. It feels great. Children here are raised to instinctively hug everyone and everything they meet. Here, we need the kind of books that warn children not to hug skunks.

But in other parts of the world, like Back East, Down South, or A Thousand Miles From Any Decent Surfing, little kids and even lots of grownups often need help in learning about hugging. I can tell sometimes that I'm far from home because I'll be at some convention and I'll walk up to an author I haven't previously met and give him or her a big hug and get a vibe like I'm from another planet. This can be a problem.

And so you have here the tale of Goose needing a hug and having his friends offering everything else in the world to him. When they finally let him get a word in, he tells them what he is really needing, and -- lucky for him -- they happily oblige. What he needs, of course, same as anybody else, is a hug.

Here, we all know about hugs. Now the rest of the United States gets to catch up on the magic of hugging thanks to this great board book.

Now come on over here.

Let me give you a hug.

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/ http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php ( )
  richiespicks | May 1, 2013 |
I have four new board books from Random House to look at today. Two are specifically holiday-themed and the others could also be used around Valentine's Day. I will say first of all that I personally think celebrating Valentine's Day is kind of pointless for small children, asides from the easiness of the crafts (lots of pink paper and glitter makes everybody happy) but parents really like this holiday and never have I been allowed to forget the year I did a snake-themed storytime instead.

So, we begin with 10 Valentine Friends, a counting book. This is a tried and true formula from author Janet Schulman and illustrator Linda Davick. They also have a Halloween, Christmas and Easter book in the same format. Bland rhymes and flat, digital pictures walk the reader through Valentines for each child in the story. A separate space on the side of each page shows the cards made so far. It's easy to count, strongly holiday-themed, and boring. However, there aren't too many Valentine's Day books, parents ask for them, and they like the counting aspect. A book doesn't have to be amazing to be a successfully circulating title and this one will definitely go out every Valentine's Day. If buying for the library, I'd purchase the hardcover, rather than the board book, although even very young children can appreciate the counting aspect.

Next, we have Duck & Goose: Goose Needs a Hug. This is Tad Hills' very successful board book line with simple concepts illustrated by his cheery team of little birds. In this title, Goose is feeling sad and his friends keep trying to cheer him up. Finally, they take the time to listen to what he wants and find out that he just needs a hug. This would make a nice, non-romantic Valentine's Day read for even the youngest ones in your storytimes and Hills is expert at including just the right amount of text for young listeners. This is a definite must to add to your board book collection.

This is one of the lovelier bedtime board books I've seen, with sweet little rhymes and glowing pictures. A little bunny is inspired by the parent bunny to cuddle up in bed and "dream of water-lily beds/where baby peepers rest their heads./a daddy frog sings low and deep,/lulling all the pond to sleep." Each spread features a different verse about a different aspect of nature, including sunny days, clouds and sky, night sky, stars, etc. The pictures are my favorite part of this sweet little board book, with softly glowing pastels and cute, happy faces. I'm not really 100% behind this as a board book, since I feel the rhyming text is too long for most children aged two and under, which is who I buy board books for, however it's also available as a hardcover picture book. This would make a nice Valentine's Day present or a sweet read for an evening storytime.

This final board book is what I'd think of as a novelty book. It's a counting book, counting little hearts doing silly things, with a final spread that pops out a thin cardboard heart saying "I love you." The pictures are cute and parents will like this one, but it's not something I'd recommend. The hearts are hard to differentiate from the illustrations, at least for a young audience. In one spread there are bubbles and heart-shaped bubbles, in another heart-shaped balloons and clouds. Older children would have no problem with this, but I can't see a reason to be reading this very small board book to an older child. The pop-out heart at the end will last about 30 seconds on the regular board book shelf.

10 Valentine Friends: A holiday counting book by Janet Schulman, illustrated by Linda Davick
ISBN: 9780375871306; This edition published 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf/Random House; Review copy provided by the publisher; Added to the library.

Duck & Goose: Goose needs a hug by Tad Hills
ISBN: 9780307982933; Published 2012 by Schwartz & Wade/Random House; Review copy provided by the publisher; Added to the library

Sweet Dreams Lullaby by Betsy Snyder
ISBN: 9780307980601; This edition published 2012 by Random House; Review copy provided by the publisher; Added to the library

Tweet Hearts by Susan Reagan
ISBN: 9780307931535; Published 2012 by Robin Corey/Random House; Review copy provided by the publisher; Added to the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Feb 16, 2013 |

Goose is feeling sad and he needs a hug. His friends are all too willing to help cheer him up: with happy songs, splashing in puddles, even standing on their heads. The only thing they forget to do is actually listen to Goose. All he really needs is a hug!

This is a very cute and simple book that will appeal to very young children. And we all need a hug sometimes!

My three-year-old daughter Magda liked this book very much, especially when they "splashed in puddles and standed on their heads" but I think it would be even better for children a little younger.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Oct 29, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307982939, Board book)

Duck & Goose are back in this sturdy board book, perfect for preschoolers! And this time, New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tad Hills brings our favorite feathered friends out to celebrate Valentine's Day. What does Goose need more than anything this Valentine's Day? A hug from a good friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

Goose is feeling sad and really needs something, but what? A game of tag? A splash in a puddle? Or maybe just a big hug?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,246,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible